Location dowel

Won't run? Engine, cooling system, fuel pump, carb, clutch, tranny, brakes, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Engine & Mechanical' category are here.

Postby Stan53 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:02 pm

Did you know there are 19 pages in “Engine and Mechanical”? I’ve read all of them.
What I need is a photo of the top of the block on a P40 motor please. That’s the first bit.
Secondly, I need to know where the locating dowels go to fit the head back on the block, also the size of the dowel.
I’ve been researching this for over a week now, including reading the 19 pages in this section.
The good news is that I’ve been able to buy all the bits I need to re-ring and re-bearing the motor. I have to wait on some parts.
I won’t do it all today. Coz then I’d be bored tomorrow.
Stan53 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby faux40 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:48 am

It's been a long time since I had a head off, but I do have a picture of a P engine (not a P40) with the head off. I don't see any locating dowels. There are a few more pics like this in my thread and gallery.

Good luck!

John
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Stan53 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:14 am

Thank you John.
When you put the head back on, how did you do it without the head gasket moving?
We have a place near by that sells bolts. I am considering taking a head bolt down there and see if I can get a bolt of the correct length minus the head of the bolt. I’m a long way from putting the motor back together. But I’m really concerned I’m going to damage the head gasket in the process.
Before I forget, thank you for the photo. It help me a lot and reassures me I’m on the right track.
Stan.
I won’t do it all today. Coz then I’d be bored tomorrow.
Stan53 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby faux40 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:09 am

I just skipped the gasket... kidding! Actually, I don't remember. I'd guess that I would place it and note how it looks along a point or two where it overlaps the edge, then carefully set the head down.
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Return to Engine and Mechanical