1967 Family Patrol Project

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby jwgreen » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:20 pm

faux40 wrote:That is exactly the color I want -- Actually, what I want more is that oil filler cap! Not to mention the detail of the painted cap bolts on the chrome washers... very nice touch!

The engine enamel I used was custom mixed for me, I can send you the mix when I get home in a week or so. The Oil Cap I got from New Datsun Parts but you can also get it from Datsun311parts on ebay.
Justin
jwgreen Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby jwgreen » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:47 pm

Got the wife to go dig the can out n take pic. This is what I used.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Justin
jwgreen Offline

Postby faux40 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:04 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much (and thanks to your lovely wife!).

John
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby faux40 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:31 pm

I pulled the trigger -- Motor Power Inc. to the rescue.

I just ordered my engine parts from Motor Power Inc. They seem nice enough and the cost was less expensive that I expected... I hope I didn't just spend $350 for the wrong parts! I followed bosque's post (almost to the letter!) from a couple years ago (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1705)

I'll post part numbers, pics and whether or not they actually fit once they arrive (UPS Ground).

Here's what I ordered:

PartFitsSizeCost
Main BearingsPPUStd.$126.04
Rod BearingsP40Std.$ 45.34
Cam BearingsP40Std.$ 16.20
Overhaul Gasket SetP40$ 72.51
Total
$346.96

-- John
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:20 pm

I gotta say: I am very impressed that you know how to create a table with BBCode. ;) :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby faux40 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:49 pm

They're here! The new phonebooks are here! Finally, I am somebody... Oh, wait, that was an old movie quote... Anyone care to guess? Please, allow me to start over...

They're here! The engine parts are here! The UPS driver just stopped by and left a gift... not as well wrapped as the window rubber was... ;-)

Everything!

A closeup of the bearings

The Main Bearings -- I really hope these fit!

Sparta wanted to call my attention the place of manufacture, because...

The cam bearings were not made in Japan, rather, in that far off, exotic, foreign land known as Australia ;)

Now, let's see what the machinist says about these!
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:54 pm

faux40 wrote:They're here! The new phonebooks are here! Finally, I am somebody... Oh, wait, that was an old movie quote... Anyone care to guess?

The Jerk, Steve Martin. Love that movie, and that line. :D

Congratulations. You're just having a Patrol Christmas in February, aren't you. ;)

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby faux40 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:44 pm

Happy Valentine's Day Patrollers!

Emily, my lovely wife, and I dropped of the parts at the machine shop today... on our way to a nice Valentine lunch at a fantastic local Thai restaurant. Anyway, I got to see our engine all cleaned up and in pieces... it looks really good! The head was indeed in great shape and only needed a simple valve grind to be tip top! It's ready to go back on right now!

I'm still a bit worried about the main bearings -- If I understand it correctly, the "early" P engine has a slightly smaller front main journal on the crank whereas on the "late" engine cranks, all the mains journals are the same size. Our engine is an "early" as it definitely has a smaller front journal. I just wonder if the the bearings we received also have a smaller first bearing... Dave, the machinist, says that the bearings look like they'll fit... but he'll call me if there's any trouble with it. Our engine should come up in his queue next week! We're getting close!

John

P.S. Jay, the youngest family patroller says "HI!" to everyone!
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby sleepyzzz » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:39 am

go man go, and a big hello back to Jay :D
1967 SPL 1600
2013 Nissan Rogue
2001 Nissan Sentra SE R
2010 Nissan Frontier SE V6 burning LP
sleepyzzz Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby faux40 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:43 pm

jwgreen wrote:Search some other posts for more detailed info but Motor Power Inc for most of the new parts. Datsun311parts on eBay for all the seals and gaskets. Both kits are not perfect so there will need to be some finessing with the exact parts. I think I have a list somewhere of the gaskets that were not correct in his kit but its at home and I won't be bk there for another couple weeks. He will send you the correct stuff if you mention it to him. He may have changed his kit as I talked to him extensively about its contents but its better to ask first so that you don't end up having to wait for replacements or just making your own. Hope this helps.

Edit* found the list on my handy dandy iPad!!
Timing Cover
Front Cover
Side Cover
Oil Filter Housing
Thermostat
Valve Cover Nut Gasket
Water Pump Gasket
Front Main Seal

I'm finding that the same gaskets from the Motor Power kit are incorrect as well, plus the rear-main seal is wrong too!

Here's the play-by-play:

The side-cover gasket has this little whoop-de-doo that keeps it from fitting! Dang! Aside from that, I think that it would be fine.

Rear Main Seal - It's too thick to fit into the groove in the block and main cap.

Front Crank Seal -- The ID is way too big and the seal is different (e.g. no metal flange on the front, fewer sealing surfaces, etc.)

Original Front Crank Seal [i]-- Thought you might want to know the part number from my original seal: 1306442100

Front Cover Gasket Surface - Both front cover gaskets provided in the Motor Power kit are wrong -- I'm calling the gasket that would go here the "front cover gasket" -- am I right?

Datsun311Parts Ebay image -- In the image, the side cover gasket is wrong (has the whoop-dee-doo); the front seal looks less beefy than the original; can't tell much about the front cover gasket or the rear main seals though.

I need your help!
So now I'm in a bit of a pinch -- I need to come up with these parts ASAP so the engine can be assembled the rest of the way! Any suggestions on sources or part numbers? I'm sure I could cut the front cover gasket by hand, but I'd prefer to find the right parts so I won't have to continuously add oil to offset the leaks my handiwork caused! ;)

John
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:42 pm

I guess that your crankshaft bearings are the correct ones. So the toughest part is taken care. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Side cover Gasket and Timing Gear (front) cover gasket.
I decided years ago to install these covers without the gaskets and rather use silicone. Perfect, modern way to do. Not a leak. Purists, save your comments. :twisted:

Wick Seal - Crankshaft rear
Can you measure the thickness of the one you have? I can compare that with one that I have from an old set.
The wick seal is suppose to be forced into the grove. I will dig a link on how to proper install it, and post it here.

