Windshield Frame Rubber

Got rust? Seats, panels, doors, windows, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Body & Interior' category are here.

Postby Gorgerider » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:05 am

My windshield is gapped out at the top by about 1.75". Latches we're closed when measured. My guess is the windshield frame is now sprung.

What is the thickness and shape of the rubber seal between the bottom of the windshield Frame and top of the body?

Thanks.

GR
Gorgerider Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby Esteban » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:25 am

It’s a bit confusing your description. Can you post a picture?

The windshield frame itself is impossible to stretch. The rubber on the other hand can degrade and contract over the years.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby RiverPatrol » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:38 am

The windshield gap is adjustable via the hinges. Loosen the bolts and it can be moved slightly. A little movement makes a big difference at the top.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gorgerider » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:07 am

Riv: I will take a look at hinge adjustment this week.

Esteban: I know I will have to re-learn how to upload pics. It may take a few tries. I used to be able to do it with my digital camera, but the phone thing still has this old Luddite a bit on his heels. The rubber that's in place looks like it may be an ad hoc solution when compared to one I saw the other day on a parts supply website. It looks like it may be too thick on the leading edge, thus making it difficult to seat without binding. I'll check back with the pics in a day, or so.

WSO (We Stumble On)

GR
Gorgerider Offline

Postby Flaggoni » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:20 pm

I’ve got a spare windshield-to-dash gasket if you end up needing one. Not new, but aged to perfection for 51 years.
Free plus shipping.
Mild Bill
Flaggoni Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Gorgerider » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:35 am

Thanks to all for their suggestions. It has been a busy week in my 4WD world this week.

Line up a mechanic to do a head gasket job on a 2000 Land Rover that has been taking up space in front of the shop. Then I either sell it or ........

Get the '71 Jeepster recommissioned. I have a complete spare engine, if needed, but first I have to ascertain the old blister's needs.

Went to Boise, Idaho yesterday to pick up a hard top for the '69. Long day with 11 hours of driving. And relevant to this post, I was able to see exactly what a shiny new windshield frame gasket looked like. It seemed quite thick, actually. I also saw the oblong holes for the hinge bolts. Unless I have a wrong gasket, I think hinge adjustment may be the ticket.

Today was spent working on the flatbed trailer so that tomorrow I can ........... Wait for it .................

Pick up my third L60 !!!?!! Trip to Eugene OR first thing in the morning, but I'm looking forward to it.

WSO.
Gorgerider Offline

Postby Esteban » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:51 am

You’re killing us with the lack of pictures. Can’t wait to see all your treasures.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Gorgerider » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:05 am

Such impatience! They'll come next week.

This weekend is for fetching cars and stuff and recovery from travel.

Time to get on the road before the truck coughs up a hairball from being used to excess.
Gorgerider Offline

Postby moore_rb » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:13 am

Three?

Yeah, 3 is the hinge point where you begin teetering on the scale between sanity, and 60Patrol psychosis.

the 4th one, and your place REALLY starts to look like Sanford and Son (unless you employ L60Boerne's strategy of spreading them out across the western United States)

When number 5 shows up, you are right on the threshold of needing a professional diagnosis, and possibly psychiatric treatment ;)

Beyond 5, you are up in that rarified air where the only people in the US crazier than you are RiverPatrol, 50Car (which you are about to see first hand :D ) , and CoyotePatrol, and even worldwide, you can only tack in a few crazy aussies like G60michael, JawaPro and a couple of our loco-bros down in Columbia.

5 was my personal high-water mark (well, 4-1/2 actually, since one of them didn't have an engine or drivetrain). I am now back down to 2-1/2, on my way to 2 (and hopefully a return to sanity :happy-bouncyyellow:
ImageImageImageImage

L-R:
White 65 Hardtop L60-3-00617 (undergoing restoration)
Red 65 hardtop 4L60-002565 (scrapped for parts)
66 Hardtop "El-Bondo Patrol", L60-00511 (Restored, then sold June2020)
Blue 67 Hardtop (sold March1997)
Green 62 Softtop L60-2-00504 (undergoing restoration)
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gorgerider » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:53 pm

Then there's the "Cat Lady Rule". If you have one cat, OK. If you have two, the second is there to keep the first one company while you're down at the bar most of the night. If you have three, you have crossed over into being a "Crazy Cat Lady", regardless of your gender. At that point, you might as well go ahead and buy every one you can afford (and even those you can't).

I'm going to go ahead and do one up so I can sell it to pay for the restoration on the other two. Plus sell the Jeepster. Plus sell the Land Rover. Plus, plus, plus..............
Gorgerider Offline

Return to Body and Interior