Gas Cap Lock stuck. Any suggestions?

Got rust? Seats, panels, doors, windows, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Body & Interior' category are here.

Postby das280zx » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:50 am

I'm trying to resurrect my patrol that's been sitting for quite a while (ran when parked, lol). It's been outside in the E. Wash desert for quite a few years now and the gas cap has been out in the elements. My dad and I went to drain the old gas out of the tank, which was easy, but we tried to get the gas cap off and no dice. The lock cylinder was so stuck I couldn't get the key in. After working on it and pouring any solvents we could find down the lock, we were able to get the key in, but it just won't turn. Anybody have any advice? Also if anybody could provide pictures of what the back side looks like and how it works, i can't quite remember. Or if anybody has pics of one disassembled. We really don't want to destroy it as it is prettymuch irreplaceable (matching the ignition, etc). Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
das280zx Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:21 am

Keep working at it. I've run into the same thing. I use WD-40 (a trick a locksmith showed me) and just keep running the key in and out. Eventually the tumblers will free up and allow the lock to turn. Maybe if you have some small pick tools use them in the cylinder to try and push the tumblers down to free them. The picture might give you and idea of what's going on inside the lock cylinder. In the diagram it is the 'pins' and 'drivers' that are stuck. The cuts in the key will push them and they'll eventually free up.

padlock-pins.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:50 am

Hope this pictures help.

Gas Cap.jpg
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Return to Body and Interior