Tire and Wheel Help: Let me know what you are running

DIYs, FAQs and anything else that doesn't fit in another topic

Postby zed » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:29 pm

Not to make this post too long winded;
The shop who I trust for tire installs told me that the narrow diameter of the rim precludes mounting too many stick-on weights on the center.
The clip-on weights depicted in the photo above (from RiverPatrol) spread out the weight along an area that exceeds the point of counter balancing weight, thereby not solving the balancing issue.
I was told there are two viable options (other than not using the tire)
1) Weld weight to the rim to counter balance the weight problem. (I do not consider this a good option since the welded weigh would only be appropriate for the tire in question.)
2) Shave the tire to attempt to balance.

TreadWright website states " At TreadWright we pre static balance all our Light Truck tires (the 19.5" rim diameter sizes are excluded from this) to below 3 oz here at the factory prior to the molding process". Since the tire in questions was test mounted on three rims, and could not be balances with less than 18 oz of weight (other tires were successfully balanced) it appears that the tire is defective and needs to be replaced.

I have contacted Treadwright and await their solution.
Keith
1969 Patrol L60
1965 Patrol L60 (parts provider)
1966 PL520
1970 240Z
1990 300ZX (sold 10/04/13)
zed Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby zed » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:50 pm

Update; I received the replacement TreadWright tire. In the next few weeks I'll take it to the tire shop for mounting and balancing. If all goes well, then I have five (5) matched tires.
1969 Patrol L60
1966 PL520
1970 240Z
zed Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Patrollees, I'm learning the Patrol. But I've been off-roading for 40 years. You MUST NOT put your tire in a place it is not designed to go. For our patrols sidewalls are the most critical design points.

Pro Comp - I've run 35" Pro Comps for ten years, they are awful. After I was set up on them I had to keep replacing them or toss three new ones and re-tire with good tire. Their sidewalls are super thin and their tread surfaces are defeated by thorns and sharp rocks. I think they would be good for sand and smoothly rounded granite outcrops like found in Moab. I expected a sidewall puncture every time I went out in my 84 Jimmy. Actually dumped the Jimmy rather than re-tire it.

BFG A-T TA KO2- Awesome, we run them as if they were bulldozer tracks. I have no fear going anywhere. However, they are poor on mud. 3 ply sidewalls, if they puncture it is a very slow leak that can be plugged or just fixed the next time we are in town. Never have had a sidewall puncture in ten years in W TX.

Cooper STT Pro - Totally forced BFG to provide 3 sidewall plys. Excellent on all surfaces and the equal to BFG A-T TA KO2 but with 25% less life.

Retreads - used them in college on my Turbo Diesel Scout II, rated the Best Ever 4 x 4 ....but I beg to differ,...way under powered...but the retreads were just cheap tires. I had no blow-outs but they didn't last very long either. Just cheap tires that always kept me on edge when on the highway.

Chinese Tires - They dominate the market in Africa. Mainly be cause they are cheaper and available but they are durable too. Off roading friends in Texas really believe in the Maxxis brand. I have no first hand experience but will soon.

Tires for my Patrols

Presidio Patrol will get the Chinese Buckshot Mudders because the selection is not entirely mine and I have a second Patrol that I will drive most of the time. My #1 Patrol - CCV5 will either wear the Cooper STT Pros or BFG Mud Terrains. Both selection based on sidewall protection.

Don't forget, any puncture on the tread can be fixed in the field, a punctured sidewall is a total loss. The greasewood out in W TX breaks like punji spears when run over. We select tires with straight and thick sidewalls. The same straight sidewalls work well on sharp rocks too.

