Patrol Ralley

Events, trips, get togethers, car shows, etc.

Postby plateaucal » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:01 pm

It appears that we have the beginnings of a Patrol ralley. As it currently stands we intend to make the highest documented North American ascent by a 60 Series Patrol. So far we have an intrepid crew of three that have volunteered for this task. There will be at least two Patrols in the line. Worst case we will need some support crew, just in case we need to roll a stranded Patrol off to the side of the road or extract bodies from a deep ravine. The meeting location is Lake City, Colorado. Proposed time is around Labor Day. The route will follow the infamous Alpine loop. The treacherous trial has claimed many lives (of course that was back in the 1800's). Nowadays it is a very popular back country drive that has a rated difficulty of "easy". I have done in it two wheel drive and several times in anything from a full size crew cab to a Jeep. If you have fear of heights, this is a good place to work that out because the trail is pretty safe and the views are beyond stunning. Rain is our only concern. This trip gives you the opportunity to visit several historic towns and ghost towns. There are many other side trips that can be had from here is well.

The group leader and host for this event is L60Boerne (aka, David). So far this trip is considered a "near solid go". Since I live here I am definitely going.
plateaucal Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby curlrider11 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:09 pm

Oh man if I was within a thousand miles that would be so tempting :) . It would be even more tempting if I had a parts rig for when things inevitably break :-) looking forward to the photos
"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice. " Pr. 12:15
curlrider11 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby L60Boerne » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:38 pm

Yes, Yes. This will a memory. If I can get Hershel to bring up Santa's Sleigh then we will have four. I really want to compare the motor performance of the carb Eddy the Eagle put on Santa's Sleigh I think it really adds responsiveness and power. The white 63 has a perfectly tuned VZ 42 while the tan 65 has a perfectly jetted Rochester. I think the carb on the Sleigh will smoke them both.

Time and elevation will tell.

Lake City Labor Day....we will be patrolling to paradise,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby plateaucal » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:42 pm

Our names will be spoken of alongside Mears, Robideaux, Wood, and Fremont...if we succeed. Otherwise, we might be associated with Packer, Thornburgh and Cassidy.
plateaucal Offline

Postby mdawg4x4 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:45 am

Sounds like fun. I've tried to schedule the Alpine loop the past 2 years we went to CO, but other trails keep getting in the way.
63 Nissan Patrol project, 1967 Nissan Patrol, 2012 Nissan Xterra (daughter's), 2017 Jeep JKUR, 1998 Jeep TJ
mdawg4x4 Offline

Postby plateaucal » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:36 am

It appears that this is a go for the last weekend in August. (August 31 and Sept. 1, I guess). Plans are still being hashed out. The first day we are planning on bagging Engineers Pass and if all goes well heading down to Ouray from there. From there we will go over Owl Creek pass with a brief diversion along the West Fork of the Cimarron River. Then back to Hwy 50, to the cutoff over the Alpine Plateau and back to Lake City. We will sooth our aching backs at L60Boerne's log palace. That as a far as we have planned. I think we have three or four of us going. There may be a day two, we'l see. Hopefully our intrepid Texan will chime in on this as he is the trip leader (if he doesn't get gored by an elephant or eaten by a lion during his July safari).
plateaucal Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:28 am

Plateaucal...that sounds great. If my Patrols will not make with with the experts assembling for this Epic patrol they never will.

Brian are those dates good with you? You mentioned something about going to Pebble Beach? You will be driving the Presidio Patrol. It has a roll bar.....and seat belts....

It seems reasonable that all the high mountain trails will be open by then.

Please note a Willy's driver was killed and his passengers badly hurt and he rolled and crashed his flat fender recently. He got trapped in too high a gear on a downhill roll. Just reminder we must approach this with the respect it requires. I expect my backside to be tighter than toes in a fat Albert's track shoes.

Right now we have four Patrols on this mission....anyone else?

Patrolling in circles in Lake City till Plateau arrives for the 4th Parade!

L60Boerne

Please nite
L60Boerne Offline

Postby plateaucal » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:39 pm

Well, the Patrol Ralley is officially off. There is some concern with the reliability of these machines at altitude. Perhaps we will figger it out.
plateaucal Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:46 pm

All, I'm back and caught up. The delay in the Rocky Rally is my fault. The bottom line is that neither of my Patrols are safe for the challenge. Both patrols need motor work. The Presidio Patrol (65) goes into "ready with the wrench Rene" shop next week. It was get a new exhaust manifold and exhaust. Then he or Eddy the Eagle will work on my 63 over the winter to determine why the white smoke occasionally puffs from the exhaust...which may have some connection to the stall I had at just 10,000' a month or so ago. That just can't happen.

Bottom line is that the Alpine Loop is no place to have iffy equipment, not only are they tricky to drive but the late opening of The Loop means it will be (as it is now) bumper to bumper. We must wait until my relics are reliable. But until then the CO lowlands around Lake City are safe territory and we have a great time. Plateaucal is a great leader for our CO efforts.

Patrolling again soon,
L60Boerne
L60Boerne Offline

Return to Out and About