I need help - engine

Won't run? Engine, cooling system, fuel pump, carb, clutch, tranny, brakes, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Engine & Mechanical' category are here.

Postby Redpatrol7760 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:13 am

Well it shows 76k but mileage isn’t working and I don’t know how long it has been stuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redpatrol7760 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:54 pm

Thanks. From what I've seen it seems that the Patrol engine will typically need a rebuild between 80k - 100k miles, so it seems that yours is close to that range. Higher mileage indicates potentially more highway driving, higher revs sustained for longer periods. The P engine bearings really don't like that. I think it could off road forever though.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Redpatrol7760 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:10 pm

I have moved the patrol inside now and started looking around. Took the top of the motor and noticed a lot sludge and build up. I’m guessing from over heating. Also lots of debris in fuel filter. I pulled and cleaned the tank a year ago but hasn’t run much since what’s the remedy here? Also, I’m really torn on what to do. I could rebuild this engine but also seen a lot of luck from posters putting in 350 small block. Honestly, this hurts to even think about but the availability of parts is a big plus. If I did this I’d also replace axles and transmission.

IMG_2252.jpg
ImageImage

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Redpatrol7760 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:33 am

My personal opinion is that swapping the stock engine for something "with better parts availability" isn't a sound argument. Once you rebuild or swap the engine, you're not going to have to worry about engine parts for the rest of the time that you own the vehicle. And, there isn't an availability issue for the majority of the P engine parts. Just my two cents.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Volkmann77 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:47 am

Nothing worth doing is easy. Keep it original IMO.
Volkmann77 Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….
So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby Redpatrol7760 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:38 pm

I agree. I should have stayed with my gut and not ventured down that avenue. The idea of a Chevy engine made me uneasy. I think it’s cool but not for me. I’ll rebuild the P engine. I’ll continue my research. For now I’ll sit in the driver seat and dream of driving haha

Redpatrol7760 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:31 pm

Redpatrol7760 wrote:For now I’ll sit in the driver seat and dream of driving haha

Yup. You've had a taste of how cool they are to drive now. You've got incentive to get back there.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Peter60 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:08 am

I'm stunned that you could drive it with all that sludge in the engine. And as for the fuel filter :o

Maybe pick up a second hand engine and get it running first. Its easier to swap engines rather that rebuild - well it is for me anyway.

That way you will prove its drivable and you can the sort out the other issues (brakes, diffs etc etc). You can also have a bit of fun. Then rebuild the engine.
Not sure if I will get there.
Not sure if I will get back.
But I usually do!!!
Peter60 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Redpatrol7760 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:07 pm

I have basically done nothing to the patrol over the last 10 months due to a big house renovation. I have gotten motivation and money in the last few months to get going again. The motivation came from my dad buying a Land Rover series 2a, it’s sweet but no patrol. Would love to get going on rides with him. I have added a curt hitch receiver to be able to put my basket rack on. I’ve also changed the color of the patrol (at home paint job). Wish it had been the original color when I got it alas it is now a girly blue my wife will love. I’ve also started tearing into the engine. The second rod bearing from the back was the issues. The two bearings were basically fused together. That piston only had an scoring of significance everything else looks great. I’ll slowly rebuild from here hope to be patrolling one day soon! Got to say how much I enjoy this place. So much information that I feel confident in what I see when I take things apart.
Redpatrol7760 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby Redpatrol7760 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:19 pm

Just pics of piston, rod bearing, dads Land Rover, and the curt receiver
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Redpatrol7760 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Engine and Mechanical