Oil filter adaptation

Upgrades, downgrades, modernizations, alterations or just being creative.

Postby ylopez » Sat May 21, 2016 12:54 pm

Since i want my patrol to daily use i decide to upgrade the oil filter to one that i can find easily so looking at some friends in venezuela i found some information in how to adapt an oil filter. the one that fits exactly is the 15600-41010 that is SO common as is for the toyotas, even in a grocery store you can fin this one :mrgreen:
Take to the lathe and mill workshop, the thread in the base is 5/8 NF and the thread in the filter is 3/4 NF, have to debbur (Is that correct?) the outer diameter 2.5mm and the center in the base too. Some try and error until the filter fits. The gasket of this filter is the same diameter of the inner diameter of the base so this is what is important.
I only took pictures of the After so you can imagine the before.
ylopez Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby RiverPatrol » Sat May 21, 2016 12:58 pm

Wow! :shock: That seems way too easy. Looks like a perfect solution.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby ylopez » Sat May 21, 2016 1:06 pm

who can tell me what is the little drain plug in the base for? obviusly if to drain oil but when and how to use it?
ylopez Offline

Postby Esteban » Sat May 21, 2016 6:13 pm

Ylopez, I'm sorry to disappoint you but your filter adaptation will not work properly! Years ago I did a little variation of what you have done, only to prove myself that the oil flow is incorrect, and your run the risk of not filtering any oil. You'll get flow and pressure, but only because the bypass valve in the oil filter base will work overtime, but no oil will be filtered!

Please take a look at the following diagram (the free hand was done by my brother)

Dirty oil goes into the base at the bottom, flows through the inside of the pipe and comes out towards the outside of the canister and then flows into the inside of the filter and then goes clean into the engine.

With your adaptation, you are reversing the way the oil flows into the filter. In theory this can work, but the problem is that when the oil tries to get out of a spin-on filter, it finds the rubber diaphragm that will prevent the oil from going further. This rubber diaphragm is designed to prevent the oil inside the spin-on filter to drain while the engine is stopped, so oil pressure can build up immediately when you start the engine.

The following diagram shows the solution that I implemented after my first failed attempt. This design was later improved by member Pancho, with a very elaborate design that is perfect. More on that later.

The following picture shows the actual adapter that I had. Used this one on two Patrols for close to 100k miles. This adapter what basically do is reverse the flow of oil so it can go in the right direction into the spin-on filter. The only problem is that the oil passages done were too small and flow could be restricted.

Esteban Oil filter base.jpg

A few years ago, member Pancho, who is a Mechanical Engineer, after looking at my design, modified it extensively and giving it the proper oil passages. The concept of reversing the flow inside the adapter remains the same. A number of blind holes have to be drilled and capped afterwards. The next image shows one of his conceptual drawings, prior to developing precise measurements for the lathe operator guy.

Pancho Oil Filter Base A.jpg

A 3D rendering he did for better understanding of the guinea pigs (my brother and myself)

Pancho Oil Filter Base 3.jpg

And this is the actual base that Pancho sent me from Ecuador after he had it made. I've been using it for 6k miles.

Pancho Oil Filter Base.JPG

There are numerous diagrams in the internet about how the filter flows in a spin-on filter. Found a good conceptual drawing here:

http://swiftautocareservice.blogspot.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby ylopez » Sat May 21, 2016 6:40 pm

I KNEW IT !!!! Whith Patrol things are never simple or easy.... this is why i have one :lol: yep i thought about that when i finished the adapter but in some mind lapsus i decided that it was the right way. Is incredible how solution was on my head and when i saw your diagrams it totally match. Well i have a lathe and mill workshop so with some time i will fabricate the right adapter. Really thanks for all the information Esteban. Say Pancho thanks for share it. By the way también soy Ing mecanico :D
ylopez Offline

Postby Esteban » Sat May 21, 2016 8:40 pm

I can ask Pancho to send you his CAD drawings, that will save you some time.

The funny thing is that he gave the machinist an oil filter from his other car at that time. Now I had to go looking for Hyundai oil filters every time.

You probably can make a couple adapters and sell here. I'm sure other members will like one. Except the purists.
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby faux40 » Sun May 22, 2016 9:23 am

Because of the oil-reversal challenge, I've thought about trying to find a similar right-angle filter adapter from another engine and adapt that to the P. But then I've found the existing filter assembly isn't that bad to work with... and life got busy.

If someone were to make an adapter at a decent price, count me in on the buy!

John
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby rdarnell » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:45 am

I was looking though my parts stash and found some missing parts on my oil filter housings and I am think I would prefer to have a spin on filter anyway.

the blue one appears to be the eralier version as I found it in my 1962 parts catalog and mine are represented in the 1965 parts catalog
rdarnell Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby Esteban » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:37 pm

rdarnell wrote:I was looking though my parts stash and found some missing parts on my oil filter housings and I am think I would prefer to have a spin on filter anyway.

For the exact same reasons is that I changed mine to a spin on filter years ago. My first attempt was my design, and I had that for over 10 years or more. Then Pancho came along and decided to do his own take for an adapter, and made one for me. Outstanding! Unfortunately he's no longer with a Patrol, but the conceptual of his adapter is there. I could help you with some pictures and what needs to be done. If you have a machine shop that will not charge you an arm and a leg, it's easy for them to do. If you're handy with a lathe, you could do it.

I'm now in the process of changing home, so it might need to wait a couple of weeks. There was another member that asked me about the adapter, and Pancho said that he had no problems sharing his idea, but his Autocad files where missing.

I know some purist don't like this idea. Once done, you won't even notice there's one, unless you're deep into Patrols. For me, it is a matter of function!
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby rdarnell » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:20 pm

Fortunately for me, my father is a machinist... so I might give your design a stab. I had also looked at making a new plate to mount to engine block that has a couple AN fittings and then remote mount it to the back of the block a little higher using the two mounting bosses just below the side cover. I do not recall them being used for anything. That would be the simplest way and I could just do that at home.
rdarnell Offline

Next

Return to Modifications