I need help - engine

Won't run? Engine, cooling system, fuel pump, carb, clutch, tranny, brakes, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Engine & Mechanical' category are here.

Postby Redpatrol7760 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:26 pm

So, my 67 took its maiden voyage this weekend. Just had carb send off and rebuilt, new wiring harness installed, and few other items added. Couple trips around the block, couple hill climbs on the back of the proprty, and then a spirited drive down the road. All fine and good. Later on Sunday I drove my normal drive to work. Roughly 5 miles in and I hear knocking (uh oh) then I pull into a parking lot and hear a loud squeal then the truck jerks and I shut it off. Look around pop the hood and there is a small amount of smoke coming from the entry hole on top of the motor. Let everything settle and cool down before I try to get back home. About a mile in loud squeal and engine shuts off. It won’t restart and I get a tow home. This morning I go out to truck and it starts and runs with the knocking g still there. Any ideas of what I messed up???

I also have a video of noise but can’t post to forum.
Redpatrol7760 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby Redpatrol7760 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:37 pm

IMG_2148.jpg

Here is a pic of it while the fun lasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Redpatrol7760 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby mad4hws » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:16 pm

in the immortal words of Joe Dirt

Dang.....

I have no idea what it could be (others most assuredly will). I feel for you though, that sounds like my kind of luck. I hope it is an easy fix.
mad4hws Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Postby Esteban » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:00 pm

Very sorry to hear about this mishap. The combination of the loud squeal and the knocking is a bit worrisome and difficult to come by with an explanation. A connecting rod seizing temporarily on the crankshaft might produce the squeal sound, although I've never heard it (I did seized an engine once). You might have to do a compression test of all the cylinders as an starting point, and also drain the oil and carefully inspecting it for any signs of unusual debris.

Was the knock present at all times, idling, coasting, accelerating?

At this point I will suggest not to drive it until you can pinpoint the cause and to avoid any further damage.

If anything points to the engine, opening it is not difficult and can be done with it in the vehicle. However, any damage done to the internals will require rebuilding it.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Redpatrol7760 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:36 am

Yes Esteban, my next thought was to drain oil and inspect. I’m sure this will require rebuild or maybe repower all together.

I have to say the brief time I got to drive it I was on cloud 9. It drove way better than expected and I can’t wait to have it back on the road.

Redpatrol7760 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:56 am

What condition is the water pump and belt in? Maybe it overheated?
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Redpatrol7760 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:04 am

River, I’ll check water pump when I get a chance. That is my thought too.

Redpatrol7760 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby Redpatrol7760 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:11 pm

I have been emailing videos with Esteban and he narrowed to a failed rod bearing. Others I’d explained the issue to agreed. Looks like I’ll be learning how to rebuild an engine. River, I do believe that it is the result of over heating but have yet to inspect the water pump and belt. It’s dark here at 5:00 and I haven’t made room in the garage yet

Redpatrol7760 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby Redpatrol7760 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:12 pm

I meant to add that Esteban is beyond helpful! I knew when he chimed in that we’d have the issue pin pointed

Redpatrol7760 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:02 am

Redpatrol7760 wrote:I have been emailing videos with Esteban and he narrowed to a failed rod bearing. Others I’d explained the issue to agreed. Looks like I’ll be learning how to rebuild an engine. River, I do believe that it is the result of over heating but have yet to inspect the water pump and belt. It’s dark here at 5:00 and I haven’t made room in the garage yet

Well, that sucks. :| The condition of the water pump is moot now, you'll want to replace it or rebuild it when you rebuild the engine anyway. Out of curiosity, what's the mileage on your Patrol?
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Engine and Mechanical