Alternator woes

Flames? Lights wiring, alternator/generator, etc.

Postby G60michael » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:32 am

Hi been having alternator issues and the auto elec says rotors had it and shorting to earth. Its a 1970 g60 and had hitatchi alternator with main earth lead and main battery wire as well on the harness to alternator the push on plug contains 4 wires.

Whats involved in converting to a later g60 one with main earth and battery wires but only 2 wires in push on plug.57905789

G60michael Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby Esteban » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:13 am

Michael, it's very simple and straightforward. I've gone in the past through part of your route, having converted from a generator, to the 4 wire terminal alternator, to the 2 wire terminal that you want right now.

You can keep the voltage regulator that you have currently, provided is in good order.

And of the 4 wires in the harness that go to the alternator, you just connect the White/Black wire to the White/Black of the new terminal, and the same for the Yellow to Yellow.

The White wire of the harness can be connected to the big BAT terminal post of the new alternator, along the big White/Red cable. It's there to give battery voltage reference to the regulator.

The Black wire of the harness is ground, and will need to go to the E terminal screw on the new alternator.

If you're going to change the regulator as well, let me know. Since the Patrol doesn't have the "charge light" in the instrument panel, a very simple electronic regulator can be fitted.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby G60michael » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:30 pm

Good morning Esteben, thankyou mate for once again the Prompt, professional and extremely knowledgeable advice you have all ways offered to us members a real big asset to this community, thanks mate. I will have a look at it this afternoon, any woes ill send you a message, you really make life a breeze when I get to the very rare g60 issue I cant solve myself, sorry actually that's anything electrical :lol:

Thanks mate, Kind Regards G60mike :banana-explosion:
G60michael Offline

Return to Electrical