Cadflat Bead Roller Project.

Got rust? Seats, panels, doors, windows, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Body & Interior' category are here.

Postby Oddbod » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:12 am

Well, I managed to assemble a couple of pic's to support my keyway post.
The exercise of creating the two keyways and making the key took about 1 hour all up and I was not in any hurry.

Apologies that these pic's are no particular order.

The broche is the toothed bar, then you have the guide which is the round cylindrical piece and the shim.
The broches are ordered according to the width of the teeth, the guide is ordered according to the hole diameter and the shims control the depth of the keyway depth and are added only after a first cut is made by the broche.
I found one shim depth was sufficient for my work.

You can look at the whole process of broaching via a YouTube search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GQ8Ujaq7MY

The more that you learn, the more your realise that you don't know...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Oddbod » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:12 pm

I've mostly got the lower chain drive & guard worked out and made.
I needed to add the 2nd tier of chain drive to get me close to the speed range I need.
Still waiting for that slow boat from China with my switches...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:57 pm

Well, the boat from China arrived today and I will get started on wiring the unit over the next couple of days.
Kinder lost my train of thought due to the wait, but I am keen to see it run.

I have now installed my switches and wired them into a the main 3 phase circuit.

The VFD is providing power to the motor and from the VFD main panel I have forward and reverse and some level of speed control, but I am of the belief that that is more performance to be had by programming.

I have not wired in my emergency stop or alternative forward/reverse switch and I am still waiting for a momentary stop/start foot pedal.

I still need help with those other circuits and must say I am finding that help difficult to obtain.

Anybody I ask around here seems to run a mile when VFD programming is mentioned. :roll: :o

Oddbod Offline

Postby Esteban » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:13 pm

Good news.

The pictures show how good fabricator you are. Great following it coming along

Wish you’ll figure out all the intricacies of the VFD.

Happy Holidays!
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Oddbod » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:21 pm

Thanks Esteban for your kind words of encouragement and may I wish you, yours and all other folks who have taken an interest in my build a very merry Christmas and a happy G60 4 x 4 new year.

I decided to make a box cover for my VFD unit, so when it is sitting around not being used the unit will be protected from dust and light bumps etc.
I had some scrap off cuts of plastic sheet that I used in my hot rod project as trim backing board.
It is a great product and works much better than the old trimmers cardboard stuff.

It can be easily cut joined, glued and curved with a heat gun.
It can also be planned, shaved, drilled and scored according to ones needs.
I used the old shaving and mixed them with acetone to make a kind of glue which works real well for butt joints.

Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:55 pm

I came a cross a very informative video that I found helpful in deciphering my VFD manual even though my VFD is not the same make/model as the one demonstrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_axxMWkEvsk

So far I have been able to activate the potentiometer which is helpful, however I am not able to raise the frequency value above 50hz which I need to do to provide myself with faster speeds when required.

Presently, my speeds are very slow and great for intricate work but not much fun doing straight line runs.

My unit is a Folinn model BD600 so if anybody out there has any idea or experience that can help me increase my Hz level to something like 100Hz, I would really like to know about it.
It seems by increasing the Hz's increases the motor speed.

I have also worked out and wired up my remote fwd/revs and emergency stop switches, but have held back on hooking them up to the VFD until I have ticked a few other boxes.

I also have my 3 wire momentary foot pedal and would l like to work out how to wire it in.

Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:26 am

I got my foot pedal and have devised a simple circuit they I expect will satisfy the use of my emergency switch, foot pedal and fwd/rev switch.

I know from reading my VFD manual that I can hook in a 3 wire reverse switch which is what I have, as there are designated tag points for that.

However I don't easily see any such information directing me for my foot pedal or emergency stop switch.

Not being any thing like an expert I have decided to incorporate all items into the one single circuit as per my attached diagram.

I just need to figure out a couple more things with respect to the tags I propose to connect to before I finally commit.

Well, it turns out I am unable to attach my diagram for a pixel issue that I don't seem to be able to beat.

Basically the common wire used to power the rev switch is interrupted firstly by the foot pedal which is NO and then via the E Stop switch which is NC.

Hit the foot pedal and every thing is live and running.
Hit the E Stop switch and very thing has no power to run with.

In a perfect world I am told I should consider running a 3 phase relay directly in contact with my motor and have the E Stop switch isolate power totally from the motor.

I may consider some way into the future, but right now I'd just like to have any E Stop and more on.
Especially one that I can do myself at low cost.

Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:49 am

After email comments from an Electrical Engineer acquaintance of mine, I have discovered a section in my manual which allows me to key in my electric motor parameters for the VFD to know.

I am getting a little more confident with the process of finding a parameter in the system and selecting a characteristic that suits my demands or setting a characteristic such as max and min motor speeds etc.

So since last posting I had a good sit down in front of the VFD with manual in hand and set a min and max motor speed.
Speed is measured by the number of Hz set in the VFD.
In my case I have set my min to 20Hz and max to 120Hz.

A rough count of revolutions after installing those settings gives me an axle speed range from approx 2.5 rpm thru to 7.25 rpm.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:11 pm

I have discovered quite by accident that once lower than approx 20 Hz there is a real possibility of major heat risk to my motor, so I set my lower limit of running speed to 20 Hz.
Fan cooled motors may overheat if run slow for too long.
The fan has an optimal speed, and the motor will produce more heat being run on lower hertz.

Also new to me is the fact that as the upper speed is increase from 50 Hz, the motors torque performance diminishes quite significantly.
This maybe a concern, but for now I am telling myself that due to the amount of mechanical gearing I have in my drive it should not be noticeable.
Here is hoping it will not... :think:

Previously, I had started compiling a small set of tools that I wanted to have attached to the body of my bead roller, so if any adjustment was required I would have the correct item at arms length to get me by. 8-)

I knocked a small plate that just by good luck covered the open top end of one of my reinforcing members, drilled some holes in it and prepped a couple of Allen keys and a socket as part of my tool kit.

Nothing fancy and pic's even worse but all part of my build. :oops:
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:48 am

Both my VFD advisors have been away with work and then vacation so I have just left it on the back burner for now.

In the meantime I have been machining some parts to assemble that are generally sold to assist with straightening and aligning differential housings.

Not wanting to buy one of these kits, I decided that I could replicate it for little money and more of my time than I would prefer, but I do need the machining experience and practice.

I wont be posting that as a thread as I am not documenting it at all.
I do own a Ford 9" housing that is bent and so there will be no harm done trying to get it straight again...

Got to keep the mind busy.
Oddbod Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Body and Interior