Cadflat Bead Roller Project.

Got rust? Seats, panels, doors, windows, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Body & Interior' category are here.

Postby Esteban » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:21 pm

Oddbod wrote:That sounds promising Esteban, I look forward to reading words of wisdom from any experienced machinist.

Funny thing is at times I feel that the only active members on this forum are you and me... hahahaha!!!

That was RiverPatrol with the suggestion of Coyote Patrol!
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Oddbod » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:18 am

Oh and River Patrol, my apologies...
Oddbod Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Oddbod » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:54 am

Here is an interesting homemade tool that I found posted on the internet that maybe in inspiring to some of you DIY guys out there.
You just can't have too many tools and helpful devices...

Great for preparing the ends of fuel lines and the like when they attach to rubber hose...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Tue May 14, 2019 7:30 pm

Well, I went to use my bead roller for the first time with a project in mind.
Low and behold, the darn thing was all over the place with stops and starts intermittently, it drove me nuts.
Being that I have the electronic VFD speed controller fitted and this area is my weak point, I figured it just had to be in there some where...
I took out my setting manual and ran thru all the parameters to check that nothing had changed.
Scratching my head, since I was sure it was going to be the tricky stuff that was playing, I decided to look at the next weal link, being the foot pedal since that controls all the stopping and starting.

I removed it from the unit and dis-assembled it on the bench, I was familiar with it as I had wired it up.
Once apart, I discovered that the pedal mechanism that triggers a small switch was not set up correctly during manufacture, I did a quick mounting modification and all is good now.
The switch now has a built in adjustment which can easily be corrected at any time.
Cheap Chinese junk, well not really, it seems sturdy enough, but just a few more seconds of thought would ensure perfection...

So on with my project now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 pm

My first real project using my bead roller is for a pulley cover on my hot rod project.
I have a power steering pulley to my way of thinking is OK as it is however I have concerns that when the vehicle is presented for licensing the authorities may have other ideas.

So rather than fighting it I figured that I would just go ahead and make something up that should remove and risk of fingers being caught.
I've used 1.6mm aluminum.

The finished product can be seen in my other thread which has early posts of the actual project vehicle should you care to look further...

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4739&start=30
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sat May 25, 2019 8:59 pm

Since my project car is almost finished an the thought of making a hood is a total after thought, I decided to make a replica engine bay structure which I can use for test fitting up.

I copied the firewall and radiator grille shell profiles and spaced them apart as per my engine bay measurement.
I also ensure the relative height elevation was correct.
I've made this wooden replica out of scrap wood as I don't see any value in spending $'s for looks alone.

I have them cut out a piece of gasket sheet I had on hand to get a template for my sheet metal cutting requirements.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Tue May 28, 2019 7:20 pm

I managed to find an old roll of gasket paper which was of a suitable width and thickness to lend itself to cover my wood engine bay replica.
This paper is draped over the wood opening and shaped to replicate the sheet metal covering that will become the shape of the hood once used as a template to cut out the correct shaped sheet metal. :pray:

I need to allow a little extra around the edge for a hem and any other folds that maybe required for stiffening and locking down... :think:
Oddbod Offline

Postby Esteban » Tue May 28, 2019 10:20 pm

Will be very interesting to follow. Not for the faint of heart, but certainly the “flat” paper will help a lot with shaping the sheet metal prior to rolling.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Oddbod » Wed May 29, 2019 6:55 pm

Well, I started making the wooden base which will become the form used to press/shape my opening for the air cleaners to protrude thru.
I am still trying to maintain my philosophy of using what I have or what I can scrounge where possible.
I found a off cut on a building site of a glue laminated beam which I determined was made from hard wood and perfect for my requirements.
So, I have now drilled a large hole thru the center to give me a window for knock out my pressing should it jamb, plus it also removes some of the material that I would otherwise need to route out later with my router...
I figure that I should be making in roads towards preparing for the opening pressing as I need to get a handle on this since I have never done such a operation before, and I am starting to realise that the pressing itself is becoming a project within a project.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:44 pm

I got my hood photo shopped onto a picture of my engine bay and discovered that my twin carb air cleaners protruded thru.
This now means that I need to account for an opening in the center of the hood.
Hence the wooden pressing base.
Oddbod Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Body and Interior