Cadflat DIY Wheel Stands - Stackable.

DIYs, FAQs and anything else that doesn't fit in another topic

Postby Oddbod » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:38 pm

I have been looking around the internet for some ideas and inspiration.
I'd like to make some decent height wheel stands so I can stand a car project above the floor with its wheels resting on stands.
Seems a safe way to do stuff and also have enough clearance for a garage trolley to be able to run underneath without bumping my head.

I am not specifically targeting this to 4WD guys as most of those vehicles generally by their nature have good under clearance.
As you guys would mostly know I don't even own a 4WD vehicle at present.
This still can be a simple DIY to do at home with few tools required and can be used on any vehicle really.

Originally, being mostly a metal guy, I was expecting to find some project posted that would catch my eye and inspire me to do a similar metal build.
However in my search it became quite apparent that, I would be better off making my stands out of wood.
Only thing is, where I reside wood/lumber is not nearly cheap or common place here any more and off cuts are highly prized locally.

So I figured that I'd search around and see if I could start stock piling off cuts until I had enough to construct what I see as compatible with my requirements.
Stay tuned as I plan to make a start now...
Oddbod Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby mdawg4x4 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:01 pm

63 Nissan Patrol project, 1967 Nissan Patrol, 2012 Nissan Xterra (daughter's), 2017 Jeep JKUR, 1998 Jeep TJ
mdawg4x4 Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Postby Oddbod » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:33 pm

Funny as I too have all those items that you mention.
I am not a fan of those drive on ramps as I have known of or heard of people that have for what ever reason driven over the front edge of them and done damage to their car.
I have the metal ramps and they can be inclined to slide on concrete floors and boy would they do some damage if they flipped.

Now I have my stash of lumber off cuts that cost no $'s I will proceed.

I have more if required, most off which came from a local roof project nearby.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:52 pm

This kind of wheel stand seems to be one of the most popular for a DIY guys and allow you to build up pretty darn high if required.

These are fine but not my choice of style.

For me I believe the main idea behind wheel stands is the safety plus ability to raise the vehicle quite high and providing mostly a clear floor work space underneath...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Esteban » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:32 pm

I was thinking in something like that when I saw your first post.

Years ago my brother decided to make similar supports, since after doing some heavy shelving, ended up with too many remnants of 1.5”x1.5”. He decided to build the supports instead. He has used them for over 20 years, although never under the wheels, only chassis or axles. Great also to support bottle jacks

He’s going to send me some photos tomorrow.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Oddbod » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:57 pm

Well, if they cost little or nothing and help out once in a while they have done their job in my book.
Being able to stack and store them is the other part that I need.
That is why I was firstly attracted to metal stand since they are more easily compressed and stacked if worked out right.

I have now made my first cuts, using what I have and I'll keep you guessing a little longer.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:01 am

A good half days work in my shop and they are starting to come together.

Now just remember I am a metal work guy not a carpenter.
The product I produce will be usable and sturdy, but ain't going to win any prizes at the County Fair...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:22 pm

Finally got hold of some decking type screws and assembled my stands.

I have made a set of 4 so far which stand about 6 inches tall and will lift my current project off axle stand and onto wheel stands, now that I have progressed along.

I still have enough off cuts to make at least another 2 stands at 6 inches as well as 2 stands at about 7 1/2 inches.

The stands can be stacked one on top of the other to double the raised height should I see the need.

I plan to give them a quick coat of paint some time soon, once I have checked my old paint stash...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Esteban » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:20 pm

Great progress!

These are the wooden supports that I was mentioning from my brother. He told me that they are probably 30 years old! The pictures were taken today. I added the dimensions in inches. The others are in centimeters.

Wooden Supports.jpg
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Next

Return to General Tech