Ignition Solenoid

Flames? Lights wiring, alternator/generator, etc.

Postby CBlake » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:56 pm

I recently reinstalled my original starter solenoid on my 66 and running into a problem.

When I reconnect the battery, it clicks and stays engaged even when the ignition switch is off and I’m not pressing the starter button. The engine will start and run fine, but that solenoid stays energized.

I have the 2 Black/white wires going to the SW terminal, 1 black/yellow wire going to the S terminal, and the 1 black wire going to the B terminal wire.

I had a modern solenoid wired in and it didn’t do this.

According to the wiring diagram, I believe it’s wired correctly.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks!
Located in central Missouri
1966 Hardtop
1964 very modified Hardtop
1967 Parts
1968 Parts
1962 Softy - SOLD
CBlake Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby Esteban » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:29 am

CBlake wrote:...

I have the 2 Black/white wires going to the SW terminal, 1 black/yellow wire going to the S terminal, and the 1 black wire going to the B terminal wire.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks!

According to the wiring diagram that I have, your connections might be incorrec. Please take a look at the following clip from the diagram. Although it's in Spanish, the wiring colors are the same.

The (2) Black/White BW wires are going to the B terminal of the relay.
The Black/Yellow BY to the SW terminal
The Black B wire to the S terminal

Starter Relay.jpg

This relay was used on the earlier Patrols, so not all members will be familiar with it. Certainly can be replaced with other as you has tried.

It could also be the case that the contacts are remaining stuck to each after you let go the switch. It's feasible to carefully open and clean the contacts, and file them smooth. I've done that, and then apply a thin bead of silicone to the cover so it will be good to go for years to come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby CBlake » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:30 pm

I don’t think I’ve seen that wiring diagram before, but that solved my problem.

You’re right about the contacts as well. That’s exactly what I did and it’s worked like brand new when I bench tested it. I figured it must be the wiring somehow.

Thanks so much Esteban!
Located in central Missouri
1966 Hardtop
1964 very modified Hardtop
1967 Parts
1968 Parts
1962 Softy - SOLD
CBlake Offline

Postby poinrobe » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:07 am

Esteban wrote:
CBlake wrote:...

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks!

According to the wiring diagram that I have, your connections might be incorrec. Please take a look at the following clip from the diagram. Although it's in Spanish, the wiring colors are the same.

The (2) Black/White BW wires are going to the B terminal of the relay.
The Black/Yellow BY to the SW terminal
The Black B wire to the S terminal

Starter Relay.jpg

This relay was used on the earlier Patrols, so not all members will be familiar with it. Certainly can be replaced with other as you has tried.

It could also be the case that the contacts are remaining stuck to each after you let go the switch. It's feasible to carefully open and clean the contacts, and file them smooth. I've done that, and then apply a thin bead of silicone to the cover so it will be good to go for years to come.

Esteban- Is there any chance you could post a picture of the COMPLETE wiring diagram you included above? It appears to be the exact one I am looking for. The wiring diagrams that are available in the technical sections of 60Patrol are all for vehicles wired for Negative Ground. The diagram above appears to be for the earlier, Positive ground.

Thanks, Mark
poinrobe Offline

Return to Electrical