Seal - Crankshaft front
I guess that the best will be to try to source the correct one, based on the measurements of the old. Try to measure the hole diameter in the cover, as well as the crankshaft diameter.
I'll try to see if I have this seal.

Good luck
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Online

Helping others revive their Patrol…
Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:34 pm

Esteban wrote:I decided years ago to install these covers without the gaskets and rather use silicone. Perfect, modern way to do. Not a leak. Purists, save your comments. :twisted:

I'll save my comments - I know how you love your silicon. :P

I tend to think the rear main is correct. Esteban is right, it is a VERY tight fit. Like squeezing Fat Albert into 32s. And then after that fight the crank might be a little tight to turn until it seats in well.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby mdawg4x4 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:12 pm

Just curious... but is there an engine rebuild kit available from Australia for the 60 series? Would it be compatible with the US 60 series Patrol?
63 Nissan Patrol project, 1967 Nissan Patrol, 2012 Nissan Xterra (daughter's), 2017 Jeep JKUR, 1998 Jeep TJ
mdawg4x4 Offline

Postby jwgreen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:51 pm

Contact the guy on eBay at Datsun311Parts. He has all the correct seals and gaskets from what I remember. He sent me some wrong ones at first but I emailed him and he sent me all the correct ones. Only one I don't think he has is the front main seal. Mine was wrong too but my engine guy found the correct one somewhere but that was a while ago and I don't recall where.
Justin
jwgreen Offline

Postby faux40 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:49 pm

First, the fun news: My machinist -- Dave at Mother's Machine Shop in Sunny Fair Oaks, CA -- is willing to do the final assembly of the long block in front of the entire family patrol! The kids will get to watch an expert put our engine together without the risk of ME doing the assembly! He's a really good guy! (brave too!)

Now for my gasket dilemma...

I just purchased a new set on Ebay from Datsun311Parts late this afternoon so, hopefully that means that we're good to go! Of course, I did have to take a second mortgage to buy the set! OUCH!

Bruce from Datsun311Parts seems like he knows his stuff -- Of course I was fishing for a partial set with just the pieces that I need at a reduced rate... so I would be able to get those new shoes my kids so dearly need! ;)

Anyway, I thought you might be interested in my back & forth with Bruce from Datsun311Parts about the pieces/parts so here it is in its full, mostly-unedited, glory (or perhaps gory) to make it even more fun!:

Subject: Details about item: Nissan Patrol 60 Series Engine Gasket Set #360506393381
Sent Date: Feb-26-14 11:56:53 PST

Dear schluderm,

Hello,

I'm searching for parts for my '67 Nissan Patrol Engine -- My machinist purchased a set but found that several gaskets are incorrect:
- The rear main seal is too thick to fit into the groove
- The timing cover seal has a much larger ID and seems much lighter weight than the original
- The side cover gasket has a whoop-de-doo at one end that keeps it from fitting
- the front cover gasket doesn't fit (the cover between the block and timing gear box (not the timing cover gasket)

Anyway, I'd like to buy your kit but would like to make sure that it will indeed fit correctly. In your picture of the kit on the listing, the side cover shows that same whoop-de-doo (right side of your pic) that's causing my current gasket to not fit... is there a chance that the picture is "generic" and that the side cover gasket will indeed fit?

Anyway, thanks for helping on this and hopefully your gasket set will solve all my problems!

Thanks,

John

Subject: Re: Details about item: Nissan Patrol 60 Series Engine Gasket Set #360506393381
Sent Date: Feb-26-14 12:23:34 PST

Dear balestrini,

Hello John,
You have good eyes. The set shown is an old stock photo some gaskets like the side gasket are different. One in the pic is actually for a P40. The set we ship is for the Patrol. Oval timing cover gasket and flat ends on the side cover gasket. Crank Seal is mm size 50-72-12, the P40 kits will give you a 56-72-12. Fits in the timing cover but is too large inside and is not very deep either. Our kits also ship with the correct umbrella shaped valve stem seals. All of the gaskets we provide are for the Patrol engine.

Thanks
Bruce

- schluderm

Subject: Re: Details about item: Nissan Patrol 60 Series Engine Gasket Set #360506393381
Sent Date: Feb-26-14 14:09:09 PST

Dear schluderm,

Thanks Bruce,

Well then... that explains a bunch! How much of my gasket set (assuming it's a P40) is usable and how much needs replacement? Would you be willing to put together a "fix a dumb mistake" gasket set so I don't end up with too many spares? I'd prefer to only buy what I actually need if you're willing to help me out with a smaller set.

Thanks!

Sent Date: Feb-26-14 14:29:55 PST

Dear balestrini,

Hello John,
There are too many gaskets to piece meal that way From our set you will use:
Timing Cover Gasket
Timing Cover Base Housing Gasket
Water Pump Mounting Gasket
Engine Side Cover Gasket
Carb Mounting Insulator
Valve Stem Seals
Crankshaft Front Mail Seal
Crankshaft Rear Main Seals
Exhaust Collector Gasket

We have 2 sets in stock then we have to find more Lots of the Patrol sets we find the old cork gaskets are aged beyond use so we buy some of the P40 sets and that helps fill in where new old stock items have aged beyond use. That's why I'm familiar with the diff on the P40 and Patrol sets. They are in the store if you need a set. All the best.

Bruce

- schluderm
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Projects