How-to: Convert to Pertronix electronic ignition

Posts by members with instructions on how to do certain mechanical projects.

Postby RiverPatrol » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:55 pm

They came on just about every North American Patrol, through '69.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby CFCpatrol » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:03 pm

I just replaced my distributor with the forklift distributor shown in the thread. I did the electronic conversion, coil and wires and it really made a big difference. The problem I ran into is that the new distributor is about 10 degrees out of phase with the old distributor which means that the locking bolt is runs into the end of the slot before I get the timing adjusted to where it needs to be. Anyone else run into this problem and/or have a solution?
CFCpatrol Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby Esteban » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:02 pm

I do remember from years, years ago that I ran into this problem.

When Nissan came out with this model of distributor, they also modified the base, with it pointing straight out, and not at a slight angle like the other. That the explanation for your out of phase. The distributor is attached to a plate that in turn is the one that is bolted to the base at the engine; this base can be rotated a little bit but probably not enough for what you need. I think that in my case I drilled another hole in the engine base. I no longer have that base, and the one I have was made by a machine shop at that time, since I couldn't find a spare base.

One way will be to modify the hole in the plate. Another, could be that our friends in Australia send you a used base for this distributor.

I will try to take some pictures tomorrow to show you what I have. I know that the route of a machine shop can be too expensive. I did mine years ago in Ecuador, when this type of labor was reasonable.

There are a couple of members that have installed the forklift distributor, and hopefully can shed some light on their solution.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby CFCpatrol » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:10 am

Thanks for the reply. I think I have it licked. I cut the slot open at the end adjacent to the engine then TIG welded a loop onto the open end that I made from a piece of angle iron. It wasn't all that pretty, but it should do trick. I now have enough play to rotate the distributor to set my timing.
CFCpatrol Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby EricB » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:07 pm

Out of curiosity what function did the two hardline vacuum lines that go from the water protect distributor to the air cleaner achieve ?

Obviously the forklift / century distributor doesn't have provisions for these and I can't see anything wrong with just removing them and leaving the connections unplugged at the air cleaner housing

thx

-e
EricB Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Flaggoni » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:03 pm

The two lines are for ventilating any condensation or crankcase vapors inside the distributor.
A non-waterproof dizzy has adequate venting under its non-sealed cap.
The two lines originally attached to two fittings on the air filter located in areas of slightly differing air pressure, thus causing a slight flow of air through the distributor.
Mild Bill
Flaggoni Offline

Postby Mr. Zero » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:56 am

Thank you to Rob and everyone else who has contributed to this thread. I'm looking forward to making this conversion soon. :twisted:

Rob, it seems that a few of the images are now broken in the OP. Any chance you can update them for us?

Thanks again! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jason @battlebornpinzgauer
[1975 Pinzgauer 710K 2.7L EFI]
Mr. Zero Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….
So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby curlrider11 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:15 am

Hey guys, love this thread and am ready to get rid of my points and go to a pertronix system as well. I have the waterproof distributor so I ordered the specific kit for it. In this thread You're installing it in a new distributor which isn't mounted yet. Is there any reason that I couldn't do the swap without removing the distributor from the motor? Trying to make it as simple as possible without removing parts that might not go back together too easily or mess with my timing too much. ( Though I figure I'll have to adjust timing afterwards anyway) any insight? Big giant thank you for making this thread!
"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice. " Pr. 12:15
curlrider11 Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:41 pm

Good question! No need to remove the distributor, you can do the installation in place.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby curlrider11 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:30 pm

Thanks friend! Helpful to know.
"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice. " Pr. 12:15
curlrider11 Offline

PreviousNext

Return to How To's