EFI, anyone?

Upgrades, downgrades, modernizations, alterations or just being creative.

Postby timber » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:29 pm

Hey Patrolees,

I have been incognito for a while. Other things took priority in life. But now I am re-attacking the effort to get my Patrol going again. I have found a mechanic that seems competent and able. My Patrol runs terrible. I think it is a combination of bad gas from debris in the tank, a carb that leaks gas badly and probably out of tune with no vacuum on the vacuum advance, a bad voltage regulator, an intake and exhaust manifold that are not seated correctly and missing bolts and leak. Other than that, I can't understand why it runs so poorly. My plan for the mechanic to take the tank out and get it recoated, fix the manifolds and have them planed and reinstalled. He is an advocate of EFI and has offered to convert the Patrol to EFI. If I converted, some savings and effort in the conversion could be harvested for me because the tank will already be out getting re-coated.

I have done a word search here for "EFI" and the latest related post is in 2018 with the only one of near relevance being in 2014 by moore_rb.

My question to others here is: Has anyone here had experience with EFI conversion? Good or bad experiences? Specifically on a Patrol? If not on a Patrol, on anything else?

Thanks very much,
Tom
Tom
Modelo 1976 L60
Batalla 2200mm
Cilindrada 130 a 3956cc
timber Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby faux40 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:33 pm

I have plans to EFI mine -- I already have a megasquirt just waiting! The catch with the Patrol is that the intake manifold only has four runners with two of them serving two cylinders each. I've thought of doing port injection by putting two injectors into each of those shared ports, but I'm sure to use a throttle body injector.
Here's a bit about it: viewtopic.php?p=24155#p24155

Gas tank wise, I have two of them -- one I had relined several years ago, but since it sat so long, I thought that it would need to be re-re-lined before use. I expect the second is in great shape, but it's the smaller style and its been sitting forever! So, I took the john-overkill route and made a tank from scratch! ;-) I also included an in-tank fuel pump sized for a TPI solution.

Here's where my DIY gas tank story starts-ish: viewtopic.php?p=51913#p51913
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby jwgreen » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:17 am

Someone on here has already put a Holley EFI on one, I'm not sure who it was but I'm sure someone does.

I have plans to do this as well, even have a forklift manifold that I am going to use for it!

One of these days!!
Justin
jwgreen Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby faux40 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:00 pm

jwgreen wrote:Someone on here has already put a Holley EFI on one, I'm not sure who it was but I'm sure someone does.

I have plans to do this as well, even have a forklift manifold that I am going to use for it!

One of these days!!

Is the forklift manifold for a 2 barrel?
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby timber » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:25 pm

Thanks John and Justin. I reviewed previous posts and saw what you have linked. I thought products and technology may have changed some in the last 10 years. I am still not sure whether to go EFI or just fix what I have. If I could be very confident EFI would work with no problems, I would do it, but if EFI has any "glitches", it will be harder to troubleshoot and fix, I think. I think I will let my guy take the manifolds off and get the tank cleaned first, then I will decide which way to go.

Thanks for the input,
Tom
Tom
Modelo 1976 L60
Batalla 2200mm
Cilindrada 130 a 3956cc
timber Offline

Postby Esteban » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:06 pm

faux40 wrote:
jwgreen wrote:Someone on here has already put a Holley EFI on one, I'm not sure who it was but I'm sure someone does.

One of these days!!

If the manifold was from a P40 engine, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby jwgreen » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:47 am

faux40 wrote:

One of these days!!

Yes, forklift manifold is designed for 2 barrel carb. The Holley one that I was going to use has just a slightly different bolt pattern, as usual, so it will need either a adapter plate or slight modification.
Justin
jwgreen Offline

Postby jwgreen » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:52 am

timber wrote:Thanks John and Justin. I reviewed previous posts and saw what you have linked. I thought products and technology may have changed some in the last 10 years. I am still not sure whether to go EFI or just fix what I have. If I could be very confident EFI would work with no problems, I would do it, but if EFI has any "glitches", it will be harder to troubleshoot and fix, I think. I think I will let my guy take the manifolds off and get the tank cleaned first, then I will decide which way to go.

Thanks for the input,
Tom

Tom,

Everything has glitches, just depends on which you prefer to work with.

If you go with the EFI you will need to add a O2 sensor and a water temp sensor somewhere in the system. You should be able to use the stock distributor as well. Nice thing about the EFI is that it will compensate for things like temp and altitude to provide similar performance within those variables.

Unless you have that magic weird touch, carbs can be a real pain as well.

Both setups can be PITA for sure.
Justin
jwgreen Offline

Return to Modifications