RON JRs NISSAN PATROL CREW CAB UTE

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby Coyote Patrol » Mon May 23, 2016 7:46 pm

Thanks Esteban, i cant wait to see it either. Its taken longer than planed "time and money, thats all it takes"but it will definitely be done this summer. He will have it for his Junior and Senior years in High school. :D
Coyote Patrol Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby Coyote Patrol » Mon May 23, 2016 8:24 pm

Here is the snorkel that we are going to use. Thats my Patrol, i couldnt put it on the truck to take a pic because its all apart. Looks like it will fit nicely, but i would rather it be taller. Im going to try and use some black PVC pipe to raise the snorkel inlet so it will be level with the top of the windshield frame.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coyote Patrol Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue May 24, 2016 7:46 am

Cool. 8-)
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Coyote Patrol » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:36 pm

I have been working on the snorkel. I needed to raise the height of it so i went to my best friends house to find some material, because his father (Norvel) has always salvaged things and i knew he would have something. I found this tube, it measures 3" outside diameter and 2 7/8" inside diameter. PERFECT! I took the top off the snorkel and took a dremel tool to the inside (it needed to be slightly bigger) for the tube to to slide up and down. The tube itself slid perfectly over the bottom piece, all i had to do is glue it on with some ultra black silicone.The only thing left to do is weld a bracket to the tube so i can bolt it to the side of the windshield frame. Tomorrow im hitting the salvage yard in search of a small plastic air cleaner box (Probably out of a small compact car) that will fit inside the fender right below the snorkel. I will g)ue this box together permently and bolt it to the inside of the fender, this way the snorkel will bolt directly through the fender to the box.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coyote Patrol Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:26 pm

Kewl. 8-)
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mattbob53 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:58 pm

Looks cool

Matt
Mattbob53 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Coyote Patrol » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:50 pm

Me and Ron Jr. Went to the salvage yard today. We found a black plastic box out of an 80s toyota pick up (not sure what it is some kind of resonator box for the air cleaner) that looked like it would fit on the inside of the fender. We reinstalled the front clip and mocked up and installed the snorkel. Now we just need to bore a hole in the side of it and install some PVC piping to the engine compartment. :D
Coyote Patrol Offline

Postby Coyote Patrol » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:02 pm

Had some spare time today before i got called to work so i worked on the snorkel some more. It is a little top heavy and the bracket that came with it would need to be bolted to the windshield frame. I dont like that idea, i would have to use self taping screws and i dont want them rattleing loose and causeing problems. I built some brackets for the LED spot light and bolted them to the widshield hinges. The passenger (right) side was now going to be in the way with the snorkel. Is what i decided to do was lengthen the bracket so the spot light will now be in front of the snorkel. I also ended up useing this same bracket as the mount for the snorkel. I will add one more screw through the side of the bracket into the snorkel for good measure. When i get beck from work, im going to make a different set up for the lower mount (throught the fender) because its a lot of work to run these 7" bolts through the snorkel, fender, and box. I have come up with a pretty good solution. I will post pics of that when i finish. :D
Coyote Patrol Offline

Postby Esteban » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:17 pm

Great work Ron!
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Coyote Patrol » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:09 pm

Today i updates the fender mount for the snorkel. I was useing carriage bolts, but it was hard to thread them through all of the holes that they needed to go through. I also didnt like how they looked, just didnt have that finished look to it. So i took 3/8"x16 all thread and bolted the box to the fender. At the top i used threaded couplers that i took to the grinder to make them round. These couplers are 3/8x16 on one end and 1/4x20 on the other end. The 3/8 end screws onto the all thread (to hold the box to the fender) and the 1/4 end is where the snorkel will bolt down. The only thing left now is to take some PVC pipe and connect the snorkel box to the air cleaner box.
Coyote Patrol Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Projects