'69 Tail light wiring

Flames? Lights wiring, alternator/generator, etc.

Postby jwgreen » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:47 am

Can anyone explain to me how the wiring and tail lights work on a 69??

So I was looking over the wiring diagram to try and finish up my wiring and noticed that there seems to be no wire for a brake light really....unless I'm crazy.

The wires that run to the back are WB/WR for turn signals, Y for fuel, RB for Reverse and a GW for stop/running light.

If I'm reading the 69 diagram correctly the GW is attached to the GW that goes to the instrument back lights.

The stop switch is wired from the Hazard switch then to the Turn signal but then never exits :think: :think: :doh:

Anyone see something different?? So the stock round 69 tail lights are Running lights and Turn signals or are they Brake lights and Turn signals but no running light??

The later wiring diagrams show a different style taillight that has all 3 and the wiring is much different but I'm extremely confused on these 69 lights and wiring.
wiring_diag_69-1.pdf

Edit: I did a temp wire up the way the 69 diagram shows and all I got was running lights and turn signal, no brake lights :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Justin
jwgreen Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:45 am

This should really have it's own thread because it's not a quick question. But whatever...

I recall the '69 being especially confusing in that regard due to the wiring of the new style turn signal switch and the addition of the hazard light switch. It's been too long though and I don't recall the exact results.

What wires do you have at the rear and on the tail lights? As I recall you're going to have GW and GR at the tail light but they connect to the WB/WR further up the harness, near the starter if I remember correctly.

Yes, the tail lights work as brake, running and turn signal lights.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby jwgreen » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:57 am

RiverPatrol wrote:This should really have it's own thread because it's not a quick question. But whatever...

I recall the '69 being especially confusing in that regard due to the wiring of the new style turn signal switch and the addition of the hazard light switch. It's been too long though and I don't recall the exact results.

What wires do you have at the rear and on the tail lights? As I recall you're going to have GW and GR at the tail light but they connect to the WB/WR further up the harness, near the starter if I remember correctly.

Yes, the tail lights work as brake, running and turn signal lights.

My harness only has the WR, WB, Y, RB and GW.....no GR

Tail lights have GW and WR/WB no other wires on the taillights themselves
Justin
jwgreen Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:17 pm

Ok, since I sent you the tail lights I have a little insight, because I have pics. :D

This picture shows a GW and (possibly) GR coming off the tail light itself. At the connectors they connect to a GW and a WB it looks like. You have the advantage here, this is the best pic I have. It does jog my memory though. The GW from the harness goes to each tail light. The one tail light gets the WB and the other gets the WR.

IMG_8065D-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby jwgreen » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:33 pm

You are correct, there is a GW and a GY coming from the tail light they connect to the GW and either a WR or WB

I still can't figure out how this will make them operate as a running and stop light with only 1 wire. :think: :think:

I will try hooking it back up temporarily again and see if I can get it to work, but when I did that yesterday I just got running lights and no brake lights.
Justin
jwgreen Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:54 pm

I went through the same thing with mine. It was a matter of swapping the wires between terminals, testing the circuit all the way from the brake light switch back, etc. I did end up having an additional problem that I traced through this routine. Within the factory wrapped wiring somewhere there was an open circuit. It ended up being right above the axle. The harness had never been removed from the clips on the frame, the original wrap was undisturbed.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby plateaucal » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:56 pm

Hopefully I understand your question. There are only two elements, thus only two wires. GW powers the running lights and license light. There is a jumper wire that runs off of GW (right side I think) to the license lamp and the other running light(left side). WR (left) and WB (right) are the brake/turn signal wires. These hook to the brighter element on the 1157 bulb.
plateaucal Offline

Postby jwgreen » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:30 pm

Ok, so you are saying that the WR/WB actuate both the brake and turn signal using the same filament??

Hmmm.....I will investigate this further when I get back from my trip into town.

Stay tuned.....
Justin
jwgreen Offline

Postby plateaucal » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:38 pm

Indeed sir. All conventional old school turn signal/brake lights are like that. Plus it shows it on the wiring diagram. If you look at how you wire up a trailer, it is the same way.
plateaucal Offline

Postby jwgreen » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:38 pm

plateaucal wrote:Indeed sir. All conventional old school turn signal/brake lights are like that. Plus it shows it on the wiring diagram. If you look at how you wire up a trailer, it is the same way.

Crazy!!! :? :?
Justin
jwgreen Offline

Next

Return to Electrical