Last Point on Tires - 2 years ago I hunted one of the most barren areas in Africa, far SE Namibia in the Klein Karas Mtns and Zukous River Canyon with Johan Strauss. Johan is the most famous Land Rover mechanic in Africa. He is flown by Land Rover (or whoever owns them at the time) every year to Europe for high priced driving and maintenance seminars in UK and Germany. He is an off road legend. He navigated side hills turns that I would have bet my safari rifle we not possible. Anyway, pictures to follow, when I change computers. He drove nothing but bold tires. Tires with only bias ply cords showing. No rubber showing except between the cords. he said they lasted for years and his rock canyons offered sharp rocks like our chert and flint. He said the rubber lug pattern only served to orient the rocks spears so they would puncture the tire. Without any tread the rock just slides off. Now, you might not forget...these tires never see payment. His Steinfeld Farm hunt is outlined in my book Hunting Namibia.

All Patrols, All the Time,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby L60Boerne » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:14 pm

As promised, here is the picture of Johan Strauss's 1967 Land Rover with bias ply cord tires.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
L60Boerne Offline

Postby mdawg4x4 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:40 am

I went with the bias ply P78-16 Buckshots for my 67. I've only had 1 day to work on it since the beginning of May, so cannot comment on performance. Salesman did mention they are not highway friendly, as in they don't balance well.
Bought them from our local Gateway tire store. Word is they developed the tire for the delta farmers but sold the molds when the demand got too low to be profitable. People around here still likes the tire.

63 Nissan Patrol project, 1967 Nissan Patrol, 2012 Nissan Xterra (daughter's), 2017 Jeep JKUR, 1998 Jeep TJ
mdawg4x4 Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:10 am

2869ral is helping us make sure our 30" x 9.5" wide tires do not rub at max travel. We are still working out the suspension but inches mater.

Presidio Patrol will operate on 15" rims and 2" leaf spring lift.....not final yet, might need shackles too.

CCV5 will run on 31" x 9.25" wide BFG All Terrains on 16" rims. New Alcan leaf springs will provide 1" lift but that is not enough. 2896ral now looking to fabricate some shackles adding another 1.5" of lift. Hopefully that will be enough.

None of this is final...but it will be by Friday.
L60Boerne Offline

Postby Dave60 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:00 pm

I have a 69 Patrol with the original 16" split rim wheels on it. I would like to replace them with non split rims. My question is will any other manufactures wheels fit ( Ford GM Dodge ect.)
Thanks for the info and they are 15" wheels I don't know why if put 16" in the post
Dave60 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby zed » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:27 pm

Dave,
The prior owner of my 1969 Patrol mounted 1992-2000 Chevy Tahoe 9593334 (16'' x 7'', 6 x 5.5 Bolt Pattern) wheels. He had to bore the center of the front wheels to accommodate the Patrol hubs.

I believe you can also mount Nissan Titan 15x6x5.5, 1993-1998 Toyota T100 steel, 15”x6” 5.5 bolt or Toyota FJ 40 wheels.

Keith

P.S. I believe the 1969 Patrol had a 15" split ring (rim) wheel as original equipment. The 16" split ring (rim) wheel was from an earlier model year.
1969 Patrol L60
1966 PL520
1970 240Z
zed Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:36 am

Keith,
Merry Christmas.
It was my experience that 16" rims require a 2" lift if BFG Mud Terrain used for (CCV5), which I thought were the best possible tires for my use. There are a number bias ply tires that may work without a lift. Presidio Patrol (CCV4) uses 15" rims and Cooper makes an excellent tire that does not require a lift.

This thread started off with a link to Procomp tires. My experience with Procomp tires was terrible. They are fake off road tires in my opinion. The 36" tires i ran on CCV1 for ten years punctured frequently with 90% of the punctures in the sidewall.Your selection my have more plies or maybe they have improved? CCV1 was used to rock climb on non professional trails while hunting and just about anything encountered other than flat asphalt were threatening.

Patrolling to paradise,
L60Boerne
L60Boerne Offline

Postby dustin3n » Wed May 02, 2018 10:38 pm

Need to replace my BFG AT's soon and I'm thinking of getting the Ironman tires. Just curious here if anyone has personal experience with this tire brand. If they are not worth buying, my second option is the Cooper STT pro.
dustin3n Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….
So, I just bought this Patrol….

PreviousNext

Return to General Tech