Cadflat Bead Roller Project.

Got rust? Seats, panels, doors, windows, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Body & Interior' category are here.

Postby Oddbod » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:22 pm

The diff was chained down and straightened within 30 minutes.
The main bent issue required a little heat to get it to relax enough to reset it back to the correct alignment.
It was bent pretty bad, over 1" out of alignment at the wheel bearing position.
It was then noted that the other end also required a very minor jacking which did not require any heat to correct.

Concerned about the accuracy of my unit, I took another Ford 9" diff which had been repaired and straightened professionally and set it up with my alignment tools to see if I was any where close.
I was satisfied to discover that it was also true with my alignment tool and was perfect, so I take tow things from this exercise;
Firstly, that my straightening works works as anticipated,
Secondly, that my alignment tool is true and accurate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby mad4hws » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:40 pm

so, if I happen to be in Australia and bend my axle, I know where to go to get it fixed! Its a great feeling when all of the time an effort that you invest is rewarded with good results. Nicely done!
mad4hws Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Postby Esteban » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:19 am

Very entertaining to follow this, and to learn something along the way. The photos tell a lot and are a perfect complement to your descriptions.

You talked about narrowing the housing. In that case do you also shorten the axles and then machine the splines, or is there an aftermarket source for them? Just curious.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Oddbod » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:46 pm

mad4hws wrote:so, if I happen to be in Australia and bend my axle, I know where to go to get it fixed! Its a great feeling when all of the time an effort that you invest is rewarded with good results. Nicely done!

Sure, come on down any time.
I'm sure we have some rough terrain to test any axle housings.
It looks simple but I did spend a lot of time doing precise measurement, because a 1mm out in the center transfer to a lot more out at the end.
I am no machinist and hence every step of the way has been fraught with challenges and fear of damaging my material and then needing to repurchase.

I am really happy with the results and thanks for your interest and comments.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:55 pm

Esteban wrote:Very entertaining to follow this, and to learn something along the way. The photos tell a lot and are a perfect complement to your descriptions.

You talked about narrowing the housing. In that case do you also shorten the axles and then machine the splines, or is there an aftermarket source for them? Just curious.

Esteban, there are several ways to come up with axles to suit.
Since we are dealing with Ford 9" differential components, they are generally plentiful and available from numerous sources, new or used.
Since these Ford diffs were used in many applications there are many axle lengths to choose from.

It is only my intention to ever use axle lengths that are OEM sizes, but custom lengths and re-splined options also exist.
I work on the principle to decided on a diff width and then seek existing axles to come somewhere close to my determined O/A width.
It is quite common for guys to seek a matching short axle or a pair of long axles to match what they already have so only one additional axle needs to be purchased.

Similarly with Ford 9" components many crown wheel ratios are easily available from approx 2.75:1 thru to 5.80:1 from memory, so a huge range to choose from for doing high speed runs at Bonneville to rock crawling in the Rocky's.

Thanks to you guys for tolerating my slightly off topic stuff...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:53 pm

Well, back onto my bead roller project and I have struck all number of problems with the VFD drive unit.
I have been in touch with the manufacturer in China which has been cordial but language plus media control has prevented easy communications.
It turns out there is either a programming error or glitch or my motor is not matching well to the signals being sent by the VFD.

At one point it did all that it was asked of it while running from the units control panel, but in most instances end users require a remote hook up to these units and this is where my problems appeared.

The manufacturer has been reasonable but has not been able to solve my problem.
I have other Forum members digging deep to see what solutions can be found.

In the meantime I have de-rated the top speed limit which allows all functions to work but just not at a speed that is optimum during must machining.
I just need a break thru out of left field to get things back on track...
Oddbod Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:05 am

Hope you find that break thru.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Oddbod » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:03 pm

Yes me too a break thru would be great, right now I am feeling the heat of this problem which has taken me into unfamiliar waters and with the weather here right now up over the 100 degrees mark, I think that I'd rather be in your neck of the woods in CA.
Nice town Temecula.
Oddbod Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:15 am

Temecula is very nice, but we do get our summer weather as well.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Oddbod » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:04 pm

Yes, I am sure you do, I use to have kin who resided in Beaumont CA and I did spend time there on a good number of occasions between 2004 thru to 2016 before they moved out of State.
I recall some really hot days there in July.
The temperature differential from the coast to inland was quite amazing going by the weather channels.

More kin in Phoenix AZ, now that is hot...
Oddbod Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Body and Interior