Post Hurricane IRMA brake and body work!

If it doesn't fit in the others but is 60 series related, post it up.

Postby richw » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:59 am

IMG_0873.jpg
IMG_0757.jpg
Progress in the BVI!
On the house front a new purple heart roof is sat nicely on new super strong cast columns and ring beam.
Even Irma's ugly sister will not be taking this roof, there is rebar cast through every beam.

At last I have a few days to work on the Patrol.
Since hurricane Irma she has been under wraps minus the soft top which blew off!
New canvas is on the way from 'Old Grouch' military surplus...but for now it is time for a brake service.
I got new shoes and cylinders from Aussie e-bay with no bother at all.
I really only needed new rubber wheel cylinder seals on the front but they are tough to find eh?

With only 55 K (Km) on the clock I found all the drums in great condition, a good start!
Getting into tomorrow so pics to follow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
richw Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby mad4hws » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:02 am

Nice progress!
mad4hws Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:39 am

Nice to see that you've got some time to give the Patrol some love, and that you now have a roof to withstand the rest of the family.

Brakes are always seem to need attention on a Patrol. Yes, replacing the whole cylinder is about the only way to go anymore; individual rubber parts are so scarce to find. But then she should be good to go for a while. Thanks for the update, and pictures!
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby richw » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:11 am

IMG_0885.jpg
IMG_0888.jpg
IMG_0887.jpg
IMG_0890.jpg
IMG_0872.jpg
IMG_0883.jpg
OK, a productive afternoon yesterday.
Changing out the front brake cylinders is actually a very enjoyable job, the last time I did this was 25 yrs ago on my old 'more wood than metal' patrol.
If I was to pass on one tip it would be to hold the bare cylinder minus both studs for the top, just fit one for the sides...and fit the brake pipe first. It's so much easier to get the thread started with a 'loose' cylinder. If the pipe is not alligned perfectly it can be a real pain getting the threads started once the cylinder is bolted in place. You need the one stud for the side one because access is challenging to fit it later.

Happily the rear brakes were in such good condition I just cleaned them up. I left the old shoes on the front too, plenty of meat left on them.

So, onto the carb. Can anyone identify the make?
Once I took this off the first ting I checked was the accelerator pump. Wow, that thing shoots a stream of petrol down the intake like a water pistol!
I've never been impressed with the performance of PV382 compared my Patrols of old. I'm sure my Y60 with the same P60 engine had a stock twin barrel carb?
One reason for poor performance could be the perished base gasket, see picture.
There's that notch! Should I be making a flat gasket with no cutouts in it?
The old gasket was so bad it's hard to tell how it was looking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
richw Offline

Postby Esteban » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:28 am

Your Patrol is a beauty!

Good tips about the wheel cylinders installation.

Regarding the carburetor, it's a Hitachi VHA. Your's is the model fitted after Jan-74 (it's in the 1980 Parts Manual). From your pictures it looks like the bakelite insulator at the base (looks like a gasket spacer) is missing. With this type of carburetor, from what I remember, you don't need to make the notch in the gasket, since there's a opening at the base of the carb.

I used to have a 74, but with the previous version of the VHA, without the solenoid or the vacuum solenoid. One additional difference with your setup is the carburetor base at the manifold. First time that I see that. I was never impressed with this carb, and the plastic cam at the linkage always wears to the point of creating a flat spot during acceleration.

Interesting to see that in the Parts Manual, what you have will correspond to models aimed for Switzerland. Does your air filter is with a paper element inside or is the oil-bath type? Please post some pictures when you have a chance.

Also, after reviewing your older pictures from 2016, the remote brake booster seems to be gone. Was that connected to the clutch maybe? That's something I wanted to try with my 74 at one time.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby richw » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:58 am

IMG_0901.jpg
IMG_0905.jpg
IMG_0900.jpg
IMG_0899.jpg
IMG_0898.jpg
IMG_0902.jpg
OK, another busy afternoon.
The brakes are done, bled and adjusted.
Because she has been off the road for nearly a year I decided to check all the lights ready for the vehicle inspection.
A real can of worms!
I started by pulling all the multiblock connectors apart looking for trouble and spraying them with 'Corrosion X'.
I didn't find anything terrible, still no lights.
Next to the fuse box, cycle all the terminals, check fuses, replace one.
Still no lights.
The floor high beam switch has alwyas been dodgy, I pull that out and find the switch action is not very convincing.
By connecting the high and low beam feeds directly to the supply minus the switch...on come the lights!
One floor switch needed!
(any ideas?)

