What have you done to your 60 Series Patrol this week....

If it doesn't fit in the others but is 60 series related, post it up.

Postby chester3 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Thanks!! Ya my wife thought she was being divorced by a patrol! But she was trooper we moved to El Paso from Michigan for a work transfer so we are both very bored down here and this is what kept us busy for the past few months. I just picked up a rust free 74 rust free CJ5 that I plan to start on next. It has a stock 304 this will be my dune cruiser and the patrol will be our pavement princess!!!
chester3 Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby Peter60 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:49 am

The 4WD club I belong to had a 4WD event a couple of weeks back. Part of the event was a 4WD test track. Dealers provided 4WD with members of the club driving members of the public around.

the track has some interesting slopes and a fairly steep mound. It took 680 tonnes of soil to make the track.

Anyway I drove my 4WD around - and of course it was a G60.

The front wheel is actually off the ground by about a meter.

2018 Test Track 1 (Medium).jpg

Notice the old series 1 Land Rover in the background, coming down the slope.

2018 Test Track 2 (Medium).jpg

All good fun :D

The G60 is original. Previous owner had it since new. And this one really does have 50,000 kms on the clock and is in pretty good condition. 7.5 x 16 wheels. Unfortunately the soft top need a bit of a repair job and the paint work needs some surface rust attended to plus a good polish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not sure if I will get there.
Not sure if I will get back.
But I usually do!!!
Peter60 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:18 am

Looks like fun! Thanks for sharing. :D
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Bluey » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:42 am

Very nice mate! good to see the ol' girl out and about for people to admire (:
Patrols - Pulling Toyota's from bogs since 1951.
Bluey Offline

Postby dustin3n » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:49 am

Installed a new fuel pump and passenger's side window regulator.
dustin3n Offline

Postby Peter60 » Mon May 21, 2018 2:02 am

Well, I went for a bit of a drive around town in Patrol #2. I filled the Patrol up with petrol along with a few gerry cans.
Heading home down a main street. The bang - the Patrol stopped.

of course right in the middle of an intersection!

breakdown.JPG

Also it was just outside the Police HQ. A few came out and investigated just to make sure I was behaving myself.

I thought the gearbox or clutch had gone, so I got towed home.

I had a little look at it today. I think the problem is in the rear diff or I broke an axle. There is a small amount of oil coming out on the inside of the left side rear wheel. Maybe a bearing???

I put it in 4WD and hoped I may be able to move it a bit but no luck. It sounds like a rear wheel is spinning (but it isn't).

Any ideas? Diff, Axle or ????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not sure if I will get there.
Not sure if I will get back.
But I usually do!!!
Peter60 Offline

Postby Esteban » Mon May 21, 2018 7:13 am

Peter60 wrote:Well, I went for a bit of a drive around town in Patrol #2. I filled the Patrol up with petrol along with a few gerry cans.
Heading home down a main street. The bang - the Patrol stopped.

...I had a little look at it today. I think the problem is in the rear diff or I broke an axle. There is a small amount of oil coming out on the inside of the left side rear wheel. Maybe a bearing???

I put it in 4WD and hoped I may be able to move it a bit but no luck. It sounds like a rear wheel is spinning (but it isn't).

Any ideas? Diff, Axle or ????

Sorry to hear about this mishap. You might have to raise the rear axle on jacks to do more troubleshooting. Looks like an axle broke, but in that case you'll be able to move the Patrol while in 4WD. I hope it's not the rear differential that seized and due to that caused an axle to brake. Only with a rear diff seized, you won't be able to move it not even in 4WD.

A seized differential happened to my brother once. He had a minor oil leak that went unattended until it ran dry. He was going on the highway at 40 mph (60Km/h) and the Patrol stopped leaving a long tire marks on the pavement. The axles didn't brake. The pinion and its bearings were a solid mess.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Toads Patrol » Mon May 21, 2018 8:58 am

Maryland terror drive - rain included

So I picked up the Patrol from the upholstery shop and started home, an hr drive across rural central Maryland. There is not a single straight road in MD, I had Debbie wazing and calling out the turns, beautiful scenery no traffic. What could possibly go wrong?
Well it started to rain, hard. Wipers on. Surprisingly, after the 50yr old grease in the elec motors warmed up they did a fairly credible job. Then it died. Emergency pull over into a yard. In the 38 years I’ve owned the vehicle it’s never ever let me down. So I’m panicking. Fuel in glass filter bowl, pumps working (you can see the bellows in the fuel bowl go up and down when cranking). After 10 min or so it starts, don’t ask why- proceed and we make it a few more miles - repeat. Anyways it’s raining so hard that water is coming in through every crack in the vehicle. After several iterations on this, it dies at every intersection and turn, we make it to the driveway and it quits terminally, halfway in the street halfway up the driveway. It’s dead, Jim. Well it got me home.
I’m pretty sure it’s the coil. The shop, not used to old tech must have left the ignition on and it cooked the old original coil. RP set me up with a pertronix sensor that I installed some time back so I ordered a new pertronix coil. For good measure I got nos plug wires from the forklift outfit. We’ll se if that fixes it.
Moving to Abilene TX this year, goodbye to rain and country roads, pardner.
Mr. Toad: A motorcar! Gad... what have I been missing? (Wind in the Willows)
67 L60 Hardtop (since 1982)
68 SRL311 (2000 Solex, since 1974)
91 Figaro

Sordid past: 69 SRL311, 69 L521 (KIA), 70 B110, 72 240Z, 72 510 Wagon, 80 720 (KIA), 87 Stanza (KIA), 88 D21, 05 350Z, 10 Versa (KIA - totaled)
Toads Patrol Offline

Postby Esteban » Mon May 21, 2018 9:11 am

Too bad you have to endure this under the miserable weather, Harry! Hope you solve the problems.

Don't forget to let us know about the repairs.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon May 21, 2018 9:49 am

Wow, two unfortunate posts together. Very frustrating

Peter60 - -the old leak at the left rear wheel may actually be a wheel cylinder leaking. Just a thought. Hope you get this sorted out without too much trouble. I don't know that I have heard of too many of the H260 rear axles breaking or grenading, but of course anything is possible. Let us know what you find.

Harry - No need to get a Pertronix coil. It could actually cause more problems. Even with the Pertronix ignition the Patrol ignition system doesn't need a hotter spark. I think someone recently was experiencing this very issue. All you should need is a standard 12v coil.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics