I finally got to meet Esteban!

Events, trips, get togethers, car shows, etc.

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:21 pm

A couple weeks ago I received an email from Esteban. He said he and his wife were going to be in So Cal, actually very near me, and wanted to meet up. What an awesome opportunity I thought! Esteban and I have been online friends for well over a decade and he has been a huge influence in the Patrol community, it was nice to know we could finally meet face to face.

They arrived just in time to experience the biggest rainstorm CA has had in many years. This put a damper on their site seeing unfortunately. The rain stopped the day they were to visit me so that worked out. Esteban and his lovely wife Ximi arrived and I proceeded to give them the tour of the remnants of the Patrol Farm. I always enjoy when anyone stops by to talk Patrol talk and we certainly did a good bit of that. Both of them were quite taken with Togo, Ximi had to get in and sit behind the wheel. They said it reminded them of Esteban's when he first got it. Soon they were ready to take me to lunch but I had to show Esteban my final jewel; the parts room. I think he was a bit awed by that.

We went to the Old Town district to one of my favorite eateries and had a very pleasant lunch. Both the conversation and food were memorable. Esteban's like me in that he doesn't talk much but Ximi did an excellent job of keeping the conversation among all of us engaging. When lunch was over they needed to head out to meet with their other friends. They wanted to take a scenic route so I directed them to the back way through wine country, which they enjoyed.

It was truly a great experience to finally get to meet Esteban.

IMG_7151.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby plateaucal » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:09 pm

Esteban is definitely one of the coolest Patrollers here. What would we do without him? So, Esteban, did you get some photos of River's parts room that you can share or was there a sign on the door that said "No backpacks or cameras allowed"?
plateaucal Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Esteban » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:41 pm

Thank you for your kind words, Leslie. :oops: :oops: It was an incredible experience for my wife and I, and something we wanted to do for a long time. I thought it was never going to happen, and suddenly all the stars aligned, except the weather.

I've been following RiverPatrol since the days of the now defunct Nissan Patrol Club Albuquerque around 2002, So finally having the chance to meet her and the Patrol farm in person, was like a pilgrimage, only better. Regrettably we live on opposite sides of the Country, because otherwise we would be making periodical visits to her place. Very emotional experience as well, and my wife was totally moved when she sat at the wheel of Togo. Who wouldn't! It reminded her the good old days when she learned to drive in mine, and later when we travel in the Patrol to our honeymoon.

For me it was also very special. After moving to the States 15 years ago, Patrol included, being part of this forum and knowing through it so many wonderful members has given me such a sense of belonging to this beautiful Country, that I don't have enough words to praise the effort that Leslie has done in building this community.

Thank you Leslie!

plateaucal wrote:... So, Esteban, did you get some photos of River's parts room that you can share or was there a sign on the door that said "No backpacks or cameras allowed"?
:shhh: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately, not. Was so trilled of looking at all the parts and bins that I forgot to use my phone.

We had a really good time in Old Town Temecula, talking a lot about Patrols, and later drove up north to visit some friends via a scenic route that Leslie suggested across the wineries in this area. The weather did cooperate during the whole day!
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…
Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby L60Boerne » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:54 am

What a good time you guys had. River, you know my daughter lives out that way and I will be make good on my offer for dinner with you one of these days and Esteban, you are tireless but I rarely go East but if I'm close I'd will call and see if you hand Ximi have time a dinner as well.

Thus....we must have a Patrol Convention somewhere before we roll up in wheel chairs and walkers.

I'll offer up Lake City, CO or The Lair. There is not any good off roading at Liar'sLair, too flat but I can sleep 20-25 people and once behind the locked gate we have 6000 acres to Patrol without fear of anything if you wanted to have a little nip while your double clutching.

Regardless, I sure look forward to meeting more Patrollers as the years go on because you have all been so generous to me.

Making Patrols Great Again,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top
65 No Top
L60Boerne Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby mdawg4x4 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:36 pm

Awesome opportunity for the two most knowledgeable Patrollers in the states!
63 Nissan Patrol project, 1967 Nissan Patrol, 2012 Nissan Xterra (daughter's), 2017 Jeep JKUR, 1998 Jeep TJ
mdawg4x4 Offline

Postby Swerve » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:52 am

Awesome stuff
Swerve Offline

Return to Out and About