Cadflat DIY Wheel Stands - Stackable.

DIYs, FAQs and anything else that doesn't fit in another topic

Postby Oddbod » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:46 pm

Way to go Esteban, sharing ideas is always helpful to the folks following behind us.
When it comes to low cost projects, running with what materials you have at hand always works out best, but is not always the best way to do stuff.

I have 4 units now, so I have a usable set for 4 wheels, but while I am in the mood, I'd like to finish building another 4 units so I can stack them at each wheel if required.

Right now I am out of a couple of sizes of lumber, so I must scrounge around until I find what I need.
I want a pair of 2 units to be slightly taller in height as many hot rods run larger diameter tire at the rear and hence one pair of slightly taller units would help level things up.
Oddbod Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Oddbod » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:31 pm

Here is a pic of my new wheel stand set underneath a rear wheel on my hot rod project.

The wheel is actually suspended by an axle stand hidden in the background, but does prove that my new device will be sufficiently high enough to do the same job, but proving much more free space under the chassis to move around on a garage creeper trolley.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:02 pm

Here is a better pic showing how much space is freed up when the axle stand is able to be removed.

Both stands serve a purpose and it is nice to have a choice of either depending on the circumstances.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:38 pm

I decided that I would paint these stands as a means of improving the look of my bad wood work skills.
I got a coat of primer on now and that has helped the appearance already...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:08 am

Finally a lick of paint to help enhance an average job...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Esteban » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:36 am

They are looking great, and certainly will perform the intended function.

It has given me some interest in replicating them. I have another car that has air suspension on all four wheels, with a big travel. It's a pain raising this car on jack stands, coupled with the fact that there are no good support points that will allow you to move freely underneath. Your idea is on point! Thanks.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Oddbod » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:06 am

Well Esteban and anybody else who might be keen on reproducing a set of these wheel stands, I can say they will get good use out of them because they are quick and easy to pop under a wheel which provides easy access to inspect something that maybe concerning you as well as offering a high level of safety.

Just to help make your experience even easier should you decide to build a set, here is a link to the YouTube video that inspired and motivated me to go ahead with my build.

Best of luck, Russ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUNYVgEyoXU
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:13 am

Last 4 units completed and painted.
Boy, I am glad that is behind me now. :dance:
Note 2 of this last batch of 4 are about 1 1/2 inches taller...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:22 pm

My daughter tells me I should post the attached when I reach the end of my Thread.
So here goes, just for fun...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:57 am

Happy new year folks, sorry I've been off the radar for some time now.
Funny story now, but not at the time.

Firstly, I have cured my own liver issues related to my 3 jabs and been dismissed from the hospital patient list.
They tell my numbers were excellent and all was good.
It has taken almost 1 year to achieve, no thanks to the Dr's who seemed happy to monitor but not treat me.

I then get food poisoning from salami on a pizza which knocked me around for 2 weeks and then if that wasn't enough bad luck, I get bitten in my sleep by an angry poisonous spider which bit me several time, so I assume it unloaded all of its venom into me.

That was 8 weeks ago and initially I just felt bad and did not really know what had a occured.
I suffered numerous symptoms, some it turns out were a direct result of the spiders venom and the remainder appear to be as a result of the venom seriously upsetting my recently improved liver.

All I can say is that I'm glad my liver was improved, because I dont know how I would have coped earlier when my liver was in bad shape.

I struggled to walk for about 10 days as my feet and leg swelled up so bad, I could not even fit shoes...

Pleased to say, now I am much better and feeling like going back out into the shed...

With the run of bad luck I've had there is no way I'd get into an aeroplane...
Oddbod Offline

PreviousNext

Return to General Tech