Suspension Rebuild - Let's cover everything

Bottoms out? Shimmies? Shackles, springs, shocks, steering linkage etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Suspension' category are here.

Postby yuke175 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:13 am

So it seems there is a lot of good information across the forums, but I have not seen one thread that encompasses everything needed for a suspension rebuild. I hope to start a dialogue here that can encompass everything.

I have a new 67 Patrol. My first plan of attack is to strip the frame clean as it needs to be repaired in a few places. Once I have a freshly repaired and painted frame my next step will be suspension and I am trying to wrap my head around everything.

- Springs - Let's start here. From what I see these will need to be custom made. Alcan seems to be the go to option here. I have sent Alcan a request for quote as well as a few other local spring shops.

- Lifts - If springs are being custom built, I am sure some lift can be built in.
- What amount of lift is safe without having to rebuild and re engineer everything?
- At what point is the crossmember an issue for the driveshaft?
- At what point do driveshafts need to be lengthened?

I do not with to build a monster, but I can't help but think an extra 2" or so would look sharp.

- Shackles -
- I read somewhere that new MQ front shackles will work on the front and rear of the G60?
- Do i need to replace my shackles or can they be refinished with new bushings etc?
- Do people use lift shackles?

That should be a good start... hopefully this can evolve into an all encompassing suspension conversation.
yuke175 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:51 am

Great idea!

Alcan seems to be the go to for springs. Some people have had their local spring shops do the same thing for them.

Without reengineering a 2" lift is the max you want to go. Any more than that and the shackles will invert. A 2" lift is a very nice stance for a Patrol.

Get new shackles, greasable ones. I can't recall hearing any feedback about using lift shackles.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby yuke175 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:05 pm

Spoke to Alcan today.

They quoted me $560 for the front springs, and $620 for the rears for a total of $1180. They also mentioned 2" of lift would be no issue to incorporate.

I also spoke to Donovan Springs in NH due to a thread on this forum. He quoted be about $800 total, but he would need my oem springs to use as a guide. Due to distance this is not an option for me.

Replacement shackles... Is there a go to brand?

I do not want to have to reengineer everything so let's talk about a max of 2" of lift. What else needs to be accounted for, Will the limiters need to be lengthened? Will I have issues with the crossmember?
yuke175 Offline

Postby yuke175 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:18 pm

It looks like I may have found pins. http://shop.snakeracing.com.au/patrol-g ... ront-rear/

Unsure if I need one or two of those kits at this time.

I also beleive I read that MQ shackles can be used front and rear on the G60. https://4wd1.com/mq-front-shackles.html
yuke175 Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:05 am

If the pins look like the picture in the ad they won't work. The 60 series pins don't have the collar. Those shackles look like they should work. It depends on the length and diameter of the pins.

With a 2" lift you won't need to worry about the crossmember. The only limiter is at the front diff and it can be adjusted.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby yuke175 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:48 pm

So the hunt for proper pins begins...
yuke175 Offline

Postby yuke175 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:10 pm

So I am pulling the trigger on Alcan Springs today. It seems to be the best tried and true method here in the US. They even come with bushings.

As stated, I think it would be beneficial to have an all encompasing thread for newcommers as it seems there is lots of information here, but it can be spread out.

Next, shocks for 2" lift. Does anybody have some advice?
yuke175 Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:56 pm

Mr. Yuke,

I have lifted one Patrol two inches, which is said to be the max lift. I knew better than to lift it but I bought tires too quick and they required the lift. Lifting the Patrol has thrown off the steering and handling. The unlifted Patrols are much more stable and ride much better.

My advice:

- do not lift it at all
- do not let Alcan talk you into their "soft" spring Patrol package. It is too soft unless it is parade vehicle. My collapsed during the first field test.

Best O luck,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:41 am

My experience with a two inch lift didn't affect the steering at all. Everything was stock other than the springs, which added the lift. No lifted shackles, etc. Steering was fine. Also Ozzie that I recently sold had at least a shackle lift and body lift, again steering was not affected. I would think you'd have to go a lot higher than 2" to affect the steering.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby L60Boerne » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:34 pm

RiverPatrol, I glad it worked out for you.

My poor experience is likely due to my mechanics and it is possible the steering on the 63 was "loose" before the lift....but in the two rigs I have lifted the lift resulted in loosen steering (much increased play in the wheel) plus never have the mechanics been able to correctly attach the anti-sway bars after the lift.

Patrolling when possible,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Next

Return to Suspension & Steering