Adding brake power booster - ckhorne's 1967 project

Won't run? Engine, cooling system, fuel pump, carb, clutch, tranny, brakes, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Engine & Mechanical' category are here.

Postby faux40 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:02 pm

Hey Chris,

Can you post a picture of the booster from inside the wheel well? How far does it stick in? Would it be possible to stretch the inner fender (e.g. dent it) to make space for it instead of hole?

John
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby ckhorne » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:06 am

faux40 wrote:Can you post a picture of the booster from inside the wheel well? How far does it stick in? Would it be possible to stretch the inner fender (e.g. dent it) to make space for it instead of hole?

Here you go:

IMG_2662.JPG

It sticks into the wheel well by about 3/8". If you include the wheel well thickness, then you'd probably need to make a 1/2" deep dent. But that would just fit, and not account for rubbing over time. Given the depth and size needed, I don't think you'd be able to just bend it to make it work. Granted, I have very little experience with metal working, so take that with a grain of salt.

Another option is to tilt the master cylinder up, at maybe a 20-30 degree angle, from the firewall. This is done on other vehicles. I went this route originally (see the brackets in the rod kit I bought linked above), but decided to go straight so that I could keep the reservoirs full more easily. If you're trying to keep the dirt and grime within the wheel well, I think the only option is welding...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ckhorne Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Peter60 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:07 am

I'm getting out of my comfort zone here, but I am told that a power booster doesn't need to be in line with the brake master cylinder. You can put the on the side of the firewall or even under the seat! So no need to stress about cutting holes in firewalls to make it fit.

Look for VH40 or VH44 on Google.

I've just started researching this for my 1968 G60, however it is some months away before I actually go down that path - I might just put in a later G60 brake booster.
Not sure if I will get there.
Not sure if I will get back.
But I usually do!!!
Peter60 Offline

Postby ckhorne » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:23 am

Peter60 wrote:I'm getting out of my comfort zone here, but I am told that a power booster doesn't need to be in line with the brake master cylinder. You can put the on the side of the firewall or even under the seat! So no need to stress about cutting holes in firewalls to make it fit.

Interesting. The VH40 looks similar to the Bendix Hydrovac, except smaller. They are an in-line booster, with an in and out port for the brake line.

I originally looked at this route, but it didn't address a dual master solution (for front/rear redundancy) - I'd still have to retrofit a dual master, and then need to add two of these inline boosters (one for front and one for rear) to achieve the same thing. It'd work - just more work and not as clean, IMO.
ckhorne Offline

Postby Esteban » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:20 am

ckhorne wrote:
Peter60 wrote:I'm getting out of my comfort zone here, but I am told that a power booster doesn't need to be in line with the brake master cylinder. You can put the on the side of the firewall or even under the seat! So no need to stress about cutting holes in firewalls to make it fit.

Interesting. The VH40 looks similar to the Bendix Hydrovac, except smaller. They are an in-line booster, with an in and out port for the brake line.

I originally looked at this route, but it didn't address a dual master solution (for front/rear redundancy) - I'd still have to retrofit a dual master, and then need to add two of these inline boosters (one for front and one for rear) to achieve the same thing. It'd work - just more work and not as clean, IMO.

I'm with Chris on this due to the front/rear redundancy. I have had both systems installed at one time or another. It was easy to install the remote booster and it's probably a good choice if you want to keep the original look of the engine compartment and hide the booster somewhere else. I don't know about choices of cylinders that can be available, but certainly you want to keep the 1" diameter in that cylinder as well. This will be another reason to choose Chris arrangement.

Thanks Peter for the numbers on the Hydrovac. We need to add them to this other thread:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2339&p=25682
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:33 am

Peter, you might be able to use the fender guard from a later G60. They have the indentation for the booster to fit into already formed in the metal.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby L60Boerne » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:49 am

Excellent, the explanation is clear. Very well might add this with the single diaphragm after the mechanic gives us our first report next week. Patrols to Paradise, L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…
Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby Avpatrol » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:02 pm

Wow very good and graphic description. This migh just solve my problem of finding a master cylinder to fit in my 67 .
Avpatrol Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby ozscott » Thu May 07, 2020 7:26 am

Here is the later Patrol inner guard with the indent to accommodate the power booster.
Patrol inner guard.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ozscott Offline

Postby faux40 » Thu May 07, 2020 12:56 pm

That indent is gigantic!
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Engine and Mechanical