Beijing Motors BJ2020 Coming to Texas

Topics for any and all other vehicles whether you just want to share or if you are in need of advice.

Postby L60Boerne » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:02 pm

Greetings from the rotten rice bowl,
This week we are dropping the fuel tank and inserting some highly recommended fuel pump from Jegs.....then running the fuel lines into/though either a PVC or steel tube to protect them from under carriage debris that I plan to run over like a pitbull on a kindergartner.
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby L60Boerne » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:21 am

Just want to say we installed the electric "in tank" fuel pump last week from Tanks Inc., model PA for $205.00. The company supplied an excellent video that even the mechanics around here could not screw up. It works great and no noise.

I gained a $2,000 education on fuel pump and tank systems through this particular fiasco. I'm sure all you guys already knew this stuff.

First, tanks designed for mechanical fuel pumps have flat bottoms...no sumps. Mechanical pumps draw or suck fuel from the tank.
Second, those cheap after market electric inline fuel pumps must be gravity fed. Which requires:
- that the fuel tank needs to be modified to include a sump for times when your fuel level is low or you are climbing hills
- Patrols, BJ2020s, as well as most off road vehicles, provide a much needed skid tank under the gas tank which prevents the addition of a sump
- the electric inline (external) fuel pump must be located below the lowest elevation of the fuel tank which exposes them and the lines to debris snagging
- are loud, the more expensive, the louder. The $150 Holley literally required hearing protection, I kid you not.
Third, the Tanks Inc, PA "in tank" electric fuel pump solved all those problems and work with a flat bottom tank while providing their own "in tank" small sump. It does require a slight bit of tank modification/fabrication and I'd figure $800-$900 for parts and labor, though the video provided would easily guide most of you to the promised land with your own expertise. The help desk guys at Tanks Inc were excellent.

Patrolling with a bottle of rice wine under the seat,
L60Boerne
L60Boerne Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:01 pm

Patrol Builders Worldwide,

The Chicom continues to have one big problem, we created for ourselves during the build. We put in too big a motor which left too little room for an adequate radiator for prolonged crawling. The set up is fine at 7 MPH and up but we hunt with it at about 3-5 MPH. Since it was released for field use we have added a third pulling fan to the existing two pushing fans, low temp thermostat and drill six 1" holes on either side of the hood to vent trapped heat. no change to the low speed operational temp ranging from 210-225 degrees F.

The motor is a 4.3L v6 with throttle body injection.

Preceding pictures clearly show the radiator etc during the build.

I'm asking for worldwide ideas because our Australian friends show up with all kinds of ways to prevent their rigs from overheating.

My next idea is a second radiator in front of the existing one. The plan would be to cut and pull the brush guard forward then mount the second radiator between the brush guard and existing grill.

We also have a couple of bilge fans ready to go to further help trapped heat out from under the hood but haven't put those on yet.

Daniel, the builder said he thinks adding a better propeller on the water pump will circulate the water faster.

I'm all ears on all your thoughts.

Patrolling too fast,
L60Boerne
L60Boerne Offline

Postby 50car » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:38 pm

May try removing the thermostat. Replace it with a solid plate with a small hole drilled in it. The goal will be to slow the water through the radiator to allow the fans to reduce the temp of the coolant. Might try a 3/8 to 1/2 inch hole and then increase hole size until the temps remain acceptable. Another option would be to install a larger pulley on the water pump to slow it down. When you are creeping along, your rpms are probably at normal running range with no it minimal air flow.
Another trick is to add some water setter to the system. Usually good for about 10-20 degrees(F) in my experiences.
Jeff
50Car
50car Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby L60Boerne » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:18 am

Thanks Jeff, Please explain the water setter....what is water setter? Also, any thoughts on the two stage radiator? Interesting ..slow the water so it has time to cool.

I was wondering if we could get one of those computers that throttles the cylinders in operation to the duty, maybe with it it would turn off three cylinders when they were not needed. I recall GM had that going for a while in their V8s.

Patrolling with purpose,
L60Boerne
L60Boerne Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:18 am

L60Boerne wrote:I was wondering if we could get one of those computers that throttles the cylinders in operation to the duty, maybe with it it would turn off three cylinders when they were not needed. I recall GM had that going for a while in their V8s.

Patrolling with purpose,
L60Boerne

Probably not a good idea. The GM V8s that utilized this only shut down cylinder when at cruising speed, that way you wouldn't notice the loss. Not something that you're going got want to experience at 3 - 5 MPH.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby r1lark » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:09 pm

L60Boerne wrote:Please explain the water setter....what is water setter? L60Boerne

I believe that Jeff meant water wetter. It helps the heat transfer, several manufacturers. Here is the Redline water wetter: https://www.autozone.com/antifreeze-radiator-additives-and-windshield-wash-fluid/radiator-additives-and-flush/red-line-oil-waterwetter-super-coolant/486218_0_0

Good to see some more posts on this interesting little machine! I was thinking about it the other day, that there had not been any posts on it lately.
Paul
r1lark Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:54 pm

Thanks Paul, it has two very good fearures like the Patrol. Both have fold down front windshields and no "tub" above the rocker panel. It is so nice to not have to lift your legs over the 6" of tub above a Jeep rocker panel!

I know where a BJ w/o motor is in Utah if anyone is interested. There is a US parts source in Utah too.

Patrolling in need, as usual,
L60Boerne
L60Boerne Offline

Postby 50car » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:18 pm

Yes I did mean water wetter. I was auto corrected. Not sure on the two stage radiator. Hope you get it figured out.
Jeff
50Car
50car Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:50 am

Jeff & Paul,

I read up on the water wetter goo. Water Wetter to the rescue! I can't want to see how it works. Thank you so much!

I knew, with the experience on this forum, a new approach for my rice boiler would quickly surface.

Thank you very much,
L60Boerne
L60Boerne Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Other Vehicles