Cadflat Bead Roller Project.

Got rust? Seats, panels, doors, windows, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Body & Interior' category are here.

Postby Oddbod » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:04 am

I saw a post somewhere where a guy had added a bridging to basically shorten the throat depth by bolting a piece of metal between the top and lower arms of his bead roller.

I will incorporate this idea into my build to half the throat depth.
Attached is a pic of that principle I found posted on the internet.

I will be adding some bracing to the side of my two plates to help prevent that walking effect that can occur with deep throat machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GQ8Ujaq7MY

The more that you learn, the more your realise that you don't know...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:24 am

Eager to see this in action. This build is fun to watch. :D
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Oddbod » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:52 pm

I found in my local scrap yard, some off cut pieces of 4" x 2" heavy wall RHS steel tube about the right length to act as additional strengthening to my upper and lower plate arms.

I decided, that I will split the RHS long ways and get two "U" shaped channels that will be roughly 4" x 1" and I will weld them to the side of my plate arms, plus a vertical piece over the welded plate joint at the chain drive end of the bead roller to complete the "C" shape of the unit body.

My current dilemma is choosing a work height that I need to shoot for when making my pedestal.

I don't own the best back in the world and figure slightly higher maybe best for starters.
Should this not be to my liking, I figure I can always cut the pedestal post down a little to try and achieve the best work height for my requirements...

With all the metal involved in this project and my fragile back, I decided to fabricate a plate lifting clamp.
I copied it from You Tube and it does work good.

What with the 1" thick steel base table that I've welding on and then the weight of the actual 1/2" thick bead roller body thing are getting a little too heavy for my liking and since I have the ability to fabricate stuff, I figured this would be the time to do it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:25 am

I started sorting out some scrap metal to see what will work for a pedestal.
I had a piece of scrap I beam, part of an old basketball post and also part of an old Ford banjo diff that looked interesting.

I found some old cast wheels that may come in handy for mobility since it starting to look kind of heavy now.

Here is what I came up with...

Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:09 pm

My work height is still a big question mark for and will remain so until I get this unit finished and working so that I can determine how I want to position myself during its operation.

Since I have only ever used a bead roller once many years ago in a factory for a home job and I recall it was quite low, which my back would not like these days.

I recall reading some discussion on a forum, where die/roller run-on was discussed regarding using AC powered bead rollers.
I am beginning to think it is a non issue as running my motor on the bench, as soon as the power is turned OFF the sprocket stops almost immediately.
Even if that does not turn out to be the case in reality, I am figuring with a item in the machine that load resistance should be enough to stop the rolling motion pretty darn quick.

Project progress wise, my next step was to mount the motor and reduction box.
I have no sense of how the center of gravity is going to work out here but lets just see where we end up for balance.
I made a sleeve to support the motor that can slide up and down the pedestal post which will hopefully provide me with chain adjustment later.

Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:47 pm

A bit more progress on the pedestal which seems to be coming together to my satisfaction.

It is looking like my progress maybe slowed down now, since I need to acquire some extra sprockets to reduce my speed.

I will need to introduce an idler shaft with a large and small sprocket set up in a pair of bearing blocks.
Nothing is impossible but I will need to contemplate how to mount them...

Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:23 pm

This have been kind of a slow today, with much activity, but little progress to show for all the effort and dust.

I welded the supporting bracing to the main body plates and decided that once welded in place I would make and add some hooks to hold what dies I own presently.

Again the main body was laid onto my 1" thick base plate and tacked into position ready for the welding process.

Nothing special to look at but I am satisfied with the results and no warping that I can see.

Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:26 pm

Well, the pedestal is pretty much done now, so I will move onto fully assembling the paint and assemble the actual bead roller unit now.
The body of the bead roller unit will bolt to the pedestal and can be easily removed by unbolting the flanged connection.

I installed a fold down castor wheel on the base so I can either tilt the unit and roll it on the big wheels like a sack trolley or I can just flip the castor under and roll it around and park it on a corner.
Depending on weight of course as I have no idea how much this sucker will weigh but as I process, I am getting the feeling it will be heavy.
I may even need to review at a later date the quality of my small castor wheel which may not be upto the task assigned to it.

Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:27 pm

Well folks, it seems I have struck my first really tricky issue, which relates to the VFD controller I purchased to give me variable speed and a foot control mechanism.

I took it to my local electronics store and they ran a mile, all I asked for was a foot pedal and where to hook it in.

I then ventured to see a friend of mine who is pretty switched on when it come to electronics and electrical stuff, but no good.

So now I am searching for an electrical engineer I worked with a few years back who I am hoping can point me in the right direction.
Otherwise I may have just wasted a couple of hundred dollars on a box that appears to be way too advanced for what I need.

If anybody has any ideas of know that they feel they can share this is possibly the time.
I am a nothing when it comes to this stuff. :think:

In the meantime, I figure that I will just start watching lots of YouTube videos relating to these controllers to see if I can glean some information that will give me a kick start.

Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:00 pm

While I remain in limbo with respect to my VFD controller mysteries I have continued assembling my unit to help a positive spin on things.

That fortunately has been issue free.
My next step will be to fabricate some brackets to hold and locate my VFD box some where on the body of the bead roller.

Final location of the VFD can be determined later...

Oddbod Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Body and Interior