Crank case breather stove pipe mod.

Upgrades, downgrades, modernizations, alterations or just being creative.

Postby tgaguy1 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:32 pm

I am not far off getting my 1969 Patrol back on the road.
In the short drives of the Patrol I have undertaken, I have noticed the cab gets quite fumy from the crank case breather stove pipe. I have brand new rubber boots to fit over the gear stick, hand brake and transfer levers, but was wondering if any one has modified the breather to somehow feed back into the air cleaner.
Do others have this problem or am I going to find with new rubber boots I will no longer experience this fuminess?
I don't want to fit an oil separator as it would look out of place but I have noticed in photos of some other patrols that they have a breather from the rocker cover to the air cleaner housing. Is there a manufacturing date that Nissan changed from the stove pipe to the rocker cover breather?
Any suggestions or feed back appreciated.

2014-12-19 16.51.32.jpg

Thanks

Jason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tgaguy1 Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby Esteban » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:01 pm

Jason, some Patrols sent overseas like to Colombia and Ecuador in South America never got rid of the breather pipe, even for 78 models, since environmental constraints were not introduced yet.

Your engine bay looks very clean with all the rubber grommets in place, so the little bit of fumes that come from the pipe shouldn't be a problem. Maybe you should check the gaskets on the transmission cover, battery cover.

There's a posting here that list some of the changes along the years, including the breather pipe. I think USA models beginning in 1967 came with the breather on the rocker cover. They're also fitted with a different oil cap.

Hope some other members have some ideas regarding this.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby tgaguy1 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:26 am

Thanks for the reply. I haven't installed the new trans lever boots yet so maybe that will solve the problem. I will check the sealing of the battery box too, something I had over looked.
Thanks.
tgaguy1 Offline

Postby tgaguy1 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:04 pm

So after installing new shifter boots, making a new battery box cover and filling ever screw hole I could find in the firewall the fumes in the cab problem has been resolved.No modification to the stove pipe breather is necessary. My 60 is now a pleasure to drive even with the windows up and the vents closed.
Thanks for the help and suggestions.
tgaguy1 Offline

Postby miller » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:59 pm

That's a great result, well done.
1964 MWB Soft top Patrol - 1972 MWB Soft top Patrol "Diablo" - 1977 MWB V8 "Mr Muck" - 1978 G60 Patrol Ute "HP"
miller Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Return to Modifications