Engineer's Pass Ascent Oct 12-15, 2020

Events, trips, get togethers, car shows, etc.

Postby L60Boerne » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:29 pm

mdawg4 x4,
All you need to do is tell me when you can come up The Lair and we find a way to make sure you have an advantage :animals-chickencatch: . Not that it paid off for Plateaucal :shock:

Patrolling again soon,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby plateaucal » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:48 pm

Paid off? Aside from almost freezing to death, I ate well, drank well and actually was able to take a shot at a moving streak of reddish brown something. I think I could have been successful but the blind was rattling so bad from me shaking, you could hear it 1/4 mile away.
plateaucal Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby jwgreen » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:11 pm

plateaucal wrote:Paid off? Aside from almost freezing to death, I ate well, drank well and actually was able to take a shot at a moving streak of reddish brown something. I think I could have been successful but the blind was rattling so bad from me shaking, you could hear it 1/4 mile away.

Wait.....I'm confused.....are you not from Colorado??? Isn't is like REALLY cold there with lots of snow and wind???
Justin
jwgreen Offline

Postby plateaucal » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:01 pm

Well, in all fairness, David did warn me that a Texas cold is not like Colorado cold. You see, we are several thousand feet closer to the sun and it's dry (heat transfer or something). Thirty two degrees down there is freezing, up here it's shorts weather. But I will admit, I always assumed Texan's were a bunch of softies (that's what the other Yankies told me). I am sure you would agree. :D I grew up in Nebraska and hunted when it was so cold that the birds wouldn't fly. It was so cold it took 10 seconds to rack your shotgun. It was so cold that your face felt like you just got back from a trip to the dentist. But that was 40 years ago. Geez, Alaska was more comfortable than Texas, unless you fell into the water.

But it was fun!!!!! Good memories at The Lair.
plateaucal Offline

Postby jwgreen » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:18 pm

plateaucal wrote:Well, in all fairness, David did warn me that a Texas cold is not like Colorado cold. You see, we are several thousand feet closer to the sun and it's dry (heat transfer or something). Thirty two degrees down there is freezing, up here it's shorts weather. But I will admit, I always assumed Texan's were a bunch of softies (that's what the other Yankies told me). I am sure you would agree. :D I grew up in Nebraska and hunted when it was so cold that the birds wouldn't fly. It was so cold it took 10 seconds to rack your shotgun. It was so cold that your face felt like you just got back from a trip to the dentist. But that was 40 years ago. Geez, Alaska was more comfortable than Texas, unless you fell into the water.

But it was fun!!!!! Good memories at The Lair.

Sounds like you Yankies are the softies to me........
Justin
jwgreen Offline

Postby plateaucal » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:30 pm

Well if you are a Marine...we are all softies.
plateaucal Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:25 am

This near death experience for our mountain man will get replayed. This year is sorta fouled up but may be March 1,2021 some Patrollees can meet there and have a little better weather. Plateaucal caught one of our cold snaps :violin: and it was painful for him but he is a real gamer so he didn't complain much when the first couple of toes feel off. :liar:

Maybe we can look for them next March. Otherwise we could show him what it is like to hunt in the Sahara when you get so thirty you would drink the water out of your tractor tires :confusion-helpsos: but summers are his busy time.

Patrolling over the pandemic,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Postby plateaucal » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:46 am

It may be hard to imagine, but as I felt that the last throes of life were draining away, and the light of consciousness dimming, I had to make a fateful decision. How would I want to be remembered? I chose to fight on. As I fired up that 4 liter straight six I knew that I would rather be pried from the steering wheel of a vintage Patrol than have my frozen corpse unceremoniously lowered from a deer stand to the bed of a waiting pickup truck. I braced against the cold breeze from the open topped Nissan and I asked myself...Where the hell is the heater!?

David, you can write about this in the sequel to Hunting Comancheria.
plateaucal Offline

Postby plateaucal » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:21 am

I forgot the part where I had to suck the blood out of a rattlesnake for energy and fight off a kettle of vultures as the swooped and danced around me.
plateaucal Offline

Postby jwgreen » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:38 am

plateaucal wrote:I forgot the part where I had to suck the blood out of a rattlesnake for energy and fight off a kettle of vultures as the swooped and danced around me.

Think you guys were hitting the Peyote out there in West Texas!!!! :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
Justin
jwgreen Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Out and About