Sig Sauer P290RS

Product reviews and opinions, news worth sharing, etc.

Postby MadTripper » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:43 pm

I had been looking for a compact carry pistol over the last year and finally decided on the Sig Sauer P290RS. When looking, I found the Ruger LC9 and also the Kahr PM40. Both are quite capable carry guns but being a Sig owner, P229 in 40 cal., I have become favorable towards Sig Sauer's products. At this point, the LC9 is a bit lower in price while the PM40 is slightly above. The PM40 would have been nice because I didn't own a 9mm until now so I wouldn't have had to worry about different ammunition sizes.
After researching and making my decision, I checked local shop pricing and it would seem I'd be in the $700 range by the time I paid taxes and fees. I ended up ordering online and having it shipped to my local FFL dealer. This ended up saving me over $100.00.

First impression
I really like the size and quality of the gun. The P290 is slightly larger than both the LC9 and the PM40 however it is still more than compact enough to carry undetected. The weight is just over 20 oz so if waistband carry is desired, it won't be pulling your pants down. I haven't picked up a holster for ankle carry yet but I would envision there would be no noticeable bumps unless you are wearing skinny jeans.
The packaging contained the pistol, two magazines (one is 6 round and another is 8 round with grip extension), a lock, a small tube of lubrication, laser, and instructions. I was a little disappointed that there was not a hard carry case but that is remedied easily enough and to be honest, this pistol will be holstered most of the time anyways.

Setup
There really wasn't too much to do here except I did have to mount and sight the laser in. The slide is removed and a dummy plug is pulled. The laser aligns to the front of the trigger guard and a retainer inserts into the frame. A twist of the retainer and it is locked into position. There are two hex screws (wrench included) that adjust windage and elevation. I do not own a bore sight so I relied on my rail sights to match up to the laser which worked well. I still need to tweak a bit however 99% of the time, I'll be using the rail sights.
I performed a quick inspection and proceeded to load both magazines.

Firing
The first thing that was noticeable was the trigger pull. This pistol is a double action only gun so every pull of the trigger is complete front to back. I have shot these types before however never owned one myself. The manufacturer claim is approximately 9 lbs of trigger pull. This took some getting used to but after a few magazines, I started to feel the trigger out and noticed some points along the trigger path which helped me keep on target and anticipate the actual firing.
The first shots were fired at about 5 yards. My group was all within 5 inches which I was quite happy with. As the day progressed, I moved that group to less then 3 inches. The recoil is pretty easy to deal with which can be an issue with the compact carry guns. Additionally the slide sights are tridium night sights which were dead on from the factory.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with this pistol and would recommend it to anyone considering a purchase. Sig Sauer has always put out a top notch product although their pricing does reflect that. I would not be opposed to purchasing the LC9 by Ruger or the PM40 by Kahr however I am glad I stuck with the Sig line of products.

Tripper

sig_290.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MadTripper Offline

User avatar
You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…
 
Posts: 311
Images: 47
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:11 pm
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 79 times
Location:

Postby bosque » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:56 pm

I have a Glock 17 and like it very much and more important am really used to it and that long travel trigger pull just before "the" action. I went to shoott with a friend who owns Sig 9mm and was so impressed with the quality of this manufacturer.
Good buy. :greetings-waveyellow:
bosque Offline


Helping others revive their Patrol…
Helping others revive their Patrol…
 
Posts: 1622
Images: 62
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:35 am
Location: Bishop, CA
Has thanked: 311 times
Been thanked: 175 times
Location: Bishop/Mammoth Lakes, CA

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Very detailed write up, thank you for the good info.

I also recently made a firearms purchase - 2 actually. My needs were similar in that I wanted something easily concealable yet would also provide a good level of protection. My biggest criteria was that it had to be very easy to operate due to the significant arthritis I have in my hands. That pretty much eliminated all semi-autos; I can't operate the slide.

The one semi-auto that I am able to operate has a lever to flip the barrel open to chamber the first round. This I can do. So I ended up getting the Baretta Tomcat .32 ACP. Compact, snagless, easy to operate, 7/1 round capacity, lightweight. The trigger pressure is pretty substantial, so I have to use both hands to pull. But it fits in the side pocket of my purse totally undetected and gives me a sense of security about protecting myself.

baretta_3032_tomcat.jpg


While I was shopping for the Baretta I tried the Ruger SP101 .357Mag Hammerless 2 1/4" revolver. Very nice, I fell in love with the feel of it in my hand. I little heavier and bigger than the Baretta, but I had to have it. The trigger was also pretty heavy so I took it to a gunsmith and they lightened it up a bit. They couldn't do that to the Baretta because the mechanism isn't accessible. The Ruger is compact and smooth enough it could easily fit in a pocket, and being hammerless makes it readily accessible. It is double action with a pretty long pull but easy to get used to.

ruger_sp101.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beyond any hope for intervention

Image
RiverPatrol Offline

User avatar
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 5848
Images: 762
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:42 am
Has thanked: 3915 times
Been thanked: 1218 times
Location: Temecula, CA

Postby miller » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:50 pm

Tough gun laws in Australia means we can only drool from a far. Dave when I come out this year is that offer to go shooting still on the table?
Image
1964 MWB Soft top Patrol - 1972 MWB Soft top Patrol "Diablo" - 1977 MWB V8 "Mr Muck" - 1978 G60 Patrol Ute "HP"
miller Offline

User avatar
I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!
 
