Greetings from Bogota, Colombia

New members, tell us about yourself and your Patrol. Don't be shy!

Postby npatrol1976 » Sun May 05, 2019 11:22 am

American living in Bogota, Colombia (where there are entire neighborhoods dedicated to campero restoration and parts) and I just picked up a '76 Patrol (my first). I've been torn between the FJ, Patrol, and Santana, all of which are readily available at varying price points and levels of restoration. I settled on the Patrol as the drive was better and it had more space than the others I drove (and I got a killer price on a recently restored vehicle). I'll be in Bogota another 2 years before returning to the States, and am greatly looking forward to reading the posts on this board. Cheers. Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
npatrol1976 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun May 05, 2019 4:22 pm

Welcome to 60Patrol! :text-welcomeconfetti: Congratulations on the purchase of that beautiful Patrol! You're certainly in the right place to enjoy it. 8-)
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby L60Boerne » Sun May 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Hey Ken, Your Patrol looks great. Be sure to bring it home with you. Now, please consider helping a brother out..please. We need a source for the front and bed floor mats. Your look new so somebody down there is making them. I'd think ten sets would go pretty fast.

I'd be glad to buy them and distribute them up here.

Patrolling when possible,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…
Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby npatrol1976 » Sun May 05, 2019 7:09 pm

L60Boerne, I'd be happy to take a look. I'm planning to have the Safari rack installed so I'll inquire when I head over to the neighborhood ("7 Augosto" in Chapinero).

Ken
npatrol1976 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby hartmanjw » Sun May 05, 2019 9:58 pm

Your Patrol looks awesome. I love the longer wheelbase models and later tops. How much are decent condition ones for sale for, down there, in dollars? There are so many parts you could probably purchase there and send to the States.

If you are able to find 69 and later door hinges (or just the hinge pins) or rear door window glass weatherstripping, it would be a huge help.

Looking forward to hearing what all is readily available. I’m sure this group could finance a pretty solid income for a while if you set up an EBay patrol parts store! Also, completely understand if you don’t have the time.

Jeff in Portland, Oregon
hartmanjw Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby npatrol1976 » Sun May 05, 2019 10:25 pm

Hi Jeff, thanks for the kind words. I'm planning to ask the seller for a recommendation on where he sourced his parts for the build. There's literally an entire neighborhood of shops unlike anything I've seen before. Although I speak Spanish (in a limited capacity for my job), navigating that labyrinth is daunting by any standard. I'll report back as I too want to find a reliable source of parts. My job is very demanding so I likely won't have the bandwidth beyond a few assists. Regarding price, I spent a whopping $4900 USD out the door. I'm planning to purchase an FJ43 as well once the dust settles a bit. As a temp resident, I have the highly soughtafter Cedula Extranjero, which allows me to purchase. Colombia, with all its challenges, is a wonderful place to live. Getting to leave with some great, classic vehicles is only a bonus.
npatrol1976 Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby curlrider11 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:48 am

Wow gorgeous. What a gem. Lucky duck! Enjoy it!
"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice. " Pr. 12:15
curlrider11 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon May 06, 2019 11:11 am

hartmanjw wrote:... or rear door window glass weatherstripping, it would be a huge help.

They didn't get the factory hard tops in Colombia so they didn't have the rear doors with the window in them. Hence they would have no need for a source for the rubber.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby hartmanjw » Tue May 07, 2019 7:38 pm

Thanks for the info, RiverPatrol. Was hoping the later model hard tops like Ken’s would have similar rubber in rear door glass but maybe they changed it. You come across a source for them, ever? I had new glass cut and a local shop install but the radius was too tight for their weatherstripping and it wrinkles at the corners do it is only s temporary bandaid.
hartmanjw Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed May 08, 2019 10:16 am

None of the hardtops available in Colombia are factory, they are all aftermarket. This makes it very unlikely that any of the parts from theirs would be compatible with ours. Finding something that comes close and works is the best bet.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself!