Possible Overdrive Setup

Upgrades, downgrades, modernizations, alterations or just being creative.

Postby jwgreen » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:02 pm

Ok all,

I have been looking around and think I may have found a solution for us concerning the 3 speed trans and road driving. There is a company that makes an OD that fits on the Rovers that looks like just what we need. It give them a 28% higher gearing than stock and can be used on/off road. They claim that they are pretty much bullet proof. Anyway I've emailed with them and they are willing to take a look into making one for the Patrol. What I need is someone who lives in or closer to West Vancouver BC than me and would be willing to ship them a trans/transfer case for them to work with. I checked shipping and it would cost me crazy money to ship mine from Tx up there or I would just send them mine. Anyway if there is someone out there that would be willing to help out maybe, just maybe :pray: :pray: we could have a OD for the Patrols!!! Hopefully I can put this all together and make something work for us!! Let me know if anyone can help out!!!
http://roamerdrive.com/index.html
Justin
jwgreen Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby Swerve » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:43 am

They would be a good solution, but my concerns are as follows.

1- All US Patrols (minus a select few) are SWB, will you have the length in the tailshaft to install one ? Those who would install a Marks 5 speed loose 135mm, I know from talk that would be about maximum you could loose on a SWB tailshaft
2- Would need to look up again, but personally I found the Marks 5 speed to be to highly geared. I think also partly with a 35 year old engine which is down on power, pushing 5 gear down a hill was about it, otherwise was always in 4th. People may disagree but there not all there cracked up to be. Having driven one many thousand of km's. I still averaged same speeds as a 3 speed, around the same speed and revs as I used 4th on the 5 speed. 1st gear was a pian of lights as to low geared, changing into 2nd gear within 6 feet of taking off.
3- Overall, I reckon the overdrive unit could be a simply solution to flat HWY crusing, good luck :)

Steve
Swerve Offline

Postby Esteban » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:15 am

Swerve wrote:They would be a good solution, but my concerns are as follows.

1- All US Patrols (minus a select few) are SWB, will you have the length in teh tailshaft to install one ? Those who install a Marks 5 speed loose 135mm, I know form talk that would be about maximum you could loose.
Steve

Steve, if the overdrive unit goes where the rear PTO cover is, you will not need to modify the tailshaft (rear) It will be like in a Dana 18 transfer case.

The idea that you can lower the rpms at highway speed will be sufficient for me. These Patrols that are supposed to be low rpms, when it comes to driving them at 60mph (~100 km/h) are showing higher rpms than any other modern vehicle. They could benefit a lot from the overdrive.

The benefits off-road will be debatable.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby jwgreen » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:02 pm

Yeah it bolts up to the rear PTO output just like on the Rovers so there shouldn't be any mods necessary from that prospective. And the nice thing about the OD is that you can use it to spit any gear, so basically it would end up being a 6 speed. They talk about this specifically right on their site. I think this is a good as a solution as any, other than trying to put a NV4500 in there which will take just as much if not more engineering and modification. This OD would allow easy installation and removal without having to pull the whole trans/transfer case out. Anyway that's my .2.
Justin
jwgreen Offline

Postby Swerve » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:21 pm

jwgreen wrote: This OD would allow easy installation and removal without having to pull the whole trans/transfer case out. Anyway that's my .2.

Well I like the sound of that :) even I would be interested
Swerve Offline

Postby jwgreen » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:15 am

Man I figured there would be a little more interest in this than what its getting!! Guess I'm one of the only folks who thinks this is a good idea. I cant drop the $$ to ship mine all the way up there from Tx so if I cant get someone a lot closer to help out then this probably wont ever get off the ground. :(
Justin
jwgreen Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:41 am

I definitely would be interested, and I'm sure others would be also. I think we're just waiting for someone to respond to your request. I know that there are a few Patrols in the Vancouver area, but I don't know the owners.

Do you have any ballpark on a price for these things once they're made?

So, if I understand this correctly, the unit would bolt on to the rear PTO port on the transmission. That means the driveshaft wouldn't need to be altered, right? This would be a simple bolt-on mod, as I understand it. :think:
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:50 am

I'm with RiverPatrol comments. Definitely, I'm interested since I've been dreaming on this PTO for decades.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby jwgreen » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:01 pm

RiverPatrol wrote:Do you have any ballpark on a price for these things once they're made?

So, if I understand this correctly, the unit would bolt on to the rear PTO port on the transmission. That means the driveshaft wouldn't need to be altered, right? This would be a simple bolt-on mod, as I understand it. :think:

Leslie,

Well the current models sell for $1200 & $1400. I would assume that unless they commit to a full production for themselves that the Patrol model would be a little higher, maybe up to $2000?? But they will not even guess at a price until they can get a hands on look at a gearbox setup. As for installation, yes it bolts up just like a Fairey OD, to the rear PTO output. The current models say an average person with simple hand tools can do it in 3 hrs, so I figure us Patrolers can knock it out in 30 mins! :lol: Unless I'm not thinking of something there should be no other mods necessary except where the shifter will come through the floor.

So if anyone knows someone who lives really close to that area please contact them or send me their contact info so that maybe we can get the ball rolling on this. The guy at the shop was doing some looking on Craigs List and he sent me that one that was for sell but I'm not in the market to buy another Patrol ATM or I would. Hopefully someone will turn up soon!!! :pray: :pray:
Justin
jwgreen Offline

Postby zed » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:22 pm

1969 Patrol L60
1965 Patrol L60 (parts provider)
1966 PL520
1970 240Z
1990 300ZX (sold 10/04/13)
zed Offline