Power steering - Easy fit?? + Mystery number.

Upgrades, downgrades, modernizations, alterations or just being creative.

Postby Bluey » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:56 am

Hi folks,
In the middle of planning upgrades/modifications to my Ol' G60. thinking of putting some MQ/GQ running gear under it if possible (not looking promising) Ofcourse almost anything is possible if you have the time and/or Money, which i have neither at this stage.
So I have a mate at work who is trying to sell me his old MQ with SD33 4speed. He said it has Power steering, I was just wondering if anyone knows if it would be a reasonably easy bolt in option or are the steering boxes completly different between MQ and G60? Can't say I've ever looked at a power steering box in a MQ. I really don't need it, probably just more to go wrong, but I thought if it's a really simple fit I may aswell spoil myself a little.

Also i noticed the other day that someone has engraved something into the ID plate that sits on top of the radiator support member across the front.
Does anyone have any idea why someone would engrave NPLW and a 3 digit number after it??? it's on the line between the RPM and Chassis number (most of the painted parts have been rubbed/wiped off, so can only make out what has been stamped into the plate.

Oh and while I'm at it... Does anyone know where you can/if you can buy G60 spare parts? like door/window seals, or Gear stick boots (as rats have gotten in and chewed through one (was old and partly torn already))

Any help/ideas on these issues would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Bluey
Patrols - Pulling Toyota's from bogs since 1951.
Bluey Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:39 am

Ebay is your best source for parts.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:44 pm

Bluey wrote:...
So I have a mate at work who is trying to sell me his old MQ with SD33 4speed. He said it has Power steering, I was just wondering if anyone knows if it would be a reasonably easy bolt in option or are the steering boxes completly different between MQ and G60? Can't say I've ever looked at a power steering box in a MQ. I really don't need it, probably just more to go wrong, but I thought if it's a really simple fit I may aswell spoil myself a little.
Thanks
Bluey

Having owned a 1984 MQ (160 series) for some years, along with the 60 series Patrol, I can assure you that it is not a bolt on alternative. Totally different steering systems between the two, so some modifications to the chassis will be needed to bolt on the MQ steering box.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Bluey » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:01 pm

Esteban wrote:...
Having owned a 1984 MQ (160 series) for some years, along with the 60 series Patrol, I can assure you that it is not a bolt on alternative. Totally different steering systems between the two, so some modifications to the chassis will be needed to bolt on the MQ steering box.

Haha ok fair enough, won't even bother then as I don't mind manual steering, most of my other vehicle don't have it. won't need to go to the gym then :p haha
So that opens up another question, if you swap over to MQ diffs the gain the front disc brakes, how does the steering mate up to the 60 steering box? do you use the 60 steering links or the MQ links? or a mixture of both? Was thinking about swapping out for MQ or GQ diffs to gain disc brakes on the front alteast. I've seen alot of people say they have done it, but noone mentions if it's a big job to change, only that the spring mounts need to be moved out slightly, nothing about trouble with steering links :think:
Bluey Offline

Postby Esteban » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:39 pm

Bluey wrote:...
So that opens up another question, if you swap over to MQ diffs the gain the front disc brakes, how does the steering mate up to the 60 steering box? do you use the 60 steering links or the MQ links? or a mixture of both?

That's easy to solve. I've included a diagram of the steering linkage of the MQ Patrol, although it's for the "right" side of the road :twisted: Yours will be reversed. You'll see that the difference is the additional idler arm and a relay box (?) inside the circle in the diagram.

That relay box was always a pain, and prone to cause vibrations on the steering at the minimum wear. On the MQ wagon that I had, I eliminated this relay box and the short steering linkage, cut the long linkage and extended. By doing that, it effectively became the design of the 60 series Patrol steering. Not a single problem. So there you have the solution when you mix the two designs.

SteeringLinkage-Patrol160.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Bluey » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:21 pm

Well that looks like a pretty easy fix then. I wonder if GQ is much the same? probably not haha. So if I just stick wit the the G60 steering box and extend that shaft from the MQ linkages and it should be pretty right? Thanks :D
Bluey Offline

Return to Modifications