I decide to pull all the lens covers off to check all the minor bulbs front and back.
Check out the 'IRMA'ed' rear lenses!
Our house was wiped out by a twister within the eye wall of Irma.
Winds gusts were in excess of 260mph.
Debris was blasted past this rubber seal into the lens at about the same time as our roof was being completely ripped off and concrete walls were flattened!
Crazy eh?

Does anyone know why they used a twin contact bulb for the front side light when only one wire feeds the fitting?

I had to make a couple of gaskets to get the carb sorted.
That's back on and working, thanks Esteban for identifying it!
You asked about the clutch servo, initially I thought this was a seconray brake servo but I was wrong.
It is indeed a clutch servo, it looks like it grew there, a very nice addition.
The one downfall is hat slave cylinder rubbers don't last long
'The candle that glows twice as bright lasts half as long'.
I'll replace the seals in exchange for having a light clutch!
I have found that NAPA brake cylinder seals for a mini moke fit the clutch slave cylinder, the bonus is that you get two in a box and they are only $5.
(when is someone going to find front wheel brake clyinder seals by accident?)

Slowly getting there!
richw Offline

Postby Esteban » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:42 am

Thanks for posting all those pictures. A lot to comment since your Patrol is unique in some details. However, what has shocked me is the incredible effect of Irma's wind on places like inside the rear lamps. :shock: :shock: No wonder the extensive damage to the island. Hope everything is coming back in track.

Great tip about the seals for the clutch slave cylinder. It must be included in the compatible parts section.

Regarding the floor headlight dimmer switch, a quick search gave me a lot of alternatives. For sure you'll have to install a connector for it. A parts store should have one similar to this one:

www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D808-Professiona ... B000C9QXKA

The pictures and your description of the clutch servo are great. I can just imagine that soft clutch pedal in action. Now you're only missing the power steering! :twisted: Years ago I had my 65 with a similar servo, actually a Bendix Hydrovac installed in the single brake system, and over the years wondered how it will feel installed in the hydraulic clutch of later Patrols. You've answered all the questions. Whoever did that setup did a neat work.

The wheel brake cylinder seals can still be sourced. The reference I have is Seiken SC4518R. They are 1 inch in diameter.

The setup for the air filter housing and the spacer for the carburetor are definitely unique. I'm sure many of us are asking the question if our oil-bath type canisters can be replaced with the same paper element that you have although the housing looks slightly different. If you can measure the filter it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby richw » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:32 pm

IMG_4387.jpg
IMG_4378.jpg
IMG_4379.jpg
One year on, here we go again!
richw Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:43 am

Looks like some significant work being done!
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby richw » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:42 pm

IMG_4472.jpg
IMG_4469.jpg
IMG_4466.jpg
IMG_4450.jpg
IMG_4434.jpg
IMG_4396.jpg
Onwards I go.
It's hard to believe but there's a tropical wave off the Cape Verde islands that threatens us next week.

I hope that does not come to pass!
So, I have decided to attend to all things originally painted blue.
That means front wings are off and just about anything else in the way of getting a honest coat of paint on all the blue.

I'm learning more about the vehicle as I stripped it down.
Mr. Japanese original owner must have been an engineer. Any nut that would be an issue if loose has a splodge of yellow paint on it.
The clutch servo installation was almost like he worked with factory access, the clamps and the general installation looked like it had 'grown there'.
He was a 4WD buff because the stickers were still on the tailgate from annual meets.
I'm convinced it must have spent 99% of it's life in a garage, there is no rot.
Judging from the ashtray I think he must have died from the effects of smoking, leaving a family who had no interest in the vehicle and so it ended up in an auction house.
That's after a quick spray job and underseal liberally applied in thick sheets.

I have a new master cylinder on order and clutch slave and master in hand to fit.
There's a week long BVI holiday coming up, I have all the materials ready...I just need the storms to stay away.
here's a few pics.
richw Offline

Next

Return to General Topics