Minion Missile - 1973 Colombian Patrol Project

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby Mattbob53 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:31 pm

That first link is about as creative as it gets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Mattbob53 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby mad4hws » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:14 pm

Esteban wrote:I will see if I have the choke cable and knob.

Where did you source the replacement linkage rod? Looks great.

Here's M5 carb hardware fit like a glove. I did neet to trim them down a tad, but there was plenty of thread left:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CARBURETOR-THR ... 41deef7a19

I think I purchased a choke cable and knob somewhere along the way. It's in the build pile somewhere I think. If anyone has a reference picture of how the cable runs and connects to the VHA, it would be very helpful.
mad4hws Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby mad4hws » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:20 pm

Happy new year everyone! Today Minion #3 and I did a little work on the Minion Missile. Our goal was to connect up the steering gear and linkage.

Here's the old drag link and the replacement (thank you Ron)!

I hadn't noticed this originally, but the Tie Rod was just as bad as the Drag Link. These permanent road side fixes are everywhere! it's like "where's Waldo" to try to find them all and get them all fixed.

The drag link internal components all cleaned up and ready for some new grease and re-assembly.

#3 Minion pumping some gear oil into the newly rebuilt differentials.
mad4hws Offline

Postby Esteban » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:43 pm

Thanks for all the information posted.

Really interesting fixes that are showing up on your Patrol. Very unique! :twisted:

It's great to see your kids helping you with some of the tasks. Will give this project a whole new meaning.

Happy New Year!
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby mad4hws » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:57 am

this morning I installed the drag link so that I could back the patrol out of the garage for a rocket meeting we're having today. I was going to install the drag link seal that I purchased from Ross at Sports import, then realized I needed 2 and not just one. While in my parts pile, I also noticed the toyota seals that I purchased as a substitute. Here's a picture of the two. The toyota seal on the right is much smaller diameter. I hope Ross has a few more of these - at $40 apiece, not cheap, but I think it's better than the alternative (which isn't that much cheaper)

mad4hws Offline

Postby mad4hws » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:05 pm

While I'm waiting on some rubber from Ross, I'm going to start working on connecting the brakes. The aftermarket booster that was there was shot, so the I have decided to upgrade the whole system. Everything starts with the booster, I needed to go with a smaller diameter. the old one was 9" and you can see the abrasion marks on the firewall and the steering column from the old booster. I went with the smallest that JEGS offered - 7" (pn555-631700). The dual master cylinder that Jegs recommended to go with this unit is the GM style (pn 555-631390). I also decided that a proportioning valve was probably in order. Thinking that space will be an issue, I found a kit that Master Power Brakes offers that has a braket that fits right under the master cylinder (pn vL3359K). So, these are the parts that I need to make fit. This whole assembly is probably weights >10lbs with no brake fluid, so I will need to also fashion an additional support bracket - probably to fit between the master cylinder/booster, or underneath the proportioning valve bracket. I will have to do some mock-ups to decide what is the best place. I had thought that the booster bracket that was on the patrol would work; however, the dust boot on the new booster required a larger diameter, so I had the bracket modified with a larger tube on the booster end.

mad4hws Offline

Postby Esteban » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:36 pm

Wow! It's beginning to look great what you've done so far, and will be a great reference for others.

Can't wait to see more pictures of the progress.

In mine, I have a brace that rests on the steering wheel column. You can take a look at a picture in this thread:

http://www.60patrol.com/forum/viewtopic ... 95&p=16529
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby mad4hws » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:12 pm

that's a great reference picture. thank you Esteban.
mad4hws Offline

Postby mad4hws » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:30 pm

Progress is slow, but steady. Got the new booster extension bracket painted and installed. Also made the bracket to support the extended assembly. As it turned out the bracket that holds the proportioning valve was a great attachment point. Directly underneath is the shock tower - there is enough clearance to attach the bracket there instead of the steering column. In the picture below, I have removed the brake master cylinder, so the proportioning valve bracket and newly fabricated bracket (made out of 1 1/2" angle irong) can be seen. I have to relocate the voltage regulator. Also, thinking I should replace it - does anyone have a good replacement part #?

mad4hws Offline

Postby Esteban » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:34 am

It's looking great and very professional. Congratulations. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Regarding the voltage regulator, since the Patrol doesn't have an indicator light in the panel, a number of voltage regulators can be installed (adapted). I've tried to glance from the pictures that you've posted, what type of connector that electronic voltage regulator has. My guess is that it was probably adapted at some time, but it could be also an aftermarket for Nissan (almost all Nissan vehicles with an outside regulator used the same one with different part numbers).

If that regulator is still with the original harness connector (rectangular with 6 spade type terminals) then this could be a good choice: ACDELCO E660C (available at Rockauto among others)

If adapting another voltage regulator, this is the one I've installed on mine: MOTORCRAFT Part # GR540B (also at Rockauto) Will need also the connector. I can send what terminal goes where. It's possible that you have now a similar one installed.

Please note that in an alternator, the voltage regulator controls the field voltage of the rotor, and not the total current output that is the case of a generator, so any voltage regulator can be adapted. Generators on the other hand are very particular and require a dedicated one.
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

PreviousNext

Return to Projects