Leaks and level of difficulty replacing wisdom needed!

Won't run? Engine, cooling system, fuel pump, carb, clutch, tranny, brakes, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Engine & Mechanical' category are here.

Postby Sconnierider » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:49 pm

Hello,
Ive got three leaks to contend with. And not nuisance leaks either.
1) Oil filter housing, right at the back rear. Only used one rubber gasket. Made sure other gaskets were removed. I think I have the proper amount of pressure on the bolt…. I dont want to deform the housing.

2) Rear facing nose of the transfer case, right inside that goofy driveline e-brake system. How big of a PITA is this to replace? And what specifically is this called? Any part number is appreciated. I went to the cross reference, wonderful resource, but am wanting to be sure.

3). Nose of the rear differential where the driveline attaches. PITA factor on this one? Also, specifics on which gasket would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance. David
Sconnierider Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby Flaggoni » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:43 pm

I’ve got that oil filter on three engines. I tighten the thru bolt about 1/4 turn at a time till the leak stops.
The leak near the parking brake COULD be from the seal, which I believe is the same PN as the seal on the front of the rear diff. Both are not a big deal to change.
I suspect that the parking brake area leak is actually oil sneaking past the splines of the drive yoke. I wrote about it here a few years back. The big nut holding the yoke is probably loose (though cotter pinned)
I slip a very skinny o-ring over the splines, then a small dab of gasket goop on the fwd face of the splined yoke before assembly. Mine has stayed dry for 8 years now.

Mild Bill
Flaggoni Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Sconnierider » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:02 pm

Thanks Much Mild Bill! I appreciate the quick response. Will be removing that drive shaft between the transfer case and rear diff tomorrow.

Cheers,

UPDATE:
Removed that rear drive shaft. Tackled the seal in the rear diff first. Easy to remove, I actually used a spanner for adjusting shock collars on coil setups on cars, worked like a champ. I'll show the seal that I removed. Pretty well made piece, wide. Rubber was soo brittle that it cracked upon removal. I'ts the pic of the black seal alongside the yellow box with the sharpie mark on it. The mark is the model number of this seal for reference. I've also attached a pic of the replacement seal and it's corresponding box.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sconnierider Offline

Postby Sconnierider » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:24 pm

Update again! I found the seals that I used to be rather lackluster in performance. The rear of the transfer case was still dripping after replacement. I ordered up a seal much like that which I removed. Double wipe system as it were.
Sconnierider Offline

Return to Engine and Mechanical