Cadflat Bead Roller Project.

Got rust? Seats, panels, doors, windows, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Body & Interior' category are here.

Postby Oddbod » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:15 pm

PA and surrounding Appalachia area is the heartland of my ancestors.
My family are Scots/Irish and I am led to believe we have much rich history in those parts.
I took a small look around when driving thru that area heading to NYC in 2016.
To this day I don't recall whether I was on the I78 or I80, but all the same it wetted my appetite for more another time.

There is a woman named Jean Ritchie from Appalachia, who is recognised as the mother of American folk music and who is a distant relative for starters.
It seems that my kin hit the USA from Scotland in the 1700's and spread out.

I have since found quite by accident about 2 years ago a relative in MO on another forum and we continue to communicate to this day.
We have a common interest in those old Cadillac flathead engines.

I have another close friend in CO whose front road formed part of the old Mason Dickson Line way back when.

The joy that this stuff brings me is limitless...

And if anybody out there has not been to Graceland TN, it is time you did, it is a moving experience to say the least.
Oddbod Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Oddbod » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:10 pm

Well folks, back to my bead roller and the VFD speed controller issues, the settings installed to temporarily get the VFD functioning did not hold and I am back to where I started.
At least I get the feeling that I have had the manufacturers attention, but still nothing positive results wise

Well, the latest update is as follows;
I contacted the manufacturer and suggested it could be an opportunity to send me a replacement unit as what I have maybe faulty.

They did not agree, but have continued to offer programming adjustments that have been of no consequence.

There is definitely a problem with something whether it be my motor or there unit, but I do fail to see how my motor at one time did run at the setting programmed prior to going remote.

The part of the equation is the language barrier, whereby they are using a young non technical girl to translate my comments and feedback to the Tech.

Since going remote the issues came into play.
I have tried as they suggested to go back to the panel control, but for now the issue remains with binding to a full stall.

I have taken the initiative for now and have advised them, that I plan to reset the upper speed limit from 120hz down to 87hz.
The motor starts to bind at about 90hz and grinds to a halt by 120hz.
Sadly, this limits my top speed which was factored into my original mechanical gearing, so I have elected to try and increase the size of one of my small sprockets to try and regain some top speed that way.

I guess we have parted friends, as they are just employees in this massive corporation and have limited capacity to deal.
The girl did say that should she or the Tech ever determine a similar fault or a solution that may also be a possible help to me that they would email me to advise me of any program ideas, I guess like a bulletin.

So for now at least, I have a solution that should work for me but no thanks to my manufacturer.
Should the opportunity arise I may consider doing a swap later to a more widely used and reliable brand, but for now I will just run with my plan B solution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GQ8Ujaq7MY

The more that you learn, the more your realise that you don't know...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Esteban » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:22 am

Oddbod wrote:...The part of the equation is the language barrier, whereby they are using a young non technical girl to translate my comments and feedback to the Tech....

Very frustrating what you're going on. I'm sure you'll find a solution for all these problems.

Not to deviate from your thread, but translations can be a pain when the people in charge are clueless of their field. The NY Times run recently an article about a big power plant built by a Chinese company in Ecuador and obviously with a loan from the Chinese government. The project is a total engineering failure. Miscommunication has been a big part of it due to the language barrier. The following picture from the NY Times summarizes it:

Chinese translations.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Oddbod » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:30 pm

Yes Esteban, I could not agree with you more.
I felt in my case, the non Tech girl was firstly honoured to be asked to do the translating and was just trying too hard to please and 2nd guess everybody.
She has turned out to be a lovely young lady, but just not upto such a task.
The other problem has been that with huge Govt restrictions and controls on the media, it was impossible to send a short video demonstrating the system failure which may have been the best way to diagnose my issues.
Their Tech's actually requested the video in the first instance, however all us very quickly became aware that it was going to be almost impossible to get it sent to China.
I am no internet media savvy guy but did with my daughter try every kind of method including Facebook, YouTube and several App's as well as plain old emailing, but none could be either connected to or viewed with.
We just don't know how much freedom we enjoy here and take for granted on a daily basis when compared to citizens in non democratic countries.
Who knows, even if they were successful in seeing my video, possibly the consequences of breaking protocols may have been terrible...
Oddbod Offline

Postby rjiggy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:18 pm

Russ,
You might need to separate the line and load wiring from the drive. I noticed the two pieces of SO cord run in parallel on the frame. These cables offer no shielding, like wire in metallic conduit has. When the the input power wiring is run in parallel to the output wiring there is a good chance of getting unwanted feedback, much like an audio amplifier and a microphone too close to a speaker. Attached Is a manual from an ABB drive, commonly used in the HVAC business to control pumps and fans. See page 27 of the manual (pg. 47 of the pdf file) Try rerouting one line or the other. If they have to cross each other it is best done at 90 degree angles.

I hope this helps.

Rick
EN_ACH550_01_UM_G_A4.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rjiggy Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:54 pm

Thanks for your offerings Rick.
To date no feedback or interference detected from wiring.
I was mindful of this problem after reading and viewing YouTube videos during research regarding my other operational issues.
Honestly, with the luck or lack off that I was having recently, I was surprised not to be hit with feedback issues as well.

Now that my project is back on track so to speak, I am going to explore other options available to me from my VFD including running the self learn and braking parameters if possible. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Mind you, right now I am in half a mind not to touch a darn thing for fear of losing what I have just achieved... :think:
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:37 pm

Good news, motor run-on has been minimised by programming and no need for additional resistor. :D

So unless something goes bad on me, I am done with this thread. :shock:

Thanks for watching and commenting.

I hope it has either amused or educated you along the way... :clap:

Russ.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Esteban » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:09 pm

Oddbod wrote:Good news, motor run-on has been minimised by programming and no need for additional resistor. :D

So unless something goes bad on me, I am done with this thread. :shock:

Thanks for watching and commenting.

I hope it has either amused or educated you along the way... :clap:

Russ.

That's great news Russ. Congratulations :clap: :clap: :clap:

It has been very entertaining to see all the development and tinkering you've done. Now we need to see actual sheet metal going through it. Come on!
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Oddbod » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:39 pm

Sheet metal will happen eventually, but right now I don't have a need to manufacture any rolled stuff.
I need to get back onto my hot rod project as seen in my wiper thread.
I am too easily distracted some times with other projects, such as that diff straightening device.

I am also in the process of modifying a Jaguar IRS setup for a future hot rod project.
In fact more than one, I have 3 setups here and I want to get them assembled and in good shape to either use or sell.
They do take up a bit of space in the shop.
Never a dull moment for me here.
Oddbod Offline

Postby rjiggy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:42 pm

Great news Russ. Your persistence paid off!

Can't wait to see it in operation. :clap:
rjiggy Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Body and Interior