1966 outside mirrors

Got rust? Seats, panels, doors, windows, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Body & Interior' category are here.

Postby CBlake » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:53 am

I've seen information about different mirror styles, but not sure what I'm supposed to have. I know I'm supposed to have a driver side mirror and I assume it mounts tho the 3 bolts pictured. What is an acceptable substitute? Many of the old links are dead.

Now, the passenger side... I saw a post that a 66 doesn't have a fender mounted mirror, but after stripping the body, I uncovered this. I assumed it was original and I had a mirror from the factory. Maybe someone added a mirror (or something else) at one point? I had to dig all the plastic filler out of it and it still has lead I need to get out.

Thanks all!
Located in central Missouri
1966 Hardtop
1964 very modified Hardtop
1967 Parts
1968 Parts
1962 Softy - SOLD
CBlake Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:38 pm

The '66 only had the driver's side mirror. Looks like someone tried to make something work on the fender. If there is a support bracket underneath then it's a replacement fender.

This is what the original looked like, and a link to a workable replacement. On the page that the link goes to, it's the telescopic arm: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1774&p=7253&hilit=mirror+spector#p7253

Here is what the replacement looks like: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3967&p=30918&hilit=mirror+spector#p30918
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby CBlake » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:41 pm

That's interesting... There is a support underneath, but it looks cobbled together. I'll have to study it more closely.

Many pieces that I've reconditioned have the last few numbers of the VIN stamped into them. Do you know if the fenders have that anywhere? I never considered that it was a replacement fender.

I guess I shouldn't have bought the 2 NOS fender mirrors off of ebay from Kuwait... oops.
1966 Hardtop
1967 Parts
1968 Parts
1962 Softy - SOLD
CBlake Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:18 am

I've never noticed if the fenders had the VIN stamped on them. The Patrol didn't get a right fender mirror until '68. Another clue might be the opening for the parking light. The parking light changed style for '68 also, so the mounting holes were in a different location, and I think the center hole was either slightly smaller or larger.

Yeah, those mirrors from Kuwait were for a mid to late 70's Patrol.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby CBlake » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:45 am

The mirrors won't fit any other years? Maybe they fit on 68's and 69's but just not exactly right?

Hoping to help some other patrollers and myself at the same time.
1966 Hardtop
1967 Parts
1968 Parts
1962 Softy - SOLD
CBlake Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:01 pm

They might, the base looked compatible. The arm on them is incorrect for '68 - '69s having the bend in it, the stock arm is straight. And actually I think those mirrors are both for an RHD vehicle. That's is why they bend out from the vehicles they won't block the driver's view. As I recall they were both right side mirrors.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby CBlake » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:13 pm

Yeah, both right side. They do look like one could be modified to fit on the left. Maybe someone from Australia would be interested in them. Maybe I could sell them to someone in Kuwait. :P
1966 Hardtop
1967 Parts
1968 Parts
1962 Softy - SOLD
CBlake Offline

Postby plateaucal » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:53 pm

Mirror Trivia, you guys got me thinking. I have three mirror stalks in my shop. One is definitely from my late 69 model, with a triangular mounting flange and the mirror mounting flange pointing towards the driver, made for the passenger side. Another looks similar but is definitely made for the drivers side fender. It has a smaller mounting flange, is shorter, and points towards the driver, but not as radically as the one from the passenger side fender (of course). The late 69 has a door mounted stalk with a curved mounting flange fitting to the door. So it seems that maybe in the early 69 (68 model) had a drivers side fender mounted mirror but no other Patrol did? Interestingly, both of the fenders from my late 69 have the mirror reinforcements underneath, but only the passenger side one was used. The fender caps from my 67 did not have this feature on either side. And the late 69 was the only one with a door mounted stalk.

Am I reiterating what has been said or what. Anyway, it appears that the early 69 had a drivers side stalk on the fender that was shorter, pointed towards the driver, and had a smaller mounting flange and was one model only (early 69). Yes, inanity is good..with old cars. Or insanity.
plateaucal Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:44 pm

Interesting observations. No U.S. Patrol ever had a mirror mounted on the left fender. I think the reinforcement was there for the RHD vehicles, that would have one mounted there. I have an NOS left fender, and it has the reinforcement but no mirror mounts.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Return to Body and Interior