Minion Missile - 1973 Colombian Patrol Project

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby RiverPatrol » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:04 am

Highly NOT recommended to use synthetic in a Patrol!
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby mad4hws » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:48 am

Yesterday I harvested the gear set out of the front axle:

These are on their way to Rafael in San Antonio. While I spent most of the day getting to these. Since I will not be re-using the axle, it seemed like time wasted at first to get to these, but it was not all time lost. It gave me a chance to get the front of my Patrol ready for when the axle assembly comes in. The sway bar and drag link are removed. The front diff is disconnected from the front drive shaft. With many of these parts out of the way, i also need to hunt down some hardware. My travel limiters all need to be replaced, along with the bushings. The front drive shaft was connected to the differential with bolts that are not hardened. Thinking I need to use #8 hardened bolts throughout, but maybe not. When taking off the sway bars, I broke off some bolts in the housing - i don't think that would have happened if they were hardened.

I also found some more Colombian welding that needs to be assessed. This time it is more structural. I will post a picture later, but the bracket that secures the front spring to the frame looks like it has an extra plate added. I think this is just on one side, so when I take it to get new springs and shackles, will have this looked at more carefully.
mad4hws Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby mad4hws » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:19 pm

So, the Minion Missile looks like a mess. it has been up on Jack stands for several weeks now. I thought going into this that i might have 2 sets of axles once i was done.
However, as it turns out I think between the two sets I will have one really good and complete set. I have had to harvest quite a few parts off of the existing axles to send to Rafael as he rebuilds those from the '67 chassis. Those that I didn't send to him, I have wrapped up and packed away as spares. The end result is that the Minion Missile looks to be in pretty dire straits as it currently sits

Not to worry though. help is on the way. A picture from Rafael today of one of my steering knuckles, completely rebuilt:6020

The Minion Missile should be back on the road and better than new soon. So, in preparation for the axle transplant that is coming soon, I need to prepare all of the other components. All of my travel limiters need some help. Anyone have recommendations on replacement bushings?
mad4hws Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:41 pm

Looks like a regular old project to me! :lol: You can use standard shock bushings on the limiters.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:42 pm

I used the following sway bar links on mine, that I purchased at the parts store:

https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/9.8163
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby mad4hws » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:33 am

Thanks Esteban. I placed my order for suspension bushings from Energy Suspension. I was planning on cleaning up the bolts and metal sleeves, but this looks like a better option, so I'm going to order them up. Do you know if they have longer bolts for the rear sway bar? I also ordered my ubolts from Dsuban. Most everything should be here by this weekend. My newly rebuilt axles will probably arrive the following weekend. I plan to enlist the help of Minion #1 and Minion #2 who will both be home for Thanksgiving to help with the replacement.

Once I get the axles installed and have a rolling chassis again, I plan to take the Minion Missile to the spring shop an see what maintenance needs to be done to them. At a minimum, they will need new shackles. Not sure if there are any broken springs there and the way this thing was set-up, the shocks really weren't doing what shocks need to do, so that probably added more fatigue to the springs. Thinking about adding 2" lift with the springs.. not committed yet, just thinking about it.

I also took off both drive shafts and am going to take them to get rebalanced. On the rear drive shaft, there is evidence that the PO used his more than exceptional welding skills (being facetious). Not sure what the driveline shop will say about that. When I took off the rear drive shaft, noticed that the rear seal in the transmission is leaking more than a little. My parking brake assembly is soaked in transmission oil. So, I will also need to take it back tot he transmission shop to get that taken care of.

I also ventured out to a machine shop to get my brake drums turned. I didn't know if they were good or bad - but the machinist said they were significantly out of round and he almost couldn't salvage them.. but, he did so I am thankful.

More later.
mad4hws Offline

Postby Esteban » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:13 am

mad4hws wrote:...Do you know if they have longer bolts for the rear sway bar? ...

They do have longer ones. I can't recall which ones I used in the rear, since I bought them at Advance Auto Parts and I have not taken note of them.

I'm having second thoughts about the one in the previous link that I posted. Sorry, it could have been just a generic one to keep track of the site :oops: :oops: (it's for up to 3-7/8")

Checking their website a few moments ago, they have a number of options. If you go to the following link for one of them, and scroll towards the bottom, they have universal sway bar links from 2.55" to 6"

https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/9.8124

Please note that I don't have any lift on mine and it's possible that under a big articulation might touch the axle jacket. The following is a picture of the link installed on one side:

Rear Sway Bar Link - Energy Suspension.jpg

Good tip about Dsuban Spring and Service. Bookmarked already.

Regarding the drive shafts, it's probably a good idea to change the u-joints if you haven't done already. The place you're taking them might help with that in the process, since they probably have to take them apart.

The output shaft seal at the transfer case can be changed from the outside. I have the following reference:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AVX-Shaft-Oil- ... 5d60384466
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby mad4hws » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:00 pm

Thanks Esteban. Your expertise and reference picture are very much appreciated.
mad4hws Offline

Postby mad4hws » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:01 am

The wednesday before Thanksgiving, the box front San Antonio returned with two freshly rebuilt axles. After some uncrating, they looked just like new:

Had Minion #1 home from Detroit for the weekend, so he helped pull the old front axle and put the new one on:

We only managed to get the axle installed with the new Ubolts. Nothing is connected at this time - brakes, steering, shocks, driveshafts. That all has to be done. I have to say though, it's nice not having the old girl sitting on jack stands anymore though!

Speaking of driveshafts. since they were disconnected, I decided to take them in for re-balancing. Turns out they were completely shot. splines were stripped and the guy wondered how it actually drove when it did drive. So... long story short, she's getting new driveshafts made up too. Once this is all assembled, the whole driveline - transmission, axles, driveshafts, will have all been gone through and/or replaced, so I will have much more confidence on the road. the only thing that will not have been gone through is the engine. I don't think I need to do that just yet.
mad4hws Offline

Postby Esteban » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:25 am

They look great, and looks like the turnaround was good. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Too bad about the driveshafts' condition. Hope you solve that soon.
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

PreviousNext

Return to Projects