different carb

Upgrades, downgrades, modernizations, alterations or just being creative.

Postby Haker-98 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:26 pm

just wondering what other people run for carbys on their patrols
just looking for somthing thats better than the hitachi ones for second patrol ive got for offroad work
abit of extra power would be nice to! :lol:
Haker-98 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby Esteban » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:10 pm

I've been running a Carter YF that came from a 300 cid 6 cyl Ford Bronco from the 80s, including the air cleanear combo for over 10 years. My Patrol reaches top rpms with ease. I'm happy with it.

The original Hitachi was fine but definitely had less power. The main jet carrier seized on the body and stripped the threads. Otherwise I might have kept it. It was easy to swap the main jet if you were going to higher altitudes. The change was from the ouside and done in less than 5 minutes. Good on fuel consumption too.

Getting a repair kit for the Carter is very easy as well.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:51 am

My Aussie Ute has a Stromberg on it, and it runs great. I know other Aussies run the Stromberg and like it also.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Haker-98 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:31 am

thanks alot
ive heard people run holley 350cfm carbs on them
just dont know how good they are
anyway i brought an adaptor today to run one so will let you know if its any good
Haker-98 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby Mr. Zero » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:32 pm

I've recently swapped out my Rochester 1bbl for a Motorcraft 2150 2bbl with auto/electric choke and 2bbl-1bbl adapter. With the auto/electric choke the truck fires right up and runs smooth every time.

Per its reputation the Motorcraft has delivered fuel reliably at all of the odd angles that I've managed to get the truck into and is very responsive to throttle input. :twisted:

I'm still evaluating fuel efficiency (which I'm expecting to be improved from the Rochester) and will post that data back here when I've got it.

Michael at Gronk Performance (http://www.ebay.com/usr/ehrmannmp) jetted and tuned the carb specifically for the P motor and my elevation.

It's worth mentioning that after assembling the carb and adapter there is only enough room to run a low-profile air cleaner and 1.5 inch filter.

If you go with this carb you'll want the 1.08 Venturis for the P motor.

The original inspiration for this upgrade/mod came from this article: FORD MOTOCRAFT TWO-BARREL CARBURETOR = HILLBILLY FUEL INJECTION

Here are a couple vids of the engine running with the card installed and adjusted:
Vid #1 at engine bay.
Vid #2 at exhaust outlet.

Jason @battlebornpinzgauer
[1975 Pinzgauer 710K 2.7L EFI]
Mr. Zero Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby richw » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:06 pm

engine.png
Is anyone out there running a weber?
I have not stripped down my carb yet because she runs fine and as far as I know it's original...BUT I love the simplicity of the Webers.
Sorry, not a great shot of the carb!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
richw Offline

Postby Johnny Roadkill » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:59 pm

richw wrote:Is anyone out there running a weber?
I have not stripped down my carb yet because she runs fine and as far as I know it's original...BUT I love the simplicity of the Webers.

Not on a P motor, but on an L-series...32/36 DG(A)V has been a great carb for me - built to a plan not a price, super easy to swap out jets and straightforward to rebuild.

Also 45 DCOEs...great midrange and top end, awesome sound and even more tuneable but possibly not the best option for a P motor since 4 intake ports feed 6 cylinders and a plenum to even out the pressures kinda defeats the purpose :lol:

cheers,
D
'71 P510 Wagon - the smile generator.
'74 G60H - strawberry farm patrol.
'78 G60H Ute Cab - the cherry on top.
'80 G61H - the start of things to come.
'92 Pulsar Ti - my SR20 powered daily driver.
'01 Kessner 7x4 - the pack horse.
'07 Challenge Camper - home away from home.
'09 Prado - the family fourby and her daily driver.
'14 200EXC - a chainsaw with wheels.
Johnny Roadkill Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby RiverPatrol » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:52 am

Mr. Zero wrote:I've recently swapped out my Rochester 1bbl for a Motorcraft 2150 2bbl with auto/electric choke and 2bbl-1bbl adapter. With the auto/electric choke the truck fires right up and runs smooth every time.

Per its reputation the Motorcraft has delivered fuel reliably at all of the odd angles that I've managed to get the truck into and is very responsive to throttle input. :twisted:

I'm still evaluating fuel efficiency (which I'm expecting to be improved from the Rochester) and will post that data back here when I've got it.

Michael at Gronk Performance (http://www.ebay.com/usr/ehrmannmp) jetted and tuned the carb specifically for the P motor and my elevation.

It's worth mentioning that after assembling the carb and adapter there is only enough room to run a low-profile air cleaner and 1.5 inch filter.

Very cool! Great information. And your Patrol looks great. Nice to know you're getting some fun use out of it.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Zero » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:56 am

RiverPatrol wrote:Very cool! Great information. And your Patrol looks great. Nice to know you're getting some fun use out of it.

Thanks! After years in project mode it's good to be getting in some trail time with it. Now that the project is finally coming close to completion (these things are never really "done", are they?) I will retroactively post some aspects of the build that I hope might be useful to others on the forum. ;)
Jason @battlebornpinzgauer
[1975 Pinzgauer 710K 2.7L EFI]
Mr. Zero Offline

Postby Powder27 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:50 am

Any update on the Motorcraft 2150? Did you go with the "rebuilt" version or the "unmarked" casting? Are you still happy with performance (power/mpg/reliability)? I'm looking at doing this modification as well.
Powder27 Offline

Lurker
Lurker

Next

Return to Modifications