my 1967 patina project build

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby Edgar » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:52 am

Looking at your picture of all the parts laid out sends shivers up my spine. I can deal with the rust and body stuff but know next to nothing about the mechanics. I have a long way to go!! :o
Edgar Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby rdarnell » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:18 am

it is really not that bad. The exploded view diagram and picture help keep things in order. Only a couple of the gears have the possibility of being flipped. The reverse idler in the bottom is offset with the boss facing front. And the big first/reverse slider gear has the shifter fork slot facing forward too. Making sure all gears line up correctly and spacers are in correct place is a must. Just take apart slowly and take note of how things came apart. Also when taking the synchronizer apart watch for three flying balls. I have noticed that the manual refers to this as the 3rd & 4th Synchro?? The exploded diagram also shows the bolt that holds the reverse idler going through the center of the pin in the oiling hole, it actually goes in the end of the shaft the gear centers over the oiling hole.
rdarnell Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:51 am

Edgar wrote:Looking at your picture of all the parts laid out sends shivers up my spine. I can deal with the rust and body stuff but know next to nothing about the mechanics. I have a long way to go!! :o

It's rarely necessary to go to this length when bring a Patrol back to life.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby rdarnell » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:55 am

I was hoping to do a cleanup, inspection, and reseal like I did on my land Cruiser but I was not so fortunate. hopefully I can catch a break with the axles!
rdarnell Offline

Postby Esteban » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:05 pm

Great pictures and comments, along with the added notes of caution. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Where did you source the needle bearing for the input shaft? And probably will help others noting the other bearing codes and location.

Keep the pictures coming as the assembly progresses. :)
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby rdarnell » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:39 pm

Looking at a prior forum post, I found a diagram that showed the bearing part numbers and at the top whoever made the list showed 26 needle bearings measuring 2.99mm X 19.9mm. So I hit the ebay link and purchased the KT202620 caged needle bearing. But after getting it and noticing that my 24 (not 26) needle bearing are longer (28mm) I did some searching and found on Amazon a KT202627 caged needle bearing that should work much better. The bearing is 20mm inside diam X 26mm outside diam X 27 length. I would like to find a 28mm bearing but nothing came up for me, so I bought the 27mm. Once I have all the bearings and seals i was planning to list the part numbers and location, figured it might be a bit premature to list them before I verify I have the right parts. Unfortunately buying the 20mm long needle bearing and having to reorder the correct one last night might mean I will not be able to put together this weekend.
rdarnell Offline

Postby Esteban » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:14 pm

rdarnell wrote:Looking at a prior forum post, I found a diagram that showed the bearing part numbers and at the top whoever made the list showed 26 needle bearings measuring 2.99mm X 19.9mm. So I hit the ebay link and purchased the KT202620 caged needle bearing. But after getting it and noticing that my 24 (not 26) needle bearing are longer (28mm) I did some searching and found on Amazon a KT202627 caged needle bearing that should work much better. The bearing is 20mm inside diam X 26mm outside diam X 27 length. I would like to find a 28mm bearing but nothing came up for me, so I bought the 27mm. Once I have all the bearings and seals i was planning to list the part numbers and location, figured it might be a bit premature to list them before I verify I have the right parts. Unfortunately buying the 20mm long needle bearing and having to reorder the correct one last night might mean I will not be able to put together this weekend.

That caged needle bearing was installed by Coyote Patrol on his transmission. The length of the bearing is not crucial, but certainly the KT202627 will work better. I tried to get the individual needle bearings some years ago just to have them in stock, and at the end member robs30m from New Zealand send me them (he's no longer active and sold his Patrol 4 years ago). The caged bearing will make for a much easier installation.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby rdarnell » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:23 pm

the potential forward and backward movement of the needle bearing may not make and difference but yes one closer in length would be better. I have my needle bearings and they may very well be uesable but I like the ease of use of the caged bearing... dropping needles is a real pain in the butt. I have a friend that builds axles and transmissions and was planning on checking with him once I have the longer bearing in hand. The diagram otherwise is a very helpful item.
rdarnell Offline

Postby rdarnell » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:26 am

Took transmission and transfer case out of the 1963 parts rig this weekend. The truck used to have a PTO but is has been gone for a while and the side of the trans was left open for an undetermined amount of time. a couple gears have some rust and pits but not sure if that is from the trans being open. After pulling apart and cleaning up I was able to do some inspecting. The needle bearings and races on the input and output shaft are in great condition. The gear on the input has a little pitting but I think the better bearing surface trumps some minor pitting on the gear. The counter shaft from the 1963 has rust pits on some of the gears so I will keep mine. I had to reorder the front counter shaft bearing after determining the diagram was wrong again. the original was listed as a NUP205 replace by 6205J, the original is a SKF 205B and is a 2 part bearing the 6305J is a tyipcal roller ball bearing and would make it a little harder for disassembly. I will be posting pictures and more info on part numbers when I have everything and ready to install.
rdarnell Offline

Postby rdarnell » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:45 pm

Also on a side note the transfer case in the 1963 was the second version with the speedo gear located at the real of the transfer case. There is a plastic plug in the front opening and the rear output housing is made of aluminum. The 1965 parts truck had a 1967 engine in it and I am pretty sure the trans and TC are also from 1967 as is has the later verison with the speedo gear on the front of the TC but still being driven off the main output shaft.
rdarnell Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Projects