Disk brake failure

Won't run? Engine, cooling system, fuel pump, carb, clutch, tranny, brakes, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Engine & Mechanical' category are here.

Postby r1lark » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:28 pm

plateaucal wrote:I still have reservations regarding the dual reservoir setup for drum-drum braking. The overall stroke on the Patrol pedal is limited by the original geometry (see parts drawing on service manual). The new dual reservoir system seems like it could stand to have a longer overall stroke based on the Wilwood specs.

I'm working thru the Wilwood 1" diameter dual m/c on a drum-drum setup. The Wilwood dual m/c stroke is 1.10", plus you have to account for the freeplay (.030 - .040" approximately). So, in my mind, the pushrod must have at least 1.140" stroke. On my Patrol's thread (https://60patrol.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6242&start=130), there has been a lot of discussion about this, and options to be able to obtain this additional stroke. I'm still working on exactly how I'll do this.

I will say, understanding all this much better now, I probably should have looked much more seriously about ordering the Protex dual m/c from Australia.
Paul
r1lark Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby plateaucal » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:57 pm

I don't remember the exact numbers, but it seem like the Wilwood needed more stroke in order for it to operate the tandem cylinder in the event of a failure. At best, you should have no freeplay with this conversion. The Patrol pedal bottoms out on the metal floor pan at 1" of stroke as I recall. So maybe a divot or depression in the floor pan is part of the conversion. The Patrol brake throw is diagramed in the Manual that is here online. Oh...and this...!!!!
plateaucal Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby plateaucal » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:26 pm

Does brake adjustment add into the equation? Some folks don't know how to adjust brakes. A quarter or half inch wouldn't be unhear of.
plateaucal Offline

Postby plateaucal » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:29 pm

Esteban wrote:
plateaucal wrote:I still have reservations regarding the dual reservoir setup for drum-drum braking. The overall stroke on the Patrol pedal is limited by the original geometry (see parts drawing on service manual). The new dual reservoir system seems like it could stand to have a longer overall stroke based on the Wilwood specs.

What about for disc-drum setups?

Any thoughts?
Patrols from 1974 and on have a dual master cylinder. Nothing changes with the pedal travel. Still 1” dia. Drums setup exactly the same.

What master cylinder do they use?
plateaucal Offline

Postby Esteban » Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:57 am

They used a Tokico master cylinder.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/nissan/pa ... r/tandem/1

On the other hand, you must have a freeplay, that will take into account the expansion of the components with temperature. Ask me how I know!
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby plateaucal » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:57 am

There are slight differences in the parts drawings between the dual and single reservoir systems. With brakes....millimeters make a difference. Anyway, back to the disc brake discussion.
plateaucal Offline

Previous

Return to Engine and Mechanical