Posts: 1077
Images: 95
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:25 pm
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 325 times
Location: Geelong, Australia

Postby limited slip » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:14 pm

yep all we can do from this side of the world is drool- unless your willing to jump through many many hoops and suffer huge scrutiny and be a member of a minority that's freely discriminated against by all other levels of society.
long arms are much easier to license- if you have a genuine reason for them, and even then the cr@p your subjected too is ridiculous- and forget semi auto's of any sort and pump action shotguns too......

cheers
kev
like a gee six
limited slip Offline


So, I just bought this Patrol….
So, I just bought this Patrol….
 
Posts: 95
Images: 21
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:15 pm
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 42 times
Location: cooma nsw

Postby bosque » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:35 pm

As long as you don't shoot me! :o
Hopefully, all this irrelevant squabble about taking guns away will subside. I think it is awesome that some of our nations county sheriffs are saying they will not enforce gun bans/restrictions if told to by the fed gov't and they will keep the federal police out of their counties and from enforcement. We need this thing to quiet down, prices are bonkers....
....7.62 x 39 for the SKS is getting spendo but the tracers are soooooo fun and 38-40 for the old family saddle gun is near crazy when you can find it. I have some shortarms too ....we'll make some things go BANG :!:
bosque Offline


Helping others revive their Patrol…
Helping others revive their Patrol…
 
Posts: 1622
Images: 62
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:35 am
Location: Bishop, CA
Has thanked: 311 times
Been thanked: 175 times
Location: Bishop/Mammoth Lakes, CA

Postby Sierra Patrol » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:53 pm

I can't believe you guys, guns are so evil !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o



Just kidding, nice pistol I'm trying to buy up as much as I can before its to late!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Sierra Patrol Offline


You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…
 
Posts: 149
Images: 11
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:20 pm
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 23 times
Location: Gardnerville, NV

Postby miksum56 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:50 am

Wow River thats an eye opener. That mean you were carrying on my photo shoot the other day??? And to think I had the shotgun for the Roy Rodgers shot and did not even bring any ammo, :lol: :lol: :lol:
RiverPatrol wrote:Very detailed write up, thank you for the good info.

I also recently made a firearms purchase - 2 actually. My needs were similar in that I wanted something easily concealable yet would also provide a good level of protection. My biggest criteria was that it had to be very easy to operate due to the significant arthritis I have in my hands. That pretty much eliminated all semi-autos; I can't operate the slide.

The one semi-auto that I am able to operate has a lever to flip the barrel open to chamber the first round. This I can do. So I ended up getting the Baretta Tomcat .32 ACP. Compact, snagless, easy to operate, 7/1 round capacity, lightweight. The trigger pressure is pretty substantial, so I have to use both hands to pull. But it fits in the side pocket of my purse totally undetected and gives me a sense of security about protecting myself.

baretta_3032_tomcat.jpg


While I was shopping for the Baretta I tried the Ruger SP101 .357Mag Hammerless 2 1/4" revolver. Very nice, I fell in love with the feel of it in my hand. I little heavier and bigger than the Baretta, but I had to have it. The trigger was also pretty heavy so I took it to a gunsmith and they lightened it up a bit. They couldn't do that to the Baretta because the mechanism isn't accessible. The Ruger is compact and smooth enough it could easily fit in a pocket, and being hammerless makes it readily accessible. It is double action with a pretty long pull but easy to get used to.

ruger_sp101.jpg
miksum56 Offline

User avatar
You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…
 
Posts: 389
Images: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:45 pm
Location: Martinez California
Has thanked: 196 times
Been thanked: 50 times
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Postby RiverPatrol » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:36 am

You didn't have any ammo???!!! I thought you did, which is why I left mine in the car! :lol:

miksum56 wrote:Wow River thats an eye opener. That mean you were carrying on my photo shoot the other day??? And to think I had the shotgun for the Roy Rodgers shot and did not even bring any ammo, :lol: :lol: :lol:
RiverPatrol wrote:Very detailed write up, thank you for the good info.

