Cadflat Bead Roller Project.

Got rust? Seats, panels, doors, windows, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Body & Interior' category are here.

Postby Oddbod » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:34 pm

As I continue on with this project, it has become apparent that it is made up of a number of sub projects besides the main body of the hood.
I see it as being;
• Making the hood
• The cut out and pressing
• The relocation of oil canister and radiator overflow bottle
• Hinges and lock down fabrication
• Paint finish and any other surprises...
Oddbod Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:12 am

I think most projects have sub-projects, or what I usually call "but firsts." I want to do something, but first I have to do this or that.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Edgar » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:25 am

All I can say to that is...AMEN!!
Edgar Offline

Postby Oddbod » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:40 am

I agree totally, but this just kind of snuck up on me as I believe I was just too focused on doing the sheet metal and as I quickly got on top of that or so I thought, all these other considerations started to hit me.

The one that I have tried to ignore, but which has become the elephant in the room, is the fact that still after all this other stuff, I need to find a suitable press that is wide enough between the posts to accept my project which at its narrowest point will be approx 36".

That said, I have just realised today, that the pressing area is not in the center of my 36" which now changes everything and without taking any measurements yet, I realise that I am actually looking for a press with an even greater measurement between the posts, which is starting to be of some concern to me, as I can only to expect to have so much luck on my side.

I have discussed this problem with a good buddy of mine, who thinks he still may know where such a press maybe located, otherwise if cornered I will attempt to press this project under the opening of a big brick doorway using a sturdy jack and a post.

I happen to have access to such an opening, but I must give that idea a little more consideration to be sure...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:33 pm

Not much progress to speak of, but oil canister has been relocated.
I moved it up by 1 head stud to bring it inboard.
Some days things just go so right and yet other days you just can't take a trick...
This was a good day.

I actually made a whole new bracket.
I originally had thoughts of modifying or cutting the old bracket, but decided that since I have other similar Cadillac flathead engines that this old bracket may come in handy on another project or help out somebody else later.

You can see the difference in position between the new and old locations.
Who knows, I may even end up with a better gravity oil feed back to the engine since I have increased the head height... :pray:

Sorry about the side ways pic, but I seem to have a problem loading portrait pics always... :violin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:09 am

Bad news, while installing the oil bypass canister in its new position I have managed to strip the thread in the block for one of the head bolts. :violin:
I struck a similar problem when rebuilding the engine but that was in the early days and a helicoil was installed to fix it.
Well, I guess now I will be removing that head and installing another helicoil, what a bummer... :(
Oddbod Offline

Postby Esteban » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:27 am

Too bad. In the last picture you posted we can see how the bolts that secure the bracket for the oil canister, are also the head bolts.

So I guess you have to remove the head of that side completely to gain access to work the helicoil. Sorry for the mishap.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby RiverPatrol » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:33 am

Ouch. :|

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Oddbod » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:33 pm

While contemplating my cylinder head repair, I have determined that I would like to use a firewall mounted hinge system to operate my hood.
This means the hood will open like most conventional vehicles.
I have done quite an extensive search of the net to determine that while I now know what kind of hinge I am shooting for, but all or most are too large to fit my application.

Attached are a couple of pic's of what I am looking for.
In fact I have decided to make my own hinge to suit my application, but having never had much to do with hinge design, I seek anybody out there who can tell me in theory how to work out such a mechanism.
Maybe a mechanical engineer or similar on this forum could chime in.

What ever comes of these discussions will be a valuable record for others to learn from into the future...

My hinge will need to mount vertically at the firewall and is able to sit up high close to the hood underside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:36 am

A project is never really done, is it. ;)

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Body and Interior