ckhorne's 1967 project

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby ckhorne » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:47 pm

And finally everything together:

IMG_2937.jpg

IMG_2938.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg

56290264015__E6A13684-ED18-4B94-8443-B423CAF97F99.jpg

All the external chrome pieces were replicas from ebay. I need to get the handles re-chromed... I haven't been able to source them otherwise.

Notable things left:
- Windshield: I've pulled it apart, and I have a serious amount of rust on the bottom of the windshield and it's beyond my ability to fix. I'm currently debating on sandblasting and having it fixed or buying a replica off ebay. I'd rather have original, but the cost of a replica is fairly low compared to the alternative..
- Seats: They've been taken out so the frames can get sandblasted and painted black, and I'll have them re-upholstered to a different color to match everything else.
- Rear tire carrier: Needs to be sandblasted and painted.
- Heater: lots of rust, so needs some work + painting, and I don't have a heater core, so I'll need to track one down.
- Wheels: sandblasted and painted or powder coated black. And new tires
- Line-x: The inside is almost cleaned up to the point where it's ready.

I also caused some kind of weird electrical problem with my reassembly, even though I made minimal disconnects when I took it all apart. I replaced all the wiring with a new harness myself (see a lot of pages ago), so it's going to just take some tedious debugging.

Sigh... I'll never be done...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ckhorne Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby ckhorne » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:30 pm

Actually.... I'd like to get some opinions...

Here's the bottom of my windshield currently:

56506602005__463282EF-8940-48EB-9C3B-1B449BD5E5FB.jpg

56506600633__38B8591C-FF3E-46FF-9048-4505D2901165.jpg

The whole thing, stripped down:

IMG_3043.jpg

My options are: sandblast the windshield ($100?) and have body work done ($250+?) or go with a reproduction like this for $630 shipped; with the latter, I'm kinda guaranteed that it should work, but I don't know if they can supply a 3-vent version...

Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ckhorne Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:44 am

That's a labor of love, indeed. I could never get away with doing that here, driveway or even in the back yard; neighbors would throw a fit, EPA regulations...

Probably best to fix the windshield frame. The reproductions won't have the triple vents, since those were phased out in '68. All the reproduction pieces are for 70's vehicles.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby ckhorne » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:54 am

RiverPatrol wrote:That's a labor of love, indeed. I could never get away with doing that here, driveway or even in the back yard; neighbors would throw a fit, EPA regulations...

I try to respect my neighbors as much as possible, and anything outside is only setup during a single day. My HOA hasn't complained yet. I'm a little surprised, but until someone complains, I'll roll with it.

I've done a fair amount of research on EPA regulations. The latest EPA regulation (rule 40 CFR Part 63, Subpart HHHHHH (6H)) that applies to stripping and painting automotive paint, allows an individual to paint up to 2 vehicles per year for personal use, as long as the paint don't contain lead, cadmium, or other heavy metals. See the EPA brochure here. However, state, local, and HOA restrictions may still apply.

Probably best to fix the windshield frame. The reproductions won't have the triple vents, since those were phased out in '68. All the reproduction pieces are for 70's vehicles.

Thanks. I sent them an email last night, and they confirmed that they only have the 2-vent windshield frames.
ckhorne Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:55 pm

I have a fairly rust free windshield frame, three vents if I recall so it pre-67. It is sand blasted and primed if I recall. If you have any interest just let me know.
L60Boerne.
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…
Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby ckhorne » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:25 am

L60Boerne wrote:I have a fairly rust free windshield frame, three vents if I recall so it pre-67. It is sand blasted and primed if I recall. If you have any interest just let me know.
L60Boerne.

Absolutely - that could work out perfectly! I'll send you a PM.
ckhorne Offline

Postby Volkmann77 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:09 pm

This whole thread is inspirational for sure. I really need to make more money in order to get some stuff done on my Patrol. :(
Volkmann77 Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….
So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby mad4hws » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:59 pm

Volkmann77 wrote:I really need to make more money in order to get some stuff done on my Patrol. :(

I think many of us share that same sentiment!
mad4hws Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Postby ckhorne » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:58 pm

Life keeps getting in the way of progress, but things continue to move forward.

The past couple weekends, I prepped the interior bed and front areas for bedliner. My initial thought was to take it to Line-X to get it professionally done, but that would have required a trailer I didn't have, and I was fairly particular on where I wanted the bedliner. So.. I did it myself using Custom Coat.

The PO had coated the inside with some kind of tarry substance that was a huge pain to remove. I didn't remove the existing coating to bare metal - just enough to remove most of it and to ensure I had plenty of bite. Note that I had replaced my gas tank with an aftermarket one, and had no need for the access panel, so I welded it in place.

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

After spending several hours masking everything off carefully, it was finally ready to spray. The kit came with the bedliner, the hardener, and the spray gun. Just pour in the hardener, shake for a few mins, and screw on the spray gun. I bought the 8 liter version, but ended up only needing 6 liters by the end, and I sprayed fairly heavy.

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

It ended up not being as thick as line-x, but came out really nice in the end. It doesn't hide imperfections all that well, either - I should have welded that gas tank access panel on there cleaner.

I was hesitant at first to do it myself, but I was amazed that it laid on as well as it did - very consistent, and not difficult at all (especially compared to painting car bodies). Time will tell how well it adheres, but so far, I'm very happy with the results.
ckhorne Offline

Postby Edgar » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:09 pm

That looks great! I can only hope mine might one day look as good. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Edgar Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Projects