Back Seats / Top

Upgrades, downgrades, modernizations, alterations or just being creative.

Postby kyoungbball » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:29 pm

Hello everyone - I'm new to this site, it's super cool. I just bought a 65 Patrol. I want to let my kids who are all under 8 years old ride in the back. Has anyone modified the back benches or put new ones in that face the front? I feel like this may be safer for the little ones. My local restoration guy said kids under a certain age can't ride in the back with the seats not facing the front.

That being said, I love the benches in the back how they come and its one of the reasons I bought it - and would really like to find a way to have it all. Any ideas on this topic?

Also, the first matter of business for me is taking the top off. Does anyone have any advice with that as well?
kyoungbball Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:14 am

Welcome to 60Patrol! :text-welcomeconfetti: Glad you found your way here and congratulations on the new project. :D

I'm not in AZ so I can't speak to vehicle laws there, but I've never heard anyone else say that about kids in back. How many new cars have rear facing seats in back now? The biggest safety factor is the lack of seat belts for the back seats. There have been some members that fabricated a single forward facing rear seat, here's one here and it even has the top off: https://www.60patrol.com/forum/viewtopi ... 9&start=90 . You will lose access and storage utility to the rear since the seat has to be permanent. Everyone else has had their kids in the back side facing seats and the kids had a fabulous time there.

To remove the top you're going to want a friend to help or use of a tractor. Easiest way is to take it off in one piece. Unbolt the bolts across the top of the windshield and along the bottom of the roof sides. The top half of the rear doors come off also. There is a wire at the passenger side top of the windshield the has to be disconnected, that's for the rear light. Then it should lift off. If it's never been off before the rubber weatherstrip along the bottom edge might make it stick a little, just pry it up a little and it will go.

Post up some pictures when you can. We love pictures! :D
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby zed » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:23 am

Welcome.

For a rear seat, consider an alternative similar to this kit https://www.coolcruisers.com/seberefj.html.

FJ40 owners are very ingenious in their modifications, an example is https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/baby-back-seats-fj40-softy.463249/.

One word of caution; the anchor points for the seat assembly and seat belts need to be reinforced, the rear area floor sheet metal of a Patrol could easily shear.

Naturally, photos of your ultimate solution will help other Patrol owners when considering similar modifications.
Keith
1969 Patrol L60
1965 Patrol L60 (parts provider)
1966 PL520
1970 240Z
1990 300ZX (sold 10/04/13)
zed Online

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby zed » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:35 pm

Here is some inspiration for you:
Reat Seat.jpg

Keith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1969 Patrol L60
1965 Patrol L60 (parts provider)
1966 PL520
1970 240Z
1990 300ZX (sold 10/04/13)
zed Online

Postby kyoungbball » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:44 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. I'll let you know what I end up doing.

Here are some pictures of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kyoungbball Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:29 am

Looks like a great project truck. Lots of potential there.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby krc65tan » Thu May 13, 2021 9:05 am

Great looking truck! I'm with River on this one. I also have kids and they absolutely love having facing jump seats. No one has ever hassled us driving around Phoenix and abroad. The main upgrades I did for safety was to install new lap belts ($20 a piece with mounting hardware) all around, three for the front bench and four in the back. I also installed a roll bar, which is a must if you're going topless with little ones (or anyone else) in the back. Lap belts (although not as secure) work fine for car seats.
krc65tan Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….
So, I just bought this Patrol….

Return to Modifications