Davies Plain Trail - Victoria Australia

Events, trips, get togethers, car shows, etc.

Postby Peter60 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:34 pm

A few weeks ago I joined my 4WD Club to a trip to Victoria just the other side of the Kosciuzko National Park (in NSW).

Each year they travel to Charlie Creek via different routes. This year the Davies Plain Trail was just reopened after being closed for several years due to sever storm damage.

The trail was classified double diamond black by the Victiorian 4WD club. This was the most difficult trail in Victoria (so I am told).

We started at Tom Groggin. There were seven newish 4WDs and my G60 Patrol. We headed to Davis Plain Hut.

This track was severely rutted. Photos don't do it justice!

Hills 1.jpg

The lead vehicle with the right rear wheel in a 4 foot hole and the front left up about 4 feet in the air. A few heavy guys on the side trying to weight it down (... yes not very safe...).

We all managed to get through with some careful guidance.

Hills 2.jpg

More ruts. Again my G60 didn't have a problem.

Hills 3.jpg

Camping at Charlie Creek. I travel light with a pop-up tent.

Hills 4.jpg

Heading to Mt Gibbo. Trail is steep but not rutted. However there were several rock ledges that needed to be navigated.

Hills 5.jpg

Reaching Mt Gibbo.

My G60 Patrol, as expected, could do everything the new 4WDs gould do :D

It went flawlessly. However now the clutch is showing signs of needing a replacement. This was on my to-do list anyway.

My Patrol is a standard G60 with a Marks 5 speed gearbox. The lower speed of the Marks was appreciated when climbing some of the steep sections. We did about 120 miles of low range driving.

Here is a link to more about Davies Plain https://www.4wdvictoria.org.au/iconic4w ... davies.pdf

I certainly had a great weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not sure if I will get there.
Not sure if I will get back.
But I usually do!!!
Peter60 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Esteban » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:36 pm

Thanks for sharing the details of your trip, and great to hear about the performance of your Patrol. Congratulations!!!

Great pictures Peter!
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:07 am

What a great trip, thanks for sharing. For some reason the camera lens can never truly depict rough terrain, I can appreciate that it is much worse than it looks in the pictures. It's always a proud moment when your 50 year old bare bones basic Patrol can keep up with modern air conditioned power steering equipped vehicles. :mrgreen:
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Return to Out and About