SOLD! - Extra Long Bed RHD Patrol Pickup

Patrols for sale

Postby futuredeadguy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:03 pm

Probably the most noteworthy part of the purchase was the delivery. The delivery driver called me from his stopping point 1/2 mile from the house. He claimed he couldn’t get to the house due to low trees, power lines, etc. Truth be told, most shipping companies have that in their disclaimer. I tried to explain there was another major road nearby that would be safer for unloading, to no avail.

So, I walked the 1/2 mile to meet Charlie, the driver. He was removing the tie-downs when I got there. There were a lot of them. At first, he motioned from his spot In the turning lane of an interstate bypass for me to stay on the side of the road. But when it was time to remove the last restraint, he needed me in the driver seat to hold the brake while he removed it, then slowly roll Ozzie to the street.

Meanwhile, have you ever been to a major racing event? Indy? F1? NASCAR? You know how when the race is really calm during a yellow flag, then the pace car leaves the track and all hell breaks loose? That was happening every 2 minutes while we were trying to get Ozzie off the truck. We were unloading 1/2 mile around a curve from one of the biggest intersections in town. Every time the light turned green, the race was back on, and it was two feet away from us with no wall or fence between us and the cars. Charlie never flinched. At the same time, I was wondering about the holding power of my underwear.

Despite my request to handle the delivery payment and sign-off after we got Ozzie off the highway, we handled it right there in the middle of the race.

Once off the main road, all was good. We got Ozzie to the house and in the garage.

I have bought a lot of vehicles over the years. This will be my most memorable. This Thanksgiving, I am grateful to be alive to enjoy this truck.

Jim
'76 280z, '79 620 Pick-up, ‘79 G60 Patrol Pick-up, '82 G61 Patrol, '11 Murano LE AWD, '15 Q50S AWD
futuredeadguy Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:19 pm

futuredeadguy wrote:As you know from PMs, we’re doing Thanksgiving weekend at the beach. I drove the 3.5 hours from Hatteras to take delivery...

I was surprised that he made the delivery on Thanksgiving. Guess it was convenient for him.

futuredeadguy wrote:First impression is that it won’t be as difficult as I thought. Took me a bit to orient to the reversed shift pattern and actually find the gears, but I’ll get it.

The shift pattern will probably be the easiest part to get used to. Remembering that everything else is reversed is the challenge to wrap your head around; turn signal, window, shifter, etc. Then, staying positioned correctly in your lane is the tricky part. I had to keep reminding myself to pay attention to the fog line, not the center line, even after I’d driven it for a while. You’re fortunate to have the opportunity to learn where you’re comfortable. My first introduction to RHD was a crash course. Landed at London Gatwick airport and had to be in Rochester, 1 ½ hours away. The only option was to rent a car. That was exciting. :roll:

It’s nice to know that Ozzie continues to generate memorable sagas. When I obtained him it was also memorable.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby futuredeadguy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:42 pm

BTW, that VW single cab was still on the transporter when it got to me. Headed to Virginia Beach. I used to be majorly into VWs until I decided they were bad luck for me. Restored and destroyed two Karmann Ghias. I’ve grown up a good bit since those days. I sent photos that RiverPatrol posted of Ozzie being picked up to a friend who is probably THE air-cooled VW guru east of the Mississippi. He owns a similar single cab. His comment: “I’d much rather have the Patrol”.

Jim
'76 280z, '79 620 Pick-up, ‘79 G60 Patrol Pick-up, '82 G61 Patrol, '11 Murano LE AWD, '15 Q50S AWD
futuredeadguy Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:16 am

8-)

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby mdawg4x4 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:06 pm

futuredeadguy wrote:
zed wrote:So, what is hiding under the car cover?
Keith

That’s my ‘76 280 I picked up in Tucson about six years ago while on a project there. Been a Z guy since 1987. New to Patrols, but I’m hooked for good.

Jim

I love the 620 and 240Z. And the Z has the headlamp covers! Rare if original! Cool if reproduction pieces!
I learned to drive a 74 620. When I learned about the Patrol 10yrs or so ago, the Z went on the back burner. Maybe some day.
63 Nissan Patrol project, 1967 Nissan Patrol, 2012 Nissan Xterra (daughter's), 2017 Jeep JKUR, 1998 Jeep TJ
mdawg4x4 Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby futuredeadguy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:35 pm

mdawg4x4 wrote:
futuredeadguy wrote:
zed wrote:So, what is hiding under the car cover?
Keith

That’s my ‘76 280 I picked up in Tucson about six years ago while on a project there. Been a Z guy since 1987. New to Patrols, but I’m hooked for good.

Jim

I love the 620 and 240Z. And the Z has the headlamp covers! Rare if original! Cool if reproduction pieces!
I learned to drive a 74 620. When I learned about the Patrol 10yrs or so ago, the Z went on the back burner. Maybe some day.

Unfortunately, the covers are the $75 kind from Motorsport Auto. They look pretty cool with the Truck Lite 7" LED headlamps, though. LOVE those lights. A buddy of mine has the real ones on his '71 240. He was leaving Cars and Coffee at Nissan headquarters in Franklin, TN a few weeks ago and the guy in front of him at the stop sign driving a Silverado decided to go backward instead of forward. The real ones are glass with a chrome bezel and yep, you guessed it. The last pair I saw on eBay - about the only place you can get them - sold for $2600. Not a typo.

Anyway, I spent some time with the family today. Everyone had shots of Sta-Bil to celebrate the cold weather and generally got all charged up. First time I've had with Ozzie since the delivery, due to work. The love seems to compound by the minute around this truck. Family photos from today attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
futuredeadguy Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:04 pm

That's a good looking family. 8-)

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby mdawg4x4 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:14 pm

Been busy and haven't been on here lately, but that is one beautiful Datsun/Nissan lineup that "warms my fuzzies", as one of my mechanical engineering professors use to say! I wish I had my 2 Datsun 620 trucks and my 89 Hard Body KC back.
63 Nissan Patrol project, 1967 Nissan Patrol, 2012 Nissan Xterra (daughter's), 2017 Jeep JKUR, 1998 Jeep TJ
mdawg4x4 Offline

Postby futuredeadguy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:46 pm

mdawg4x4 wrote:Been busy and haven't been on here lately, but that is one beautiful Datsun/Nissan lineup that "warms my fuzzies", as one of my mechanical engineering professors use to say! I wish I had my 2 Datsun 620 trucks and my 89 Hard Body KC back.

Thanks very much, mdawg4x4. I love ‘em all. Probably my biggest regret is selling my ‘68 2000 Roadster a few years back. Garage space is maxed out now, so probably not another one in my future.

No worries - plenty of toys to keep me busy.
futuredeadguy Offline

Postby futuredeadguy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:46 pm

Scale model of Ozzie coming soon. Killing some time until the garage warms up. 1/12 scale styrene. I’ve got the body measured an drawn. Will start the difficult measuring next - underbody, interior panels, etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
futuredeadguy Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Vehicles