Cadflat Bead Roller Project.

Got rust? Seats, panels, doors, windows, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Body & Interior' category are here.

Postby Oddbod » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:05 am

Finally got my hinges back and need to drill and assemble them.
It is looking to be not that simple as now as I refine them I am discovering other small adjustments that I feel would be advisable to deal with at this point.

The refinements basically will consist of grinding and filing on the bench to ensure full movement and clearance is achieved.

Part of my current problem is that I have lost nearly 50% of my hood lift angle and I need to claw some of that back by doing these refinements.

More soon.
Oddbod Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Oddbod » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:20 am

Well, I am back on track again now, my latest hinge appears to be about right and seems to capable of working as required now.
It sure has been a long time coming but worth the wait.
Next step now that I have both hinges temporarily attached to the firewall and level etc, I now need to work out how I will attach them to the inner skin of my hood.
Tomorrow I plan to start cutting out some small pieces of metal to create the attaching faces and see where it leads me.

All that tinkering and filing etc has paid off and the hinges have a nice firm but smooth movement to them which is a great outcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:28 am

I have made some reportable progress although the time was greater than it may look, to have worked out and produced what I have in pic's.

I have a plate that attaches to the hinge arm and a sheet metal boxing that will form the contact point to the hinge once welded to the inner hood sheet metal.

Good, bad or indifferent this is now the direction I am heading in and I hope it will be the correct choice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Esteban » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:42 pm

I envy your fabrication talent! Looking great!

Is the idea of have outside of the boxes exposed or will you cover them with a patch?
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Oddbod » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:07 pm

Esteban, no the boxes will be hidden.
The sheet metal that you are looking at in my pic's is actually, the inner sheet and it will be covered by an outer sheet later.
I am hoping the use of 2 thin sheet metal panels will avoid me needing to use any other additional bracing.
I am limited from using much cross bracing as between the twin carbs and high mounted radiator hoses and thermostat housing they seem to block much crossing over braces.

Really just winging it right now...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:26 pm

Still battling away with other hinge pocket cut in and getting ready to tack weld the 3 sections into position which make up the hood inner.
Once that is done, I will have my first opportunity to attach the hinges and see how the lift motion works.
Fingers crossed...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:35 am

Well, what an adventure, it has been a slow struggle.
No pic's to post this time, but I can tell you I am now in 2 minds whether to keep at it or walk away.
I attached the inner panel the hinge pockets and then to the hinges and tried lifting it.
Well, it just touches my firewall lip at the rear and wants to take paint off.

Disappointing to say the least.
I know I am real close, so I added a washer spacer between the hinge and the pocket and it kinder clears but not what I was hoping for.

I have now removed the hood from the hinges and cut the pockets out in the hope that I can do some tweaking and get the clearance I need.
Boy, it is close but no cigar just yet...

I am going to persist for now and give it my best shot since it seems so near, but otherwise I am at somewhat of a loss to know what else to do.
Obviously my rejig of the hinges was a get success and I almost hit the target with the mods.

More to follow when I cool down...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Esteban » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:22 am

We can feel your pain! Hope you can resolve this last glitch.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Oddbod » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:48 pm

I have been drawn to a conclusion with intent of lifting the hinge arms out of the rest position slightly, so the forward movement commences immediately.
Right now, there is a kind of dead spot it seems just for a couple of millimetres of initial movement where the hinge seems to be in limbo so to speak as it commences its path of movement and rides too low to clear the firewall lip edge.

I had to walk away and I am a pretty patient individual, but I needed to avoid being drawn in by the problem and grasping at straws which could have lead me to do some dumb stuff.
So I am now in a cooling off period just mulling over my next steps and listening to others view points.
I am just so close, but finding the tweak that will get me over the line is killing me right now...

Thanks for your continued interest.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:02 pm

Hinges can really do your head in once you really get into them.
I will persist for now, but do have a plan B, which is to use another hinge design (drawings) which I purchased from a guy in Canada for little money.
Only problem IMHO is that it does not look pretty as it has super lift and sticks up oddly when open.
Looks kinder fragile, like a scissor lift effect or could from the look of it end up with the problem at the front rather than the rear......
Plan C is to scrap the hinge and just tie down the hood and make it hand removeable which really goes against the grain in my book...
I am not all that competitive, but I hate being beaten when I am so close to the finish line.
Oddbod Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Body and Interior