Page 2 of 2

Re: Engineer's Pass Ascent Oct 12-15, 2020

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:29 pm
by L60Boerne
mdawg4 x4,
All you need to do is tell me when you can come up The Lair and we find a way to make sure you have an advantage :animals-chickencatch: . Not that it paid off for Plateaucal :shock:

Patrolling again soon,
L60Boerne

Re: Engineer's Pass Ascent Oct 12-15, 2020

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:48 pm
by plateaucal
Paid off? Aside from almost freezing to death, I ate well, drank well and actually was able to take a shot at a moving streak of reddish brown something. I think I could have been successful but the blind was rattling so bad from me shaking, you could hear it 1/4 mile away.

Re: Engineer's Pass Ascent Oct 12-15, 2020

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:11 pm
by jwgreen
plateaucal wrote:Paid off? Aside from almost freezing to death, I ate well, drank well and actually was able to take a shot at a moving streak of reddish brown something. I think I could have been successful but the blind was rattling so bad from me shaking, you could hear it 1/4 mile away.


Wait.....I'm confused.....are you not from Colorado??? Isn't is like REALLY cold there with lots of snow and wind???

Re: Engineer's Pass Ascent Oct 12-15, 2020

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:01 pm
by plateaucal
Well, in all fairness, David did warn me that a Texas cold is not like Colorado cold. You see, we are several thousand feet closer to the sun and it's dry (heat transfer or something). Thirty two degrees down there is freezing, up here it's shorts weather. But I will admit, I always assumed Texan's were a bunch of softies (that's what the other Yankies told me). I am sure you would agree. :D I grew up in Nebraska and hunted when it was so cold that the birds wouldn't fly. It was so cold it took 10 seconds to rack your shotgun. It was so cold that your face felt like you just got back from a trip to the dentist. But that was 40 years ago. Geez, Alaska was more comfortable than Texas, unless you fell into the water.

But it was fun!!!!! Good memories at The Lair.

Re: Engineer's Pass Ascent Oct 12-15, 2020

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:18 pm
by jwgreen
plateaucal wrote:Well, in all fairness, David did warn me that a Texas cold is not like Colorado cold. You see, we are several thousand feet closer to the sun and it's dry (heat transfer or something). Thirty two degrees down there is freezing, up here it's shorts weather. But I will admit, I always assumed Texan's were a bunch of softies (that's what the other Yankies told me). I am sure you would agree. :D I grew up in Nebraska and hunted when it was so cold that the birds wouldn't fly. It was so cold it took 10 seconds to rack your shotgun. It was so cold that your face felt like you just got back from a trip to the dentist. But that was 40 years ago. Geez, Alaska was more comfortable than Texas, unless you fell into the water.

But it was fun!!!!! Good memories at The Lair.


Sounds like you Yankies are the softies to me........

Re: Engineer's Pass Ascent Oct 12-15, 2020

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:30 pm
by plateaucal
Well if you are a Marine...we are all softies.

Re: Engineer's Pass Ascent Oct 12-15, 2020

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:25 am
by L60Boerne
This near death experience for our mountain man will get replayed. This year is sorta fouled up but may be March 1,2021 some Patrollees can meet there and have a little better weather. Plateaucal caught one of our cold snaps :violin: and it was painful for him but he is a real gamer so he didn't complain much when the first couple of toes feel off. :liar:

Maybe we can look for them next March. Otherwise we could show him what it is like to hunt in the Sahara when you get so thirty you would drink the water out of your tractor tires :confusion-helpsos: but summers are his busy time.

Patrolling over the pandemic,
L60Boerne

Re: Engineer's Pass Ascent Oct 12-15, 2020

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:46 am
by plateaucal
It may be hard to imagine, but as I felt that the last throes of life were draining away, and the light of consciousness dimming, I had to make a fateful decision. How would I want to be remembered? I chose to fight on. As I fired up that 4 liter straight six I knew that I would rather be pried from the steering wheel of a vintage Patrol than have my frozen corpse unceremoniously lowered from a deer stand to the bed of a waiting pickup truck. I braced against the cold breeze from the open topped Nissan and I asked myself...Where the hell is the heater!?

David, you can write about this in the sequel to Hunting Comancheria.

Re: Engineer's Pass Ascent Oct 12-15, 2020

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:21 am
by plateaucal
I forgot the part where I had to suck the blood out of a rattlesnake for energy and fight off a kettle of vultures as the swooped and danced around me.

Re: Engineer's Pass Ascent Oct 12-15, 2020

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:38 am
by jwgreen
plateaucal wrote:I forgot the part where I had to suck the blood out of a rattlesnake for energy and fight off a kettle of vultures as the swooped and danced around me.


Think you guys were hitting the Peyote out there in West Texas!!!! :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Re: Engineer's Pass Ascent Oct 12-15, 2020

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:22 am
by L60Boerne
Oooohhh both of those comments gave me a great smile and laugh. These are ugly times and that was the first good laugh I've had in a while. Plateaucal Hemingway needs no help writing, :clap: he is clearly a natural writer. That is as good as it gets and to think he is remembering all that while his brain was shutting down from either exposure to a little Texas cold snap or whiskey..not sure which.

Nobody believes our tales unless they live them with us. :whistle: That is why I know Hemingway's near epitaph above is accurate! ;)

Patrolling in paradise,
L60Boerne

Re: Engineer's Pass Ascent Oct 12-15, 2020

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:51 am
by plateaucal
Before it was known as Texas, it was often called "The Great State of Hyperbole".

Re: Engineer's Pass Ascent Oct 12-15, 2020

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:00 pm
by L60Boerne
Greetings,
Overland Journal has responded. They are interested in publishing our "loop". I have sent them pictures of Presidio Patrol, CCV5, Phoenix Patrol and El Bondo. I mentioned that Plateaucal's 69 hardtop will likely be there as well....COVID conditions allowing.

We may move it up to the 1st week in October. Better trees and higher likelihood of the loop remaining open.

Anyone else interested in joining us with their Patrol please chime in now. Riders welcome as well.

Patrolling towards publishing,
L60Boerne

Re: Engineer's Pass Ascent Oct 12-15, 2020

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:47 pm
by plateaucal
The first week of October would be awesome and won't conflict with hunting season. Might even catch the tail end of aspens turning.