Gleason Torsen Locker

Upgrades, downgrades, modernizations, alterations or just being creative.

Postby JW Novo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:31 pm

Hey yall. I just got on here and have a question. I have a 69 Patrol with a Chevy 327 and what looks like Gleason Torsen lockers in front and rear. Got it in an auction several years ago. Problem is, the rear locker decided that parts of it wanted to be outside the differential cover. I opened her up, and she's not pretty. I sent an email to Gleason-Torsen, and I had told him what I had and that I have 10-spline axles. The guy sent me one back saying that he didn't think Torsen EVER made a locker for this application. Now, I'm wondering if another company out there makes a worm-gear style differential like the Torsen. I've looked, but have only found a helical-gear type locker and it's completely different. I'm 99.0% sure mine is a Torsen, but don't know where to find another one. Whoever built this rig did it right, so they may have ordered something close and had a machine shop build the 10-splined gears. It's possible. I hope not, because I'd like to just be able to slap a new one in if I can find one. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, J-dub
JW Novo Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:57 am

Welcome to 60Patrol! :text-welcomewave:

To my knowledge there has never been a locker available for the C216 differential that the US Patrols have. Pictures would be helpful. Chances are that you don't have the original diff, possibly Toyota or Dana.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby JW Novo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:57 pm

OK, I finally got back on here and tried to load pictures, but I'm getting a message- (The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 1280 pixels wide and 1024 pixels high. The submitted image is 3648 pixels wide and 2736 pixels high.) I don't know how to fix this. The pictures I took of My diffs look exactly like 69 Patrol diffs I have found for sale on the internet. If anyone can tell me how to load pictures, I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks. JW.
JW Novo Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:37 am

The images are too large and need to be resized. The max size is 1280 x 1024 pixels. If they are on your phone you can email them to yourself, when you send the email select 'Medium' when prompted for the size to send. The pictures that you receive will be resized and can be uploaded here. Otherwise, use a pictures application on your PC to resize them.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby JW Novo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:31 pm

pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JW Novo Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby JW Novo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:46 pm

pic2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JW Novo Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby JW Novo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:51 pm

pic 3
JW Novo Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby JW Novo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:53 pm

pic 4
JW Novo Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby JW Novo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:10 pm

All right, I got my nephew to post these pictures. He got 2 pictures of the locker that came out of the rear diff, but didn't get a picture of the rear diff. He got both sides of the front diff. If I can figure it out (old dog), I'll try to post rear diff pics, but the housing looks similar to the front, with the same type cutout at the top, and the same driver's side offset of the pumpkin. Plus, the front diff has the same type locker in it as the on in the pics- looks to me like an old Gleason-Thorsen (contrary to what I'm being told. You may be able to tell- it DOES have 10 splines. And if I remember correctly, I DID find a C216 on both of the diffs. I'll try to remember to check again and let yall know. Thanks again, J-Dub

Man, I think I finally figured out how to post a picture. This one is of my rear differential. (The red RTV is a field-fix after getting all the shrapnel out, so I could drive it back up the hill.)
JW Novo Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:24 am

It does indeed appear to be the original C216 diffs. Never heard of that locker before, or any lock for the C216 other than Lincoln lockers.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Modifications