I also recently made a firearms purchase - 2 actually. My needs were similar in that I wanted something easily concealable yet would also provide a good level of protection. My biggest criteria was that it had to be very easy to operate due to the significant arthritis I have in my hands. That pretty much eliminated all semi-autos; I can't operate the slide.

The one semi-auto that I am able to operate has a lever to flip the barrel open to chamber the first round. This I can do. So I ended up getting the Baretta Tomcat .32 ACP. Compact, snagless, easy to operate, 7/1 round capacity, lightweight. The trigger pressure is pretty substantial, so I have to use both hands to pull. But it fits in the side pocket of my purse totally undetected and gives me a sense of security about protecting myself.

baretta_3032_tomcat.jpg


While I was shopping for the Baretta I tried the Ruger SP101 .357Mag Hammerless 2 1/4" revolver. Very nice, I fell in love with the feel of it in my hand. I little heavier and bigger than the Baretta, but I had to have it. The trigger was also pretty heavy so I took it to a gunsmith and they lightened it up a bit. They couldn't do that to the Baretta because the mechanism isn't accessible. The Ruger is compact and smooth enough it could easily fit in a pocket, and being hammerless makes it readily accessible. It is double action with a pretty long pull but easy to get used to.

ruger_sp101.jpg
Beyond any hope for intervention

Image
RiverPatrol Offline

User avatar
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 5848
Images: 762
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:42 am
Has thanked: 3915 times
Been thanked: 1218 times
Location: Temecula, CA

Postby MadTripper » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:21 pm

I realized I had a box of +P ammunition tucked away so I loaded my magazines up for carrying and of course had to take a few shots. There is quite a difference in manners and noise. These bullets are definitely designed for stopping power but the pistol handled very well. I'm very happy with this purchase.

Tripper
MadTripper Offline

User avatar
You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…
 
Posts: 311
Images: 47
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:11 pm
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 79 times
Location:

Postby Grenadier » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Well, alright. I'm liking this forum even more now.

I have a sig P229 in 9mm and it is probably my favorite handgun I've ever tried. I also have an older Sig P230 (.380 cal.) that would be my CCW when I get through the waiting period. The P230 is much like a Walther PPK, but slightly beefier. 7+1 capacity.

I also recently purchased a CZ P-07 Duty that I like very much. Similar in operation to the Sigs, it's got a de-cocking lever (although its position is flipped in correlation to the slide release of the Sig).

I've been looking at getting a .357 revolver like the one River posted, which I think would pair nicely with a Marlin lever action in .357.

-Grenadier
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grenadier Offline

User avatar
So, I just bought this Patrol….
So, I just bought this Patrol….
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:47 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Location: Longmont, CO

Postby Sierra Patrol » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:24 pm

I just picked up a stainless Sig P226
Sierra Patrol Offline


You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…
 
Posts: 149
Images: 11
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:20 pm
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 23 times
Location: Gardnerville, NV

Postby Keith » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:00 pm

Sigs are nice. I have the Ruger LC9 for carry. I like it but not near as much as my Beretta 92fs. hard to hide a full frame pistol though. Recoil in the 9mm carry guns are a bit more. Ruger now has the LC380 which is built on the LC9 frame with a .380 shell. Considering that one for my wife to carry. Any one had experience with it?
Keith Y. (npca-Danette&Keith)
Keith Offline


So, I just bought this Patrol….
So, I just bought this Patrol….
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:14 pm
Location: Berryville, AR
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 16 times
Location: Berryville,AR

Postby moore_rb » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:43 am

Keith wrote: Ruger now has the LC380 which is built on the LC9 frame with a .380 shell. Considering that one for my wife to carry. Any one had experience with it?


I test-shot the LC380 a couple weeks ago - nice pistol, but I didn't think it was nice enough to trade up my beloved 20 year old Makarov 380 - I could paint a tighter pattern at both 10 and 15 yards with the cheap little rusky pistol.

Both have 7+1 capacity, and the Ruger is lighter; but the only thing I really found to be "cheaper" about the Makarov (besides the cost) were the magazines - the ruger clip is more beefy.

The Ruger is a little smaller, and might be easier for concealed carry, and 380 is a nice self-defense bullet for women- kicks about as much as a 22LR.
"Saving the world- One Patrol at a time..."

ImageImageImageImage
moore_rb Offline

User avatar
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 2085
Images: 68
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:49 pm
Location: Arizona
Has thanked: 559 times
Been thanked: 851 times
Location: Arizona

Postby jwgreen » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:23 pm

Check these babies out!

http://g2rip.com/

I'll be picking some up as soon as they hit the shelf!
Justin
jwgreen Offline

User avatar
I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!
 
Posts: 650
Images: 70
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:23 am
Location: Iola, Tx
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 259 times
Location: Iola, Tx

Next

Return to News and Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron