Green Machine Rebuild Starts 5-9-16 - Patrollee Help Needed

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:33 am

I'd hold off on condemning the steering box just yet. If you're missing the spring from the drag links that could be the source of your problem. I'd correct that first.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby plateaucal » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:34 pm

Here is a link to the steeering parts they have. The drag link internals numbers match the 1973 parts manual. They also have tie rod ends that also match. I posted in the Parts for sale the links and another member has successfully purchased from them. This may be a good opportunity for a group buy. Here is the link to the steering parts: http://www.jointfuji.com/pat60-f.HTML

Here is the link to the site. http://www.jointfuji.com/jointfuji_catalogs.htm Half way down the page is the link for 60 series parts.
plateaucal Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby plateaucal » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:36 pm

Peter60 is the one that previously purchased from them. Seems like with your fleet you may need to by parts by the container.

You may see about getting some synchros for the white patrol as well.
plateaucal Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:06 pm

Greetings,

I bought my Patrols as tools. All have been rebuilt for safe operation with special attention on the drive train and brakes as you know, though I'm still working on the list steering on the 63 at this time.

I need them (63 and 65) to traverse Engineer's Pass. 12,500 ft of easy travel except for some steep spots and altitude.

Question..the FJ40 was issued with a built in High Altitude Compensation (HAC) device in the carb that speeds up the timing. They do fine on the Alpine Loop.

Given both bid to the same Niponese gov military spec while doesn't the OEM (Hitachi on 63)Patrol carb offer the same device?

It may not be needed? I have high altitude jets in both the 63 and 65. I've tested them to 11,000, no real issues.

In June...I really want to make the loop. Esteban and RiverPatrol are accomplished high altitude drivers.

I'm all ears.

Patrolling towards the clouds,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:33 am

I wouldn't consider myself experienced with high altitude. The local mountains were good for about 8000 feet. Most of my experiences were using the Rochester carb. Biggest issue was stalling when approaching a sudden steep incline. You get very good at using the hand throttle in those situations.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby plateaucal » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:49 am

I find that the most effective technique for ascending steep hills at high altitude is with my seat belt off and the door slightly ajar. Works really well going down hill too! Seriously though, if you are running good at 11,000 then you should be fine. You could tweak your idle mixture screw(s) a little bit and also increase the idle speed (Forgot about that handy dandy Patrol hand throttle). That is what I have done for extended high altitude travel. My 78 Bronco (Motorcraft 2150, the god of carbs) made the trip a few times.
plateaucal Offline

Postby Esteban » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:38 am

I'm certainly no accomplished high altitude driver. :oops: I used to live at 9500 ft and from time to time go to some places at higher elevations, but never changed the setup that I had for my daily driver routine, which basically consisted on running the Hitachi VC42 carb with a 125 jet, instead of the 135 for sea level, and also advancing the timing to 13° BTDC, instead of 10°.

Since you loose some compression at higher elevations, you can advance the timing a few degrees without risking having piston knocking, and gaining a little bit of power in the process. In fact, the owner's manual calls the screw that secures the distributor base, "octane selector".
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby L60Boerne » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:48 am

Thank you all to the Mike High Brain Trust. I am going to the warehouse and dig out my hand throttle parts and pieces and throw them at Eddy the Eagle's front door then run away. I wanted him to mount one on the shifter like Ford 13 speed locker selector but I couldn't get that done.

Patrolling soon,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Postby plateaucal » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:28 pm

Let me know if you need some parts for the hand throttle. I think I have the whole thing, unless I already gave it to you, can't remember.
plateaucal Offline

Postby plateaucal » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:47 pm

Okay, I suggest we set a time. Get the brakes adjusted...check the tune. Then we go come hell or high water. I'm in. We have a moral obligation to see what we can do with these vehicles. So, unless you beat me to it, we will take yours and mine up over the pass.
plateaucal